5 years old Laptop - should i or CAN I insure it?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5559 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I'm a freelance illustrator using an acer laptop that I bought back in 2003, it's still working pretty much perfectly and I've got mostly everything saved on an external hard drive.

It was insured up to 2005, and I didn't think to insure it further but now think I should - however I've been told by a couple of companies that it's too old now. Does anyone have any advice? Should I just go and buy a new laptop? (And being an artist should I make the dastardly leap of getting