Misinformed over tariff

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5602 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I wonder if anyone can give me some advise on my gas tariff?

I moved into this property Nov07 and informed British Gas, giving a meter reading but not my Direct Debit details because everything was still in boxes.

Anyway, eventually get it all sorted and letters came, which were just filed away until yesterday when I had a bit of an administrative spring-clean.

I noticed one letter from BG, dated 17th June 2008 tells me that they've put me on the cheapest fixed price tariff called Price Protection 2010.

I then registered my account online so I could view my billing history but it isn't showing me the first two statements (28/2/08 and 31/3/08 ) - "temporarily unavailable".

Either way, I could see no information on my tarriff, even trying to find their price list for it proved difficult to say the least.

Incidentally, with both the "temporarily unavailable" statements, the page is also telling me the balance was £9.98 in credit but it wasn't brought forward to the next statement 1/7/08.

Following a confusing telephone conversation yesterday with BG, I've been informed I am actually on the Standard Gas tariff. It was suggested I send a copy of the letter stating I was on the Price Protection 2010 tariff back to BG and ask they honour this so I may get a refund.

However, I've since learnt that that tariff carries a 2.8% premium for Gas only customers and I'm not sure if I'll come out better or worse off.

I can't afford to throw money away and if I've been overcharged, I want a refund. But if it proves I've actually paid less on this Standard tariff, I don't want to have to pay them more! And how can I reclaim that missing £9.98?

I seem to make a habit of answering my own questions

Having got the basic info straight in my head, I called BG again with a mind to making them do the work for me and as luck would have it, got a very helpful soul who demanded he do the working out for me, found I would have been better off, deleted all my previous statements and recalculated the last 12 months bills under the Price Protection 2010 tariff.

My account is now £69 in credit :cool: including the missing £9.98 so I've saved ~£60.

Again, thanks to CAG for just being there (here). It's encourage and empowered me to see more clearly when I do decide to raise my head out of the sand.