• Tweets

• Hi,   A few pointers from yesterday to take note of evris cpr 27.9 failed again so we should really make issue of this also their WX fail to comply with CPR so again we should take issue with their statement of truth  you cant get tort if you get damages under subsection 7 of CRA because its double recovery  - not sure what we think of this? however its the first time i saw the judges make reference to your non automatic rights from s49 which s54 and 57 assist with. We should start stating this specifically for claims as I think its much better than just 49 and 57 as we need to make it clear where our non automatic rights come from as 54 automatic frankly dont help  I have sent the claim form and defences to the admin email because I can’t upload them for some reason as it wont let me but thought this may help as its the first time we’ve taken tort to trial. although i think the DDJ was honestly struggling to understand some parts of the law because he was asking me about them and how he should interpret them, especially for the automatic. Will apply for transcript if you want it?
    • I decided on confrontation - which I hate.  Omg the arrogance of the driver.  They refused to say who had given them the alleged permission to park on the private land - unless I proved ownership.  I couldn't believe they could be so objectionable.   They advised they couldn't take public transport to work as they lived too far away.  They couldn't rent a local garage as none were available. I simply said that's their issue not mine. It was infuriating that this person had such misplaced entitlement.  However I decided to humour them and show them the title deeds.   They couldn't respond.  Although at this point they alleged some guy in a city up north - whose name they couldn't remember - gave permission!!    They then asked if they could buy the garages and land!! Yet can't afford to park on a meter !! They seemed to back down and agree to now park elsewhere.  I hope so. 
    • I've worked out the contractor invoiced apx 250k - Without adding vat to the invoices.  So based on above he should have added vat to all invoices once he reached 85k?  Obviously he had to pay his labourers - would those payments get taken off what he received?  Or it doesn't matter cos he invoiced for the high sum?
    • Greetings, I'm writing to seek assistance with an ongoing issue I'm having with Manchester Council.  I parked my car in a residential area behind Wilmslow Road to go purchase some food, not realizing it was a no-parking zone. I later received a letter stating I had failed to make the required payment, and the penalty had increased. I appealed the fine, explaining that I had parked there but never received the original Penalty Charge Notice (PCN), so I was unaware of the need to pay. However, the council's reply did not address my initial concern. Is there anything I can do in this situation? I admit to parking there, and I was willing to pay the original fine, but I don't think it's fair for them to demand a doubled amount when they failed to send me the initial PCN.  Any advice or guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance.   MK Document.pdf
    • If you look at some of the other debt related threads will see that one of the first things which will be asked will be for you to list out your debts in a brief chronological order, including date of debt, amount, creditor, amount outstanding, defaulted – yes/no – date of default, date of last payment made, have you acknowledged the debt at all to the creditors. That lot at least. I expect that my colleague @dx100uk will be along but will meet to know at least that information
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Why is no one claiming the contractual rate of interest???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4826 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Try adding this or something similar.
I calculate that you have applied £xxx.xx in levies and further, I also claim interest at a rate of 22.9% as set out in the attached list of charges. I believe this rate to be justified under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on your Cash Advance interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account. Therefore the total amount owed as of today’s date is £xxx.xx.

Excellent, thanks.

Mindzai & Lucid vs Lloyds TSB

Mindzai's Account - Partial settlement offer rejected

Joint Account - Partial settlement offer rejected

Spreadsheet for compound contractual interest and statutory (s69) interest:

Download v1.9 [Tested with Excel 97-2007 and OpenOffice 2]

PLEASE NOTE: You should fully research contractual interest before you use that functionality of this spreadsheet. If in any doubt please use it to calculate 8% interest under s69 County Courts Act 1984.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One further suggestion:-

Ask them to please calculate and advise as a separate item the precise interest levied on each and all of their default charges from xxxxxxx to xxxxxxx.

If they fail to do so, then by continuing as you were contemplating would leave you in a much stronger position, for if they then subsequently query the amount of interest you have claimed, you can show to the court that they were asked for the information - and declined and you took the initiative etc etc

Just a thought.

