• Tweets

• no that is not a defence. because you don't have a photo
    • I purchased the vehicle using finance through motonovo under a HP 60 months agreement. I have now amended the document ensuring all is in black. Unfortunately, this email has now been sent. However, I have not sent a letter to big motoring world. Also, I have taken the section of the firealarm issue. I am struggling to convert to PDF. I am not tech savy at all. My mistake was that the the salesman was very fussy on a sale. We went down a quiet road for a little test drive and not for a lengthy road test. The water issue was not present at this moment of time. However, it only became prevalent after driving away, after all docs signed. I did stated to Audi I wanted a diagnostic report. However, they carried out an Audicam which is footage of the issue. Audi have diagnosed the issue as a common issue where coupes/cabriolets accumulate water in the seals. However, I did state beforehand for no issue to be rectified due to me wanting to reject the vehicle. I am awaiting a report from Audi through email from the branch manager in relation to the issue. The issue so far is the water still being present in the sills. Audi tried to fix the issue however the problem is still prevalent. Regards 
    • First begging letter received from Overdales   ;Blah blah blah, our client's are going to win this blah blah blah we supplied all your documents under CPR   PS you can stop all this by paying £1200 less in a lump sum
    • Right,  so the court hasn't send out the Directions Questionnaires/N180s yet. PE's one is a false one, meant to intimidate you into thinking your defence was rubbish and they are confident with their claim. This is par for the course.  The PPCs do this regularly. However, PE have gone further and written that "a copy has also been filed with the court" which is a lie as the court haven't even sent out the papers yet. Keep a screenshot of MCOL, later on in your WS you can draw attention to their lying and abuse of court procedure. If you've got time on your hands, then complain to the BPA about one of their members lying.    
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Taz11 v MBNA Enforceable ??

Taz11
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5477 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thank you Pelham, I am certainly not in a hurry...lol. As of yet I've had no letter of reply, but had 3-4 unkown calls on my mobile, 3-4 messages from Moneyalert (please call us), and 3-4 Personal messages (not automated I mean) from MBNA asking me to contact them, so a few cogs must be whirring somewhere...

I'll keep you posted on anything received and will upload the T&C's as .pdfs as you've requested.

thanks again

Taz11

Taz11 v NatWest/Triton: Unenforceable :D

Taz11 v BOS: Unenforceable :D

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, definitely let them WRITE to you. I suspect your letter put the cat among the pigeons :D

Whether or not you speak to them on the phone (and I hope you do not), still keep a record of the date and time they call. If they leave voicemail messages, keep a record of those as well. Even if they just say phone Joe Bloggs on xxxxxxxx.

If the calls become too troublesome and it isnt too much of a hassle, consider changing your telephone number.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

thanks cb, no its ok, I'm quite happy to let them witter away to a silent phone line...lol. Don't worry I have NO intention of speaking to them on the phone. WRITING !!! , and thats it, nothing else ;):D

regards

Taz11

Hi Pelham9,

Here are the t&c's as you requested in .pdf format.

Page 1 is actually backed up with the covering letter I received....dear mr .... blah blah blah

page 2 and page 3 back up each other and page 4 is on its own entirely.

current t&c page 1.pdf

current t&c page 2.pdf

current t&c page 3.pdf

current t&c page 4.pdf

Well once again no date.

It is clearly later because

a) the interest rates are very hugh

b) The penalty chages are £12 which makes it post the OFT announcement on credit card charge penalties. Probaby their most recent Ts & Cs .

Curious that the standard rate is equal to the APR. This suggests they are playing the APR [problem].

It doesn't help you because these TS & Cs are nothing to do with the agreemment. It would be interesting to ask them what monthly rate they are charging. Forestall any nonsense about daily rates by asking what daily rate they are applying.

I wonder why they sent them.

