• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Taz11 v MBNA Enforceable ??

Taz11
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5478 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Summer,

Sounds pretty much the same as I received. Still no reply from them as yet, so I would say they are ready to hit me with something...lol

I'll keep this updated as much as I can.

Good Luck

Taz11

Taz11 v NatWest/Triton: Unenforceable :D

Taz11 v BOS: Unenforceable :D

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After sending MBNA a cpr request for a true properly executed copy/original of my agreement, and stating that I query the fact that the t&c's supplied cannot be proven to be related to the "application form" sent to me, they haven't sent me anything in reply.....................but I get this through my letterbox this morning.

First of all, who are they?, do they have any clout?, and are these idle threats to be taken seriously??. Should I reply to Optima ?? having received nothing from MBNA regarding my queries in the cpr request letter?

Optimaletter.jpg

Thanks Taz11

Not sure if this helps but I thought once the account was in dispute they couldnt send out letters demanding money or pass it onto another company. They have not complied with your request for a CCA. Capital One have been hassling me for money even after I told them the account was in dispute, I am now complaining to the Trading Standards. I had a good read through the Consumer Credit act its around page 52 the info that you need.

Hi Taz,

I did a quick search and Optima does pop quite regularly on the forums. Here is one link

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/173005-optima-legal-charging-order.html

I am just going to reread your thread from the beginning to see where you are at.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks CB, I've read the link you posted and it seems identical to the letter I received, but the OP hasn't been back on the thread, so don't know what he answered to Optima.

I was thinking of sending this, but firstly I'm not aware if this can only be sent once court proceedings have been initiated, and secondly, I'm not sure of the two protocols I have highlighted??. Is it ok to leave them both in??

Thanks Taz11

WARNING.

THIS IS A REQUEST UNDER THE CIVIL PROCEDURE RULES.

PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Account Number:

Thank you or your letter dated 06/02/2009 and received by me on 12/02/2009 in which you have indicated that there may be imminent court action should I not respond to your letter.

In your letter you have given notice that MBNA Europe are preparing to initiate legal proceedings over the non-payment of the outstanding balance on the above account.

Given that this matter is now subject to a potential legal proceeding, you are obliged to provide, under the Civil Procedures Rules, information to ensure that all parties are on an equal footing, and also to ensure the claim is dealt with expediently and fairly, avoiding an unnecessary burden to the court's resources.

Under the Pre-action Practice Directions - Protocols 4.6 of the Civil Procedures Rules, I request that you supply copies of the following documents:

1). I respectfully request that you provide me by return a true copy of the credit agreement, properly executed and containing the prescribed terms. I require this as I have reason to believe that there may be discrepancies within the agreement which may leave it improperly executed.

2) All records you hold on me relevant to this case, including but not limited to

1. A transcript of all transactions, including charges, fees, interest, payments and both the amounts of credit and any repayments made to the account.
  2. Transcriptions of all telephone conversations recorded and any notes made in relation to telephone conversations
  3. Where there has been any event in the account history over this period that has required manual intervention by any person, disclosure of any indication or notes that have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to the account held by me with ******.
  4. True copies of any notice of assignment and/or default notice or enforcement notice that you sent to me, with a copy of any proof of postage that you hold.
  5. Documents relating to any insurance added to the account, including the insurance contract and terms and conditions, date it was added and deleted (if applicable).
  6. Details of any collection charge added to the account; specifically, the date it was levied, the amount of the charge, a detailed financial breakdown of how the charge was calculated, and what the charge covers.
  7. Specific details of the fees/charges levied by any other agency in respect of this account and a detailed breakdown of said fees/charges and what each charge relates to and on what date said fees/charges were levied.
  8. A genuine copy of any notice of fair use of my data as required by the Data Protection Act 1998.
  9. A list of third party agencies to whom you have disclosed my personal data and a summary of the nature of the information you have disclosed.
  10. Copies of statements for the entire duration of the credit agreement.

Obviously if the agreement is improperly executed I would be entitled to ask the court to consider the agreement and make a declaration of the rights of parties to the agreement.

I must stress this request is NOT made pursuant to section 78 Consumer Credit Act 1974 but is made pursuant to the Civil Procedure Rules ( Pre action protocols and Part 31.16) and therefore unsigned copy will not suffice, only a copy of the original contract in its unaltered form will suffice in these circumstances

Please confirm if you still hold a copy of my correctly executed agreement containing all the prescribed terms and that you will provide me with this document.

