• Tweets

• that was a good saving on an £8k debt dx
    • Find out how the UK general elections works, how to register to vote, and what to do on voting day.View the full article
    • "We suffer more in imagination than in reality" - really pleased this all happened. Settled by TO, full amount save as to costs and without interest claimed. I consider this a success but feel free to move this thread to wherever it's appropriate. I say it's a success because when I started this journey I was in a position of looking to pay interest on all these accounts, allowing them to default stopped that and so even though I am paying the full amount, it is without a doubt reduced from my position 3 years ago and I feel knowing this outcome was possible, happy to gotten this far, defended myself in person and left with a loan with terms I could only dream of, written into law as interest free! I will make better decisions in the future on other accounts, knowing key stages of this whole process. We had the opportunity to speak in court, Judge (feels like just before a ruling) was clear in such that he 'had all the relevant paperwork to make a judgement'. He wasn't pleased I hadn't settled before Court.. but then stated due to WS and verbal arguments on why I haven't settled, from my WS conclusion as follows: "11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. "  He offered to stand down the case to give us chance to settle and that that was for my benefit specifically - their Sols didn't want to, he asked me whether I wanted to proceed to judgement or be given the opportunity to settle. Naturally, I snapped his hand off and we entered negotiations (took about 45 minutes). He added I should get legal advice for matters such as these. They were unwilling to agree to a TO unless it was full amount claimed, plus costs, plus interest. Which I rejected as I felt that was unfair in light of the circumstances and the judges comments, I then countered with full amount minus all costs and interest over 84 months. They accepted that. I believe the Judge wouldn't have been happy if they didn't accept a payment plan for the full amount, at this late stage. The judge was very impressed by my articulate defence and WS (Thanks CAG!) he respected that I was wiling to engage with the process but commented only I  can know whether this debt is mine, but stated that Civil cases were based on balance of probabilities, not without shadow of a doubt, and all he needs to determine is whether the account existed. Verbal arguments aside; he has enough evidence in paperwork for that. He clarified that a copy of a DN and NOA is sufficient proof based on balance of probabilities that they were served. I still disagree, but hey, I'm just me.. It's definitely not strict proof as basically I have to prove the negative (I didn't receive them/they were not served), which is impossible. Overall, a great result I think! BT  
    • Seeking further advice now. The 33 days in which the defendant has to submit a defence expires at 16:00 tomorrow. The defendant has submitted an acknowledgement of service but looking to get the claim awarded by default in failure to submit the defence. This is MoneyClaim Online and can see an option to request a default judgement but believe that is for failure to acknowledge the claim within 14 days??  So being MoneyClaim Online, how do I request the claim be awarded in my favour?
    • Have to agree with the above Health and safety legislation is specific in that the service provider in so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his employees and those not in the employ of the business. You claim is like saying you slipped in the swimming pool area while taking a dip. As rightly stated by by the leisure centre, a sports hall has dedicated equipment and you yourself personally have a legal obligation in mitigating danger or injury to yourself by taking account of your immediate surroundings. Where your claim will fail is if it is reasonable and proportionate to impose liability of the Leisure Centre? The answer has to be no.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mortgage Securitisation - Preferred

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4525 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've spent some of today reading about what's going on across the pond in the States with regard to this and it's bigger than I ever dreamed. There are websites set up telling people how to hold up to these banks and what to do. Looks like there are many claims companies too bringing this to the publics notice. I've learned one or two things from these sites which either puts a hold on repo's, challenges outright the bank to show who the 'note' holder is ( I take it that means Title holder here) in court and how the Judges are throwing out repo cases if the banks can't show they own the title. There is also a lot of discussion about the banks acting as servicing agents only and the actual validity of the trusts set up to hold these bulks of mortgage packages within the securitisation tranche.

Fascinating stuff and it seems they are a bit ahead of us on this.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's been very helpful to have CAGgers that argue for the lenders. Thank you Vincenta and Suetonis for your contributions.

Supersleuth

Thanks but I don't recall arguing for the lenders.

My posts have been purely in relation to the judgements made in the Paragon case (2005 not 2003)

As it would appear that the legislative points raised by Carmel Butler in her submission are similar to the points of that particular case.

i.e

LPA 1925 s.33 & s.34

LOP 1925 s.114, s.87 (1), s.136

LRA 1925 s.34 (1) s.33 s.27

LRA 2002

The case also refers to the involvement of a SPV in the legal process.

It is important to note that these are not comments or recommendations by people within the financial industry but judgements of 3 Lord Justices.

Personally, I think instead of putting this case to one side, people should learn from it and look at ways to overcome the judgements made.

After all would a lower Court rule that these judgements are incorrect ?

I wonder what Carmel Butler would make of this thread. Then again going by her high power and successful career history, I very much doubt she would ever have had the need for a mortgage with Capstone/Preferred/SPML/London Mortgage etc..

