Old debt has caught up with me!!! Help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5563 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Around 12 years ago when I was in my early twenties, I ran up some debt-mostly store cards, catalogues, that kind of thing. I then left my hometown and sought pastures new. I got myself a new address and a new surname and started my life again - and ran off leaving all my debts simmering in the background! Denial!!

Well, imagine to my horror, when a few weeks ago a letter arrived from a 'Debt Managers Ltd' addressed to my old name but at my new address. This letter is a Settlement Opportunity for my old Frasercard.

Could anyone advise what I should do? I'm afraid that if I reply to them, even for a CCA request, then they will then know for sure where I am and who I am, and suddenly all my old debt will come knocking.

Any help will be much appreciated! Many thanks in advance!

Hi there,

Around 12 years ago when I was in my early twenties, I ran up some debt-mostly store cards, catalogues, that kind of thing. I then left my hometown and sought pastures new. I got myself a new address and a new surname and started my life again - and ran off leaving all my debts simmering in the background! Denial!!

Well, imagine to my horror, when a few weeks ago a letter arrived from a 'Debt Managers Ltd' addressed to my old name but at my new address. This letter is a Settlement Opportunity for my old Frasercard.

Could anyone advise what I should do? I'm afraid that if I reply to them, even for a CCA request, then they will then know for sure where I am and who I am, and suddenly all my old debt will come knocking.

Any help will be much appreciated! Many thanks in advance!

hi, welcome to cag.

if you have not payed anything,or acknowleged the debt in writting for 6 years it is statute barred,

sam:plowell detester

Hello and Welcome, amanda filtro.

I'll move this thread to the appropriate Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

You are kidding?!!

No, they are not :)

Law relating to debts: statute-barred debts

If a lender allows time to pass without receiving any payment an action for recovery may become barred.

Under the Limitations Act 1980 the time limits are

* in simple contracts (credit cards, loans, etc.), 6 years

* in contracts under seal (mortgages), 12 years.

If the debtor acknowledges the debt in writing or makes a part payment within the original limitation period, then the time limits start to run again from the date of acknowledgement or the date of payment.

Even though the lender may be barred from pursuing recovery, a debtor may decide to pay the debt after the expiry of the time limits. Because of this you should allow a debt which is otherwise statute-barred if the personal representatives pay the debt and you receive evidence that the payment has been made.

The above instructions do not apply to debts in Scotland. Under Scottish law, if a lender allows time to pass without receiving any payment an action for recovery may become barred under the Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973. (For details of this Act see Gloag and Henderson 10th edition at Chapter 15.). These debts are completely extinguished and cannot be enforced. Once the prescriptive period expires the debt cannot be allowed as a deduction.

To sum up, basically once a debt becomes statute barred it is up to the debtor whether or not they wish to pay the debt. A debt can not become unstatute barred.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

im wondering if the change of name will reflect that to, as unless you told them at the time, they may claim they had to take all that time to find you again.

Also, as the letter is not in your current name you could just return them all as not known at this adress

question everything!

You can send them this back;

Dear Sir/Madam

Acc/Ref No

You have contacted us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by ourselves.

We would point out that under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 “an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action accrued.”

We would also point out that the OFT say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that “it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period”.

The last payment of this alleged debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from us in the relevant period under Section 5 of the Limitation Act, we suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that “continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the Administration of Justice Act 1970”.

We await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed and that no further contact will be made concerning the above account after that last letter.

We look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Mr A N Other

Print Name do not sign

Edit to suit

This is all incredible information! Thanks to all!

So...should I then return the letters as 'addressee not known' and then keep my fingers crossed, or should I send them the letter about the Limitation Act?

Its just any correspondence will require me to state my name and I really don't want my new identity discovered (Jeez, I sound like a spy or something! );)

Also, I reside in Scotland which I assume may affect the laws?

What's a girl to do for the best? :rolleyes:

Its just any correspondence will require me to state my name and I really don't want my new identity discovered (Jeez, I sound like a spy or something! )

If they have contacted you in your old name at a new address they have undoubtedly linked your new name anyway. This is easily achieved if you have for example changed your name on a bank account or credit card, or have formally notified a financial institution of your change of name, i.e if you married and took your spouses name.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am in the same boat and need advice. I have just received two letters from Response Credit Management re outstanding debts. They are both re Aktiv Capital re G E Capital Bank. I did have a credit card and a store card when I was first married and I presume these relate to the debts. I'm pretty sure these debts are statute barred as the last thing I heard from them was November/December 2002. The letters are in my married name but I haven't used that name since my divorce was finalised in 2003. I have never used my married name at this address ( I have been here 5 years now), what should I do? Should I fire off the standard letter, and if so do I use my old married name or my maiden name which I reverted to, or should I just send the letter back not at this address.

Thanks for any advice.