Hi Vampiress

I posted this question a little while ago - Do you know why is the last six years of charges so significant - is that a 'time issue' or a legal thingy (sorry I'm not very good with legal stuff)

I need this question answered as well if anybody knows???

see question 6 please here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/26061-help-needed-again-please.html#post203089

Kind Regards

Damian

Halifax Bank Charges

Sent request for staments 14/06/06

Calculated that Halifax owed me £2111.00

Sent PREM 14/07/06

Sent LBA 01/08/06

Halifax offered £210 as full & final settlement

Sent FLBA 11/08/06

Filed claim at CLCC on 18/08/06

Claim served on 01/09/06

**SETTLED IN FULL 06/09/06**

have just contacted citibank and apparently they do not charge a higher rate of interest for unauthorised borrowing!! what a nice bunch they seem..not

Pull the other one. I bet someone responds to counter that. Either that or citibank have been ripping off ALL of their costomers.

Have you got the small print

Just a thought. If we use todays increased contractual rate it allows for inflation

• Confused 1

Hi guys.

I have been trying to confirm this very same question today. I assumed that you could claim for contractual interest but the posts I read don't even mention this.

Running into this thread has convinced me that I should charge them what they were charging me.

This really is a thread that shouldn't be allowed to die as it would seem to me that a lot of people are losing out on substantial claims.

I will be claiming the contractual rate on authorised borrowing, and I have informed Lloyds of such in my LBA. If they don't want to pay it I guess they'll have to take me to court and prove their charges are reasonable.

PLEASE NOTE: You should fully research contractual interest before you use that functionality of this spreadsheet. If in any doubt please use it to calculate 8% interest under s69 County Courts Act 1984.

I dont believe the cc companies dont charge extra for going over the credit limit, but im damned if i can find it on any of my statements.

But anyway i looked at the cash withdrawel rate as being a relevant rate to charge ie their taking your money and using it in the same way as you might take cash out and use it.

JMHO

GLenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Ive spent a few hours toting up my sons charges and decided to try and work out manually the interest they charged on the charges.

He was charged a total of £470 since 2002

I worked out the interest to be £350

so its nearly doubled the claim

I know its a long job and probably a bit advanced for the average Excel user like myself but an old fashioned calculater , pen and paper did the trick and its worth it.

Happy days

You don't tot up the total charges THEN add interest, that comes later. You take each charge, when it was taken then calculate the daily contractual rate up until the day your calculating it (you can add daily interest beyond that date later)

I suggest if he had charges taken as far back as 2002 you have probably miscalculated

This account was a student account and had £2000 free overdraft. I basically worked out what the account balance would have been if they hadnt added the charges month by month. As luck would have it it wouldnt have gone over the £2000 limit at all so I am fairly confident that every bit of interest added to the account over the 5 years was as a result of the charges which is where Ive got the figure from.

If it goes to court I will then add the contractual rate of interest which I think is 1.22% per month or about 15% per annum.

In hindsight I wish Id spent time doing this with the other claims but never mind.

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

Related note - very confused by the difference between AER, APR and the monthly/daily percentage rate: monthly 2.05% x 12 is not = to annual 27.5%!

Can anyone explain in simple terms?

Try this:

Month Debt Interest per month

1 £100.00 2.05% £102.05

2 £102.05 2.05% £104.14

3 £104.14 2.05% £106.28

4 £106.28 2.05% £108.46

5 £108.46 2.05% £110.68

6 £110.68 2.05% £112.95

7 £112.95 2.05% £115.26

8 £115.26 2.05% £117.63

9 £117.63 2.05% £120.04

10 £120.04 2.05% £122.50

11 £122.50 2.05% £125.01

12 £125.01 2.05% £127.57

so £27.57 interest on £100 = 27.57% APR

Comprende?

hi can someone tell me, the contractual intrest rate that everyone is talking about, does this only apply to credit cards or just bank accounts with overdrafts or just normal bank accounts where charges have been for bounced cheques and d.debits or all of the above.