I do not view this as an unreasonable request given that by supplying the document which I have asked for it will allow me to assess if my case has merit and will help to resolve matters possibly without the need to involve the court and will undoubtedly save costs on both sides

This information is required within the next twenty one days. I must advise you that if the information is not forthcoming, it will be reported to the Court that you are trying to deny me the opportunity to review my position in relation to your claim of alleged breach of agreement and any possible counter-claim.

Please note that, as you have initiated this action, failure to respond to this letter will place this account in clear dispute and as such you may not:

• demand any payment on the account, nor am I obliged to offer any payment to you.
  • add any further interest or charges to the account.
  • pass/sell the account or outstanding balance to any third party.
  • register any information in respect of the account with any of the credit reference agencies.
  • issue a default notice related to the account.

Should you ignore any of the above I reserve the right for legal action for redress, and will show the court this letter. I will also report your actions to any authority that I see fit.

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Yours Sincerely,

Would this be ok to send them or is it a bit premature ????

Taz, have you received a default or termination notice or have they indicated in anyway that they were going to issue either of those ?.

Did you keep the envelope this came in. I see they havent given you a time scale within which to reply.

I would imagine this IS a response to your CPR letter, so I think you have them on the back foot.

IMHO, you need to send Optima Legal a response. Perhaps along the lines of an amended version of the letter in the following post, linked.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1800199.html

Alternatively you could write something along the lines of :

Dear Sirs,

I was rather surprised to receive your letter dated 6th February advising that your client would be proceeding with litigation.

I am currently waiting a response from your client/MBNA, to my CPR letter dated (whenever). A copy of that letter is enclosed for your reference.

Until I have received a reply, I am unable to assess whether or not I am indeed liable to your client for any alleged balance.

I would point out that your letter does in fact abuse OFT guidelines in several respects and I will be passing this on to Trading Standards and the OFT for their guidance.

Yours faithfully,

PRINT OR USE A HANDWRITING FONT - DO NOT SIGN

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi CB, the closest I have had is this, (see attached), but they have still sent me a statement for February. No notice of assignment/termination etc...

defaultnote.jpg

I will send one of the letters (just got to choose...lol) I would think if MBNA have an answer to my previous CPR they wouldn't have forwarded it to Optima ???

Hi Taz, not that isnt a Default Notice. There is a prescribed format for a DN just as there is for an agreement and that doesnt have it. So if they want to say it is a DN.. it is definitely invalid :)

No I shouldnt think that MBNA have given Optima any other information other than "go get em".

So perhaps the short letter and include a copy of the CPR letter you sent to MBNA.

Howeer, if you decide to go with the longer letter, I wouldnt amend the protocols that X20 had in the letter I linked you to on Lexis thread. The letter you have posted above actually looks like a CPR18/SAR request and I can tell you straight away.. if they accept it as an SAR they will write back asking you for £10.00 and if they take it as CPR18 (which is only used when you have received the court papers) then they will simply ignore it.

BCOBS

Thanks CB, so how would you amend the protocols in the letter in the link you posted. Failing that, a short, sweet and to the point letter which you kindly posted underneath with the copy letter sent to MBNA.:D

Thanks again

Taz11

Thanks CB, so how would you amend the protocols in the letter in the link you posted. Failing that, a short, sweet and to the point letter which you kindly posted underneath with the copy letter sent to MBNA.:D

Thanks again

Taz11

Hi Taz,

You must not amend the protocols at all. Just the content of the letter (courtesy of X20) as so... I have done that for you, you just need to include the date you received the letter.

FOR OPTIMA

Dear Sir,

Re :

THIS IS A REQUEST UNDER THE CIVIL PROCEDURE RULES.

PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE.

I am in receipt of your letter dated 6th February 2009 this was received on (whenever).

You have indicated that:

"Your client has no alternative but to commence legal proceedings in order to procure a charging order on my home. "

I am sure that you are aware that I have long since requested from your client, under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (The Act) a copy of the agreement to which both you and your client allege I am a signatory. To date this has not been provided to me and whilst I appreciate your client has endeavoured to persuade me that the provision of a copy of an illegible and piecemeal application form , not containing prescribed terms, is sufficient to discharge your client from further obligations under section 78 of the Act. Likewise I too have explained that the mere provision of a copy of an application form is not a legally permissable substitute for the provision of a true copy of the executed agreement as required under section 78 of the Act and as prescribed by Regulation 3 Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983.

I am sure you are also aware that under section 78(6) of the Act, whilst a creditor is in default of a request made under sub-section (1) they may not enforce the agreement.

Notwithstanding the foregoing and your client's persistent, unexplained and willful refusal to supply a copy of the executed agreement in accordance with its obligations (the permitted ommisions under Regulation 3(2) excepted), your client has made plain its intention to begin legal proceedings against me. In consequence this matter may now be treated as one which is subject to the control of the Civil Procedure Rules.

