ESA Woes

thegct
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5543 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After being sent from pillar to post, I've finally got my ESA claim in, and pending.

What I wanted to ask was, as I am 18, I am under the youth rules for ESA, and therefor will receive no money until I have 6 months worth of continuous sick notes. So no money for me until the end of April.

Is there anything I can claim whilst I am waiting?, My housing benefit was stopped as I couldn't send proof of income (as I have no income).

As it stands, I've had zero coming in since september, and owe friends thousands of pounds - who are now reluctant to lend more.

Anyone know if I can get IS temporarily? Or anything for that matter.

The reason I as ask is I don't want to call up and be pushed from pillar to post all over again, explaining my situation to 20 different people and getting nowhere.

Ok, this might come across as rude but it's not meant that way.

The best thing you can do is call up. We don't know your exact circumstances and without knowing them are not in a position to advise whether you would qualify for another benefit.

There is a statutory amount that the law says you need to live on and you can't live on £0.00 for six months.

The other thing you could do is go to either the CAB or your local Welfare Rights office. Welfare rights workers have benefit knowledge, work on your behalf for free and will be in a position to help you more as you will be able to have a chat with them, tell them your exact circumstances and they will tell you what your options are and act as your representative if neccessary. You can find them through your local council.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Is there anything I can claim whilst I am waiting?, My housing benefit was stopped as I couldn't send proof of income (as I have no income).

You should have been able to send a bank statement along with a statement from yourself that you have no income. They are only allowed to ask for things which are reasonable to ask for.

Having no income is specifically listed in the HB legislation as something that can qualify you to receive it.

You can appeal or make a new claim.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

Also your ESA should be £47.95, not £0, unless you have savings or other income.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.