Edited by pelham9
Word inserted to avoid confusion

Thank you Pelham, so to summarise, where does it leave me??. The t&c's I just posted are not relevant to the agreement whatsoever. The only defence at present is that that the "original" (their words not mine) t&c's posted earlier cannot be associated/proven to be related to the "application form" and I can't show/prove that the first interest charged on purchases was correct as I'm unable to show the first statements and they haven't supplied them.

thanks very much again Pelham, for keeping in touch with this thread and advising accordingly. scales tipped ;)

regards

Taz11

Typical MBNA/Capital one tactics. They just confuse the issues. Very frustrating.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi ya CB :) There must be some activity, I was phoned 4 times in about 5 mins on the landline, then 3 more times on the mobile immediately afterwards. MBNA are the only ones with my mobile, so I know its them...lol. Probs been phoned at least 10 times within an hour. Don't think they are getting the idea that I won't be talking to them on the phone ;)

I'm expecting a letter any day :D

Let the battle commence :rolleyes:

Do not dismiss those second ( we know later) Ts & Cs. They were sent in answer to your request for a CCA agreement. You can use them in a number of ways in your first main argument to cast doubt on the first Ts & Cs.

They also help in the second 'inaccurate' prescribed terms argument.

They show 34.9%APR and 34.9% p.a.but no monthly rate. That should make you sit up and think.

The answer is in 2a. They have had to show for some time now the cost of borrowing figure on a £1500 loan paid off over 12 equal monthly instalments. To get this figure they use the monthly rate that will apply to your agreement.

The monthly rate they have applied is 2.5293%and this would have been the rate used on your account.

For 34.9% p.a the monthly rate is 2.5261%

This is the APR [problem]. It certainly throws considerable doubt on the monthly rate of 1.45% in the early agreement which was too good to be true from your point of view.

thanks Pelham,

took me a while to work out your figures using the formulas you posted earlier, but it now makes sense. Using the monthly interest rate THEY have applied to the account it works out to 34.95% and not 34.90 as stated in the terms and conditions. Am I on the right track Pelham. So in effect their terms and conditions are incorrect, they are actually charging an APR of 34.95, hence the [problem] ???

Just one question, how did you work out the actual rate they have applied i.e the 2.5293% from the figures given.

Found this handy little calculator taking the interest rates to 4 decimal places. Once I know how you got the 2.5293% I think I can work on it to show that there rates are incorrect. Another piece of ammo to have up my sleeve. Thanks again Pelham ;)

Interest Rate Converter

Found some more info Pelham, and hopefully I'm getting the idea, please tell me if I'm on the wrong track. I used this calculator, using the second calculator

Calculator: Credit card reality check | This is Money

Used the £1500 as stated in their terms and conditions, applied the 34.9% interest rate as stated by them and paid back over 12 months (1year). It gave a monthly payment of £149.87 per month x 12 and that gives a total of £1798.44. This is £298.44 over and above the original borrowed amount and not the £257.87 as stated in their current t&c's. Am I on the right track Pelham??, if not I'll crawl back into my hole...lol

thanks again, and if this is correct I hope it helps some people.

regards

Taz11

thanks again,

regards

Taz

Edited by Taz11
Found a link to good interest calculators ;)

Ooh, I hope so Taz cos I am going to give those two calculators a go with my MBNA figures :D

BCOBS

Hope it works cb, I will wait until Pelham answers just to confirm I am on the right track. If its correct, could open a whole new can of worms !!!

Taz11 :D

they are actually charging an APR of 34.95, hence the [problem] ???

NOT APR!! I am shouting because you have fallen into the APR [problem] yourself. It is so very easy to fall into your usage above and that is what the banks want. If you need a shorthand use AAR -actual annual rate.

The [problem] is

Decide on an APR say 15.9.

Add 0.05% =15.95%

Work out the monthly rate using 15.95% annual rate (1.2408%). Do not round but truncate.

Use this to calculate interest.

Punters wiill seldom check and if we are challenged we can say well 1.2408% monthly is an %APR of 15.9 (which is totally true) so what are you compainlng about. But 1.2408% is 15.949999.....% pa and they are charging that rate. APR is that rate rounded to one decimal place.