Take notice therefore that under CPR Practice Direction - Protocols paragraph 4.6(a) and (d), I request that you supply copies of the following documents:

[1] A true copy of the executed credit agreement incorporating prescribed notices, terms and conditions applicable at the time the agreement was executed and

[2] Any further or subsequent notices, terms and conditions relied upon.

Please note that my request under the Practice Direction is not a request for production within the confines of the Act and Regulations but rather, it is for a copy of the executed agreement, including signatures and all such other notices, terms and conditions as will be relied upon in the event that your client shall begin a claim.

A copy of the documents I have requested should be supplied to me within 14 days and you are urged not to begin proceedings for a period of not less than 14 days following the supply of those documents to me.

Should your client elect to ignore my request under the Practice Direction and commence proceedings, it is likely that I shall repeat my request for the provision of documents under CPR 31.14. In the event that your client should fail to comply with my CPR 31.14 request, I will not hesitate in making an application to the court for an order that further proceedings upon the claim be stayed pending provision of the requisite documents, in the course of which application I will of course refer to this and previous requests for the provision of copy documents.

I look forward to hearing from you within the time stated.

Yours faithfully,

Right now, you need to send a follow up letter to MBNA.

Dear Sirs,

ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE

REF: Account no:

I am in receipt of a letter from your Solicitor, Optima Legal, a copy of which is enclosed for your reference.

As I have not yet received a response from my letter to MBNA dated (whenener) and received by you on (whenever) I was extremely surprised to receive Optima's threat of a charging order. Copies of both that letter and my reply to Optima are included for your ease of reference.

You are required by law to provide me with information in order for me to investigate fully the liablity to which you say I am a signatory. It makes sense to me that this is provided informally and amicably rather than on the direction of a Court order.

I would appreciate a reply to my letter dated (whenever) within 14 days. Alternataively, a Final response in order for me to bring to the attention of the OFT and Trading Standards, your disregard for OFT guidelines.

In respect to Optima's letter, I must now insist that all communication is conducted in writing in order for me to fully protect myself in respect of intended litigation by yourselves.

Yours faithfully

Enclosed: Copy of Optima's letter dated 6th February 209

Copy of my reply to Optima dated (whenever)

Copy of my letter sent to MBNA dated (whenever)

Then if you have not already done so and it is affordable. I would send a Subject Access Request to : Send this separately at the very least by Recorded Delivery.

MBNA Europe Limited

Chester Business Park

Chester

CH4 9FB

ATTENTION: Compliance Department

In the SAR you must list everything you want to see. HTH

Edited by citizenB

BCOBS

Thank you so much CB, you are a star!!!:):);-) I'll be busily printing those letters and they will be on their way to their destinations..;)

regards

Taz11

hiya taz and everyone else with mbna problems

underdog got a thread that may be useful speaking with a solicitor on monday

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mbna/172769-mbna-agreement-now-threat.html

laters angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

Thanks Angel,

Haven't been online for about 10 days because had a fault on phone line which BT took ages to sort out, then broadband got cut off and had to wait to get it back on again.....:|

Anyway, this is the latest from MBNA received this morning, basically saying they don't have to let me know if they have an original.

also

"all the necessary prescribed terms are in the agreement" err??, no they are not, they are on a separate piece of paper which cannot be related to the "application form"

So where from here guys/gals ???.

I made a cpr request. Do I just hit them with a sar ??? or take it further??.

Thanks for any advice as always.

regards

Taz11

mbnaletter.jpg

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

I would write something like this.

I am puzzled. If you have the original agreement it would seem sensible for you to send me a copy of it rather than a series of documents that are not enforceable in court. The fact that you will not send me a copy of it can only be interpreted by me to mean that you do not have it and that your letter is inaccurate.

You will appreciate that if you decide to take court action you will be forced to produce the the original agreement. If you do not have it you have no case and your letter which will be produced in court will be a lie. If you do have it then show it now so that I and my advisers can check out the claims you make of it.

This matter is so simple that I do not see your difficulty.

I doubt very much that they have the original and their letter is a last desperate bluff to win the day. I would suspect they are almost at the point of capitulating.

After dealing with several banks and solcitors I write to quote my opinion:

1) If they send you copies of any document in response to s.77/78 of CCA 1974, they have complied with their obligations. They are allowed to give copies of unsigned documents as per the copy regulations for credit agreements

2) The minimum they need to enforce an agreement through the courts is ANY piece of paper (agreement, application form etc) with the prescribed terms and your signature. That is all they nees. see s.127(3) of the consumer credit act 1974

3) In court they would need the original but the Judge will accept exact (not true) photocopies as hearsay evidence. The onus is on them to prove that the back page is really the back page if they have copies. When arguing your case you would need to point this out and require that they prove that those documents were physically linked.