Thank you

karen

hi can someone tell me, the contractual intrest rate that everyone is talking about, does this only apply to credit cards or just bank accounts with overdrafts or just normal bank accounts where charges have been for bounced cheques and d.debits or all of the above.

Thank you

karen

as far as i know, all of the above. It's the rate that would be applied by the lender that is stated in the contract.

I've used the retail rate. I based this on the fact that charges show, at least on my statements, as spending on account and not cash advances. Also the amount they took from my payments and allocated against charges would have gone against paying off retail purchases.

As I type though, you have got me thinking now.

Since my account is now cleared off with a £0 balance and has been for 8 months, maybe I should be charging them the cash advance rate from Jan - Aug !!

** Note, these are my opinions only.

I would check your statements carefully, on mine they do classify charges as Spending on account and then cash advances are shown seperately.

I never expected to see the money paid out in charges again. Thankfully I've turned my finances round so i'm in no desperate rush for the money back. For this reason, I thought i'd give it a go and try and get the interest out of them - at the end of the day the claim for charges refunding is valid, all they/court can say about the retail rate is no so nothing lost. ;)

From the Small Claims Pack.

Interest

You can claim interest on all money which is due to you whether your claim is for a fixed amount or damages to be assessed. The interest rates are as follows:

* If you have a contract which specifies how interest is charged, then you can rely upon this.

* Otherwise all debts carry interest at the judgment rate which is currently eight per cent per annum.

* Damages, once assessed, are awarded interest at a rate that the judge decides is reasonable.

This is not to say that a Judge would see the existence of a CC contract as reason enough to allow a claim for interest at a rate higher than 8% - if it gets before a Judge, that is!

iGroup (GE Money) - AoS Filed late, defence late, amended defence also late despite extra time requested and granted.

Vanquis - Claim issued, no AoS or Defence received

- if it gets before a Judge, that is!

Exactly ;)

FWIW the actual rate you chagre should imho have some basis in logic.

For example if you contract has an excess o/d limit rate of say 24% then it would be reassonable to charge that rate when they borrow your money without your consent.

If on the other hand the same bank has a rate on another account at 29% I dont think you could show a link and shouldnt therefore charge that rate, I dont think anyone has suggested this its only an example.

If your account doesnt have a stated excess o/d or over credit limit then it would seem reasonable to presume that the cash advance rate would be a reasonable rate to charge on the basis that the company have used your money without your permission.

JMHO

Glen

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

I agree. Also if you haven't yet repaid the bank because you disputed the balance it is very important to reclaim THEIR rate as it will be included in the outstanding sum. The only difference is that if you haven't yet paid off the balance then you can only claim for the period they have been adding their rate

After your calculation it may be that their is suffcient left to pay that you can offset your claim against the outstanding balance. Or it may be a little bit of both offset plus refund

If you have settled the balance previously, part of your claim should consist of contractual rates (purchase) of interest as you WILL have ALREADY paid them.

Under those circumstances any judge would be hard pushed to suggest that the claimant was only entitled to a lower rate.

If you haven't yet paid the borrowing you are only claiming back what they have already added to you account.

Its important not to lose sight of the fact this compensation is not a windfall. It is either interest on monies you have already paid & have not had the use of since it was unlawfully taken or interest on monies which have been inflated & that are being demanded by the bank.

PS Cap 1 have responded to my s78 "we dont agree with the OFT & we have passed your account to a DCA".......Total disregard for s78 & as we all knew, the Commissioner. copies off to OFT post haste.

I agree. Also if you haven't yet repaid the bank because you disputed the balance it is very important to reclaim THEIR rate

If you have settled the balance in the past, part of your claim should consist of contractual rates (purchase) of interest as you WILL have ALREADY paid them.

Under those circumstances any judge would be hard pushed to suggest that the claimant was only entitled to a lower rate.

Good point, the argument of reciprocity can only be strengthened if they have already applied this rate. They'd have a hard time arguing it was unfair or unreasonable.