Banish totally from your mind that APR is EVER the rate to be charged. It is a totally irrelevant figure when you are calcuating interest and it is not a prescribed term

The calculation for the total borrowing cost is quite complex. It is fairly easy to show that that the amount they quote as the cost of borrowing is incorrect or correct using an icorrect interest rate.

You do this by deriving the monthly rate from 34.9% using the usual compound formula. Then you do 12 separate monthly interest calculations using the monthly rate. Each month the outstaning balance is reduced by the fixed monthly payment but increased by the interest for the last month. You then add up the all the interest payments to get the cost of borrowing. I am sure there is a formula but I cannot give it to you because I prefer to use a short computer program to do it in a fraction of a second.

To get the actual interest rate they have charged is almost impossible longhand or by formula. This is because an iterative process is required - this is basically trial and error process. In your case I started at 2.5 and ran a program to find out whethether or not 2.5% was the right rate it wasnt so the program adds .0001 ( 2.5+.0001) etc till the correct answer is s found. This takes hendreds of calculations which the computer does in 2 to 3 seconds! It would take a week with a calculator

Thanks Pelham, sorry yep fell into the trap. If it such a complex formula, how would it ever be shown/proved, if need be in court.?? other than the software you have?? I now do understand where you are coming from with regards to them hiding the fact that they are charging the extra .04999 which in effect makes the monthly interest rate technically wrong.

With regards to the post with the calculators above, does the second have any validity as it shows that you would indeed have to pay over and above the payment they suggest in their t&c's...........just a thought??

Just as an afterthought Pelham, using the interest rate they provide 34.9, could you work out (taking into consideration the 2.5293% you calculated they would be charging me), how much you would actually pay over 12 months for the £1500 borrowed, and see if it tallies with the amount they say it will cost. Is this possible with your software??

thanks

Taz11

Edited by Taz11

Your first paragraph.

You are quite right that judges are likely to be lazy mathematticians. I have serious doubts if you (or even me) would be able to persuade a judge that the small error in the prescribed terms is sufficient to make the

agreement unenforceable. I think that if you can show that it is a premeditated fraud he might think differently.

I think your main use of all this is to tie MBNA in such knots that they begin to doubt their own figures. If they start to wonder that this might be a fraud they may well concede before going to court. I would like to see the computer program and/or the tables they use to derive monthly rates from yearly rates - that would be interesting.

Your last paragraph. I would suggest you look at post #9 in the link below below. Markhudds sets the calculation out in full and has conclusively shown that they intended to charge 1.2408% from the outset. His annual rate was 15.9% and they did not show a monthly rate of 1.2408% in the agreement only on his statements

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/180389-mbna-cca-apr-interest.html.

The aides linked in your post.

If you look at them critically you will realise that the authors do not know what an APR is. Stoozing,com invites you to put in the APR which is never the annual rate and cannot be used for calculations!. The other does not define the rate you should put in at all. They are aides only and the results are likely to be misleading. Do the math yourself if you want accuracy - it will increase your understanding. If you bother to put your figures into stoozing.com you will find they either give the right answer or nearly so. Put 15.9 into the yearly calculater and you will get 1.2732 monthly and this is correct as we know. Put 1.2408 in to the monthly calculator and you will get 19.95 which is an APR of 16%. So though they are nearly right they are just not good enough. The banks say that 1.2408% monthly is an APR of 15.9% and that is correct.

When / if you tackle MBNA on this you will find them obtuse to the point that you think they are stupid or liers. I think not either. This [problem] was thought up about 40 years ago and no-one in their organisations is now aware of it. They put an interest rate into a computer or look that interest rate in tables and they get out a monthly rate. They are not aware that these monthly rates are incorrect. They are inbuilt into the computers/lables which MUST be correct.

Thank you Pelham for your time and patience and for explaining everything in detail. Your last post tidys everything up that I needed to know.I will check out the link you posted.