4) the APR is not a prescribed term. There is a tolerance of -0.1% +1%. If it is outside the tolerance it is improperly executed but because it is not a prescribed term, the court can enforce the agreement.

5) My experience from County courts (i helped friends that used the unenforceability arguments) is that this practice is seen as debt avoidance and most Judges fail to see this as third parties. They usually side with the banks. You need to put your arguments firmly. A good solicitor always helps.

All the best

Once again, Thank you Pelham,

I will get that written up and sent to them. They actually sent me a letter earlier advising that if I contact them that;

"we could also discuss a reduced settlement on you account, which means we could decide to write off a significant proportion of your full credit card balance"

@mikek,

so basically, are you saying that the only obvious defence at the moment is the fact that the prescribed terms cannot be seen to be related to the "application form" on a separate sheet. This I have pointed out to them in my previous letter.

thanks

Taz11

4) the APR is not a prescribed term. There is a tolerance of -0.1% +1%. If it is outside the tolerance it is improperly executed but because it is not a prescribed term, the court can enforce the agreement.

1983 Regualtions. CCA

Agree. %APR is not a prescribed term. Its numerical value is hardly ever equal to the annual rate. I disagree on the latitudes allowed.

Schedule 7 1A

Permissible tolerances in disclosure of the APR

1A

For the purposes of these Regulations, it shall be sufficient compliance with the requirement to show the APR if there is

included in the document--

(1) a rate which exceed the APR by not more than one; or

(2) a rate which falls short of the APR by not more than 0.1

Shedule 1 requires both the %APR and the annual rate to be shown tacit agreement that they are not the same entities. Elsewhere in the regs the %APR is defined with its familiar rounding to one decimal place. If it is shown it must be shown within that numerical definition -there is no latitude in this. The latitudes above are not in the numerical value of %APR but whether or not it has to be disclosed and this qualifies the Schedule 1 requirement.

Having said all that you quite rightly point at that breaches in Schedule 1 interest terms only make an agreement improperly executed and a judge will almost certainly enforce. The courts give the banks great latitude which is against the spirit of CCA 1974. It was because the legislators presumed that the banks would ignore much of Schedule 1 that Schedule 6 - the presciribed terms - exists

The prescribed term for interest does not specify how the interest must be expressed so one must presume that an annual rate (Schedule 1), a monthly rate or whatever suffice. The %APR on its own is not sufficient because at its best it is only an approximation to the rate of annual interest to be charged.

However there are many agreements where both the monthly and yearly agreements are shown and these two entities do not correspond. Either one or the other is incorrectly stated. How do you consider that a judge will take this. What if the court were shown that a systematic fraud exists?

• 2 weeks later...

Talk about a "hot potato"...lol, I can now really understand why you guys /gals have so much fun with these idiots. After sending a letter to Optima,I get this this morning......"ooooh its nothing to do with us :eek:, lets throw it back" lol

optimaletter2.jpg

hiya taz

sorry ive in and out on the forums and i apologise for not seeing your upto date posts - my own battles took my attention for a while too

so yours was passed to optima then, and now going back how interesting

no harm in the sar i would say if you are okay to spend the 10.00 and the postage, lets see if you get anything different, i didnt in my sar just the same as the cca - so now im awaiting on any lowlife to be sold the acc to and see what happens now

good luck in your continued battle laters angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

hi ya angel_1,

no probs, thanks for dropping in. I haven't heard a thing from MBNA apart from one phone call, since putting together a small letter which Pelham put together for me. That probs means I'll get one on my doormat now in the morning........lol.

thanks Taz11

oh well just received this?? Another threatogram ??? Haven't had any default notice or notice of assignment. Is it actually worth answering??

Amazing that I send a letter to Mr Bez Shaw still requesting the cca, and I get the usual standard letter crap from the bottom of a filing cabinet!!!

letter12thMarch.jpg

Thanks Taz11

Edited by Taz11

Had one from Optima about 3 weeks ago, sent them packing with a reply letter and they returned it to MBNA.......lol I will look forward to receiving another :), and they will get the same reply.........lol.

thanks for your input ;)

Taz11

Perfect, the letter from Optima returning it. Just what you wanted to happen. and the letter from MBNA.. hmm, do you see it has to be acceptable to them, not practical for you.

Now, I cant remember. I have they issued Default and termination notices on this account ?

BCOBS