Newlyn & overpayment of Housing Benefit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5572 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I need some help please as this situation is scaring the hell out of me. I was liable for £2800 overpayment of housing benefit (geuine and not diisputed by me). I received letters from Newlyn last year and entered into an arrangement to pay £100/month. Sadly I was made redundant at the end of last year and contacted Newlyn to offer a smaller amount until I was working again. (The debt is not down to £1900). They are now threatening to send bailffs to my house, and seem to be refusing to ackowledge my offer of payemnt - all I get are "standard" letters asking me to contact them by phone and discuss a proposal, even though I have written to them (signed for) to state my proposal.

Can they simply turn up at my house, or do they have to have some kind of court order to do this? If they do, I have no indication from any received correspondance that they have this, so can I ask them, or can they simply rock up on a whim?

Thanks again for everyones help, I'm s******g myself truth be told.

AG

Bump (Sorry for being selfish on the bump)...

Any help much appreciated. I have contacted the council to ask them to check if any order has been issued and forward paperwork to me if so, and also to ask them if I can deal directly with them from now on, but if anyone knows if Court paperwork of ANY description has to bein place for a bailiff to call regarding Housing Benefit, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks again

AG