If the judges aren't too au fait with maths, they may fall for the stoozing link...lol ;)

I'll keep you posted on any replies, if any, from MBNA

By the way, I've just worked out what MBNA stands for My Balance Never Alters......lol

thanks for all the advice

Taz11

Having read the link Pelham, I have found some recent statements which indeed shows and states they charge a monthly interest rate of 2.5292 which I assume without having the necessary software is a rate of 34.95% and not 34.90 as shown in their t&c's.........................now just got to be able to prove it

sorry Pelham, just realised didn't need your software, used your formula and 2.5292 does indeed result in 34.9493% (34.95)

Interesting to note, they show the monthly interest to 4 decimal places but not the annual rate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SNEAKY BLOODY GITS !!!. :(

Edited by Taz11

Just another thought Pelham?, could they not defend the idea of the rate being higher by stating the sentence in T&C'S 1c : 34.9% APR VARIABLE

thanks Taz11

Having read the link Pelham, I have found some recent statements which indeed shows and states they charge a monthly interest rate of 2.5292 which I assume without having the necessary software is a rate of 34.95% and not 34.90 as shown in their t&c's.........................now just got to be able to prove it

sorry Pelham, just realised didn't need your software, used your formula and 2.5292 does indeed result in 34.9493% (34.95)

Interesting to note, they show the monthly interest to 4 decimal places but not the annual rate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SNEAKY BLOODY GITS !!!. :(

Dont be shy Taz, tell us how you REALLY feel about MBNA :lol:

Now we just need to know how to put this all in a letter to convince MBNA we are on to them or to defend ourselves in front of a mathematically challenged DJ :???:

BCOBS

34.9493% (34.95)

Careful. 34.95% annually is 35%APR (.05 rounds up!)

34.9% APR VARIABLE

No the term variable simply means that the rate can be varied from time to time - they must give you notice if they want to change their interest rates. It certainly does not mean that they can say that the APR is anything they please.

So we have late Ts & Cs using the APR [problem]. Now we need to look again at the earlier Ts & Cs

Now your so called agreement Ts & CS say

In 3 1.45% monthly

In the table 18.9% yearly

In 3 18.9% APR

Now 1.45% monthly is an annual rate of 18.87% rounded UP to get 18.9%APR. So that though the annual rate is not shown accurately the error is in your favour.

If they were using the APR [problem] ( as they certainly were later) the figure of 1.45% must be wrong. Pointers to this are

a) 1.45% monthly is an annual rate of 18.87% less than they intend. Banks never give away cash.

b) Invariably they start fom an annual rate and calculate the monthly rate.The calculation requires using ^(1/12) and 18.9 and this results on a figure that is recurring. So the result would be 1.45xxxxxx...... and they must have rounded or truncated the monthly rate.

c) The annual rate stated is 18.9% and this is a monthly rate of 1.45306%

The only way you have to find out is to ask them.

Say that "Though the Ts & Cs are clearly not part of the agreement you wish to check the interest amounts charged early on. Would they please therefore tell you the monthly interest rate they used. At that time the APR was 18.9%. ( using %APR here is not correct as you know but we are out to confuse them)

Hopefully they will then toddle off to their computer or tables and come up with the figure you want. They will have some difficulty if the know about the [problem]. If they give a non [problem] figure they know you will challenge the interest thay have charged. If they give you a [problem] figure they prove the [problem]. Quite likely they will give you neither a refer you back to the Ts & Cs.

NB I know you do not have the statements but they do not know that.

After sending the letter above, I've received a text message from MBNA to contact them regarding my recent correspondence, and a message on my answer phone to contact Matthew somebody or another urgently...............Guess the answer to that is going to be NO :D

Taz, if you get through to Matthew (McGrath, can I presume?), I'll buy you a beer :D

Thanks Pelham, I'm learning all the time from your posts. I understand now that they do not round up to 34.95%, but merely use the 34.9493% but choose not to show the further 3 decimal places, so in effect it is the .0493 that is being used to gain more interest as such. For their own purposes they choose to show it merely as 34.9%. Am I getting there m8....lol

I will certainly wait their reply, and if and when another letter is on the way to them I'll be questioning the original monthly %.

thanks again for your input

regards Taz :D

I

understand now that they do not round up to 34.95%, but merely use the 34.9493% but choose not to show the further 3 decimal places, so in effect it is the .0493 that is being used to gain more interest as such. For their own purposes they choose to show it merely as 34.9%.