I've spent some of today reading about what's going on across the pond in the States with regard to this and it's bigger than I ever dreamed. There are websites set up telling people how to hold up to these banks and what to do. Looks like there are many claims companies too bringing this to the publics notice. I've learned one or two things from these sites which either puts a hold on repo's, challenges outright the bank to show who the 'note' holder is ( I take it that means Title holder here) in court and how the Judges are throwing out repo cases if the banks can't show they own the title. There is also a lot of discussion about the banks acting as servicing agents only and the actual validity of the trusts set up to hold these bulks of mortgage packages within the securitisation tranche.

Yes it really is

Certainly seems they often are!

I say, where there's a will, there's a way. I have a sneaky feeling some good news is going to break out on here soon....

The matrix is intrinsically flawed. Within it is the program for it's own destruction. If you are reading this, you are in the matrix and it's days are numbered...so watch out! :eek:

Hi

I don't suppose anyone has come across any news on the sale of Capstones have they.

There was a report that the final bids had to be made by 31st Jan but I can't find any more on it.

If anyone comes across any reports on it could you please post them. Thanks

midge

I have been sworn to secrecy ?but I am told the gov came up with the highest bid.............only joking sorry:D

kegi

ps not heard anything really....

Thanks but I don't recall arguing for the lenders.

My posts have been purely in relation to the judgements made in the Paragon case (2005 not 2003)

As it would appear that the legislative points raised by Carmel Butler in her submission are similar to the points of that particular case.

i.e

LPA 1925 s.33 & s.34

LOP 1925 s.114, s.87 (1), s.136

LRA 1925 s.34 (1) s.33 s.27

LRA 2002

The case also refers to the involvement of a SPV in the legal process.

It is important to note that these are not comments or recommendations by people within the financial industry but judgements of 3 Lord Justices.

Personally, I think instead of putting this case to one side, people should learn from it and look at ways to overcome the judgements made.

After all would a lower Court rule that these judgements are incorrect ?

I wonder what Carmel Butler would make of this thread. Then again going by her high power and successful career history, I very much doubt she would ever have had the need for a mortgage with Capstone/Preferred/SPML/London Mortgage etc..

Hi Suetonis,

You've done some excellent posts on this subject and it is correct to identify the hurdles that the lenders will put up against us so that we can prepare to rebut their contentions. The answer to this hurdle lies in your own signature -

non in legendo sed in intelligendo legis consistunt

- the laws depend not on being read, but on being understood

For the the time being, this may seem to be a cryptic answer to the points you have correctly understood and identified- but have you considered the possibility that there may be an answer to this hurdle?

Edited by supersleuth

The answer to this hurdle lies in your own signature -

non in legendo sed in intelligendo legis consistunt

- the laws depend not on being read, but on being understood

For the the time being, this may seem to be a cryptic answer to the points you have correctly understood and identified- but have you considered the possibility that there may be an answer to this hurdle?

My signature was chosen in jest, I do not consider that anyone really understands the law. Most areas of law and for that matter legislation (CCA 1974 is a clear example) are widely open to interpretation. With regard to the CCA, even Goode and Bennion disagree about the implications of the act, for example multiple agreements.

I personally consider that the law is continually evolving and as it evolves its implications change. Therefore, I do not consider it is truely possible for anyone to really say they understand law.

Because I personally consider that the law continues to evolve the answer to your question is yes, I do consider the possibility.

However, I consider that legal arguments should be treated like a game of chess. Yes your moves (legal arguments) are important, you just have to remember that your opponents moves (legal arguments) are just as equally important. Otherwise you will be in checkmate before you bat an eyelid.

Anticipate their move (argument) and be prepared to react and overcome.

Edited by Suetonius

Thanks JonCris and Suetonis,

Quite right - a moveable feast - following the game of chess - where either side has the opportunity to checkmate the other.

Suetonis, your signature is a jest and again we agree. Who can understand the law when it is dependent on the interpretation of the individual judges which means, it will be couched with all their prejudices and presumptions. They can reason their judgements backwards i.e. make the decision they want to make and then find the "reasons" for that decision.

It's rare to find a higher court judgement where the courts have found for the consumer. The Wilson v First Trust Case was one very rare example, and yet, when you read that judgement - just look at the contortions and desperate attempts the judges went through in order to try to find a reason to find for the lender.

The lender wasn't even at the hearings (they'd dropped out long before it got to the higher courts) and it was the judiciary themselves that initiated (and argued) a Human Rights argument for the lender!!! Have you ever come across a case where the judge initiates and argues a case for the borrower??? Never. Poor old lender having its Human Rights broken???!!!...as Jon Cris has already pointed out, in the rare cases where it goes against the lender, then they just change the law and accordingly, the CCA s.127(3) was repealed following the Wilson case.

So we are not just up against the lenders, we're up against the whole judiciary and the hm court service too!!

