Speeding penalty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5517 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend of mine today thinks he has been caught speeding from what he says he was on a 60mph road doing around that then it changed to 30 limit with a speed camera and he was slowing down to 30 but passed the sign and speed camera doing around 45mph and saw it flash. He has only been passed 6 and half month so is worrying that he will get his licence revoked cos he's read that the law may be changed to 6 points for speeding which would mean he had to take both tests again as he has not been passed a year even. Could any one tell me if he is likely to get 3 or 6 points if he was caught.

Tell him to volunteer for a course which is about speed awareness. They don't tell you about it but you can avoid points that way.

You can't just volunteer for these courses. Some people get offered the choice to attend them, at a cost, depending on certain factors. Not all police forces run this scheme either as far as I can remember reading about it.

Speed Awareness Course - No Penalty Points (UK)

Tell him to volunteer for a course which is about speed awareness. They don't tell you about it but you can avoid points that way.

You can't just volunteer for these courses.

1) the camera partnership in the area concerned has to use them - they are by no means universal.

2) There are guidelines for offering these courses - usually slightly over the posted limit/

OP's friend needs to learn - quickly - that speed limit signs mark the boundary of the limit and not to indicate the need to start to slow to the limit.

I agree but obviously only going on what he has told me as I wasn't with him at time and don't know the area. the speed camera was nearly as soon as he entered the 30mph zone and he was slowing down to 30. I think his main problem is bothering about cars behind him he felt that the car behind may get too close or hit him if he slowed down sooner. I know its stupid and so does he. He is still a bit nervous driving and worries too much about cars behind.

the liklihood is that he will get 3 points for that offence and a £60 fine.

What he needs to be aware of is that he needs to be doing 30 as he passes the sign, not start slowing down at the sign.

Other users need to take care of themselves.

He has said he is never going to speed again. He is still on probation for over another year so any more points and he is back to learner if he does get NIP for this one which sounds very likely he will as he says he was the only car there when it flashed. Still on probation myself til end of September this year but still not got any points up to now.

the speed camera was nearly as soon as he entered the 30mph zone and he was slowing down to 30.

Having the camera "as soon as he entered the 30 zone" is unlikely as the camera would need a field of vision *within the 30 zone* to register a car's speed. If it is too soon inside the 30 limit there is a chance it would be picking up a false reading by "seeing" the speeding car prior to the 30 zone when 40. 50 or 60 may still be the limit.

I think his main problem is bothering about cars behind him he felt that the car behind may get too close or hit him if he slowed down sooner. I know its stupid and so does he. He is still a bit nervous driving and worries too much about cars behind.

If he is still worried about a car being too close behind (which should never worry him in the first place) remind him what he used to be told on his lessons about this; "car behind looks a little close = break early, brake gentle. Job Done. :)"

When I was a new driver I always felt pressured in speed limits by drivers behind me wanting to go faster than me. Now I just laugh - I do not take it upon myself to drive at the speed limit but if they want to go faster they can always over take me and accept the consequences of dangerous driving. It's particularly amusing because most cars that sit on my behind are the nova with 19" wheel jobbies. I think your friend should get away with 3 points and a £60 - bit faster though and he might of been looking at worse.

TFT

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

the speed camera was nearly as soon as he entered the 30mph zone and he was slowing down to 30.

Hopefully this incident will remind him that he should slow down to 30 BEFORE passing the sign, not start slowing down to 30 AFTER passing the sign.

• 4 weeks later...

fill in whatever form he gets sent (if he gets sent one) & say he was not the driver at the time & give details (slightly incorrect) of anyone he knows who is living outside the UK, as long as his face is not clearly visible in the picture they cannot do sod all !

fill in whatever form he gets sent (if he gets sent one) & say he was not the driver at the time & give details (slightly incorrect) of anyone he knows who is living outside the UK, as long as his face is not clearly visible in the picture they cannot do sod all !

Don't be so stupid!

What you are suggesting is illegal (perverting the course of justice) and not only does that attract jail time if caught, this site does not condone acting illegally.

As to your assertion that "they cannot do sod all!"

a) You have said that they cannot do sod all; the corrollary of which is they can do anything;

b) if you give the name and overseas address, the next stop for the authorities is to come after you for proof that this 'overseas' driver was insured to drive the vehicle - thus leading to a 'permitting' charge;

c) it is not unknown for them to check with immigration that the overseas driver was actually in the country at the time.

well i've told you what i know, you do what you have to do & abide by the law !

have you not heard the saying "the laws an ass" you gotta treat it like one !

The law may be an ass but that does not mean you can suggest to another poster that they can pervert the course of justice or perjure themselves as a course of action.

You only have to look at what happened to high profile figures like Jeffery Archer or Neil Hamilton, (both of whom got jail time), to see that the courts take a very dim view of these actions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAG does not condone this course of action.

If you are going to post stuff like this we would prefer you not to post at all.

thanks.

Depending on where your friend was, he may be able to opt to take a driving course rather than going to court and facing a fine and points. This happened to my business partner last week.

Kthmurrel. Whilst I understand your desire to help, advising that someone lies on a legal document is not something that should be posted on an open forum.

It is illegal, and brings the standard of the site down to the level of those it was set up to challenge.

well i've told you what i know, you do what you have to do & abide by the law !

have you not heard the saying "the laws an ass" you gotta treat it like one !

The law would become a significantly bigger ass if he got caught!

09/07/09 :)Business Studies BA(Hons) 2:1:)

eCar Insurance overpayment - £325

Settled in full - 15/09/08

NatWest Student A/C bank charges - £260

Settled under hardship scheme - 08/06/09

Natwest Business A/C bank charges - £60

Settled in full as GOGW - 20/04/09

Santander Consumer Finance late payment fees - £60

Part settled for £48 - 01/03/08

Peugeot Finance late payment fees - £50

Settled in full before county court hearing - 01/09/09

Peugeot Finance overpayment of £247

Settled in full - 01/12/08

Valley Leisure - complaint about collections agent

£160 part refund of gym membership in compensation - 01/02/09

HFC Bank - complaint about payment deducted from my account on wrong date

GOGW £10 - 01/05/09

Angel88 - Your friend is more likely to cause an accident if he's worrying too much about what other cars are doing behind him. He has nothing to worry about as long as he is driving safely and legally! If someone hit him in the rear then they are at fault anyway. But that aside, the more he worries, the more of a nervous driver he becomes and more likely he is to have an accident!