Almost right! Sorry to be pedantic but if you are going to use this argument you have to understand exactly. There are in fact an infinite number of decimal places after the 34.9493 not just three but four decimal places is sufficient for both our purposes.

They chose to show 34.9493.... as 34.9% because the APR is 34.9% and they wish to prove to you that the APR= annual rate. That is nonsense because 34.9493 does NOT equal 34.9.

They show 34.943...... as 34.9%APR because the law makes the rounding to one decimal place obligatory and of course it suits them. If you think about this allowed rounding is somewhat curious. The APR legislators were able mathematicians and clearly saw that the rounding would make the %APR inaccurate for calculating interest. But the purpose of the %APR was to allow punters to compare loans (largely from adverts) and to stop enormous interest rate scams. It was never in their minds that subsequently people could be persuaded that %APR was the " the rate of any interest to be charged"

The APR [problem] again.

They take 34.9%APR and add .05 to get 34.95 because the want as nuch interest as they can get.

They work the monthly rate from this figure and get 2.5292406.....%. the "....." means infinitely recurring.

Now if they round this up at any time ( even the thousandth decimal place) when they do the reverse calculation they will get a figure that is above 34.95 which has to be rounded to 35%APR.

If they round down (better to say truncate ie no roundimg) the resulting figure in the reverse calculatiom will always be below 34.95 and hence 34.9% APR

Look at that figure 2.5292406. They might like the idea of having the rate to two decimal places. If the round up to 2.53 they push the APR to 35%.

If they truncate to 2.52 they lose .0092406% and they do not wish to lose anything. Even if they truncate to 2.529 the resulting 'loss' is still too much hence 4 decimal places and 2.5292.

This sounds complicated but in mathematical and computer terms it is very simple. 5 lines of programming on a computer suffices and I think that the computers were programmed togive the [problem] answers years ago. Present MBNA staff will take there monthly rates from a computer or from tables printed by a computer and will believe they are the correct rates for a given %APR, They also believe that because the "%APR is equal to the annual rate" the monthly rate is right for the annual rates well.

You will find out when you write to them!!!

Look at that figure 2.5292406. They might like the idea of having the rate to two decimal places. If the round up to 2.53 they push the APR to 35%.

If they truncate to 2.52 they lose .0092406% and they do not wish to lose anything. Even if they truncate to 2.529 the resulting 'loss' is still too much hence 4 decimal places and 2.5292.

That paragraph explains exactly what they are doing, too low or rounded down and they lose out, rounded up, it goes over and above the figure they require. So they settle for the 4th decimal place for statement purposes (even though it is a recurring number) which entitles them to show a % of 34.9 (even though in reality it is 34.9493%), which as you say is obligatory and suits them............for obvious reasons.:mad:

Thank you for educating me Pelham, It is an insight that I would have NEVER forseen, unless explained as you have.

Edited by Taz11

You want to delay this as much as possible?

Keep disputing. Until there is a resolution of a dispute they cannot pass the account to a debt collector or go to court though they will probably do so. If they decide the dispute is resolved or at an impasse they must give you the opportunity to go to the financiaql ombudsman which could take months if you decide to go down that route.

I think at present they owe you a lettter. Politely remind them that you need this reply enclosing a copy of your last letter if you think it helps.

I think very soon they will be in a position to send you an impasse letter on the first main argument. Then would be the time to continue the dispute with carefully worded letters to dispute the interest rates in the Ts & Cs. with something like this.

The appication form and the Ts and Cs you have sent me clearly do not constitue a true copy of an agreement as reqiired by the CCA 1974.

Nevertheless it would be sensible for you to consider whether these Ts & Cs do indeed contain the prescribed terms as required by the CCA 1974 and subseqeunt regulations.

Please inform me how you consider the interest rates in these Ts and Cs satisfy the prescribed term 'the rate of any interest to be applied'

Then sit back and await a lot of nonsense!