Nonetheless, it is the "justice" system that we've got and we've still got to try. Occassionally, where there's enough public momentum, the consumer breaks through despite the odds - e.g. the success on this site re the banking charges...likewise...this site may just create the momentum that's needed to break through with the repossession scandal.

One of us may just break through...we've all got to keep putting the pressure on to make them follow their own laws even when the law is on the side of the consumer!...that's how consumers broke through the banking charges robbery and the mortgage lender's robbery is even bigger!

Pender 2005 at first sight appears to be a slam dunk for the lenders, but as the law is a game of chess and a moveable feast, there's opportunities for both sides.

Suetonius, have you spotted any opportunities for the consumer in the Pender 2005 case?...oh, and I dpn't know where Caer Urfa is...but I'll join you in a drink to that anyway...

Edited by supersleuth

...oh, and I dpn't know where Caer Urfa is...but I'll join you in a drink to that anyway...

Think you'd have to wear a Roman helmet to drink with Suetonius, ss - it's near Hadrians Wall, South Shields if you're a Geordie in the know ;)

Anyway why has CAG suddenly gone all Latin? It's dead & I thought it was just about buried, what's with the resurrection? Is this your fault Suetonius? :D

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Think you'd have to wear a Roman helmet to drink with Suetonius, ss - it's near Hadrians Wall, South Shields if you're a Geordie in the know ;)

Anyway why has CAG suddenly gone all Latin? It's dead & I thought it was just about buried, what's with the resurrection? Is this your fault Suetonius? :D

Foolishgirl, you've been around this forum long enough to know there's plenty of dead stuff all around us :-D

I hope you're not referring to moi, smarterchick!! :lol:

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Suetonius, have you spotted any opportunities for the consumer in the Pender 2005 case?

Looking at the case, I would start by looking very closely at the Land Registration Act 2002. I would say this because, at the time of pender, compared to the LOP etc, the LRA 2002 was a relatively new piece of legisation. The implications had not been truely considered.

I would also say this because it is hardly mentioned within pender, so by basing any arguments on the LRA 2002, you are diverting arguments away from the problems caused by pender.

I would also recommend looking for any cases involving the

LRA 2002

SPV

Securities

to see if there are any useful judgements.

I would also suggest taking a very close look at the MBNA and Cap1 cases in relation to securities to see if anything could be of benefit. They may establish what a credit sells/transfers to an SPV..

The reason I consider that the Cap1 case needs to be looked at closely, especially when basing any conclusions on events over the pond. In her submission Carmel Butler states:

"There are no bad debts on the banks books. And if there is any bad debt, the amount is de minimis. A primary purpose of a securitisation is: to remove the credit risk from the bank’s books. The bank, under a ‘true sale’ will sell all its rights and title in the mortgages to the SPV and the SPV will in return pay the bank cash for the mortgage assets."

However the Cap1 case states:

"Two of the exceptions are the consequence of US requirements. The first, which the Appellant contends is reflected in substance and in form in the structure which has been achieved, is that the assignment must be a true sale; it may not be an assignment by way of security if US accounting standards are to be respected (necessary because COBE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of a US corporation which is subject to US standards). No such requirement is imposed by UK accounting standards, nor by the FSA"

This appear to suggest that in the US securitisation can only take place under a true sale. However, this does not appear to always be the case here in the UK. Therefore, it would be paramount to establish:

a) has securitisation taken place

b) was it under a true sale

Edited by Suetonius

This appear to suggest that in the US securitisation can only take place under a true sale. However, this does not appear to always be the case here in the UK. Therefore, it would be paramount to establish

This view would appear to be supported by HM Revenue & Customs (well at least in relation to credit card debt securitisation)

Guidance for specific trade sectors: Finance: Securitisation arrangements

"The credit card company transfers the beneficial interest (not the legal interest) in the receivables on a block of accounts to the trust."

AND

"The credit card customer is not informed of these arrangements and the contract between the company and the cardholder is unchanged (i.e. there is no novation of the contract). This means that the exempt supply is still between the credit card company and the cardholder.

This was confirmed by the Tribunal in Capital One Bank (Europe) Plc (COBE) [VTD19238] and the High Court in MBNA Europe Bank Ltd."

So we are not just up against the lenders, we're up against the whole judiciary and the hm court service too!!

Does anyone know WHY this is? Have you done any research on the history of the inns of court, the UK judiciary, freemasonry and international banking interests?

If you REALLY want to know why the judiciary almost always side with the lenders, google and research the above related topics!

I'll admit it's a slippery slope and once you start down this road you won't want to try or do anything 'cos it's all rigged' but if we can use the tools of 'the game', their own game, then there is hope.

They're smart, cunning and greedy, and fortunately for justice it's the greed that helps them to slip up. Somewhere in there, there'll be an angle we can exploit - just like the 'produce the note' strategy in the US.:cool:

The matrix is intrinsically flawed. Within it is the program for it's own destruction. If you are reading this, you are in the matrix and it's days are numbered...so watch out! :eek: