A safer bank

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5594 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've discovered posts here advising to get a basic bank account from a bank with whom I've no credit agreements. Given that there are so many banks connected to one another, can anyone point me towards a basic account (I don't think I'd get a standard one!) not connected with:

Barclaycard

Citicard

Capital One (HSBC mentioned on statement remittance but isn't Capital One a bank in its own right?)

Amazon card (Halifax/Bank of Scotland operate it)

Abbey (overdraft here)

Marbles (HFC Bank - any relation to others?)

Virgin (Co-operative bank mentioned on remittance, but issued by MBNA)

Tesco (RBS mentioned on statement remittance? Can't find issuing bank - maybe Tesco Finance do it themselves?)

Very much appreciated if you can help!

http://www.moneymadeclear.fsa.gov.uk/pdfs/bank_accounts.pdf is a complete list as far as I can see. I already have a Barclays Basic account opened just before Christmas (before it occurred to me that they could transfer funds to my Barclaycard).

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Also this, (although now slightly out of date) Alphabetical list of Banks & Building Societies, Loans, Mortgages, Insurers and Credit Cards together with their owners:

Who_Owns_Who

updated lists,

Savings compensation and protection: Bank ownership and licences | This is Money

and here,

How Safe is Your Money?

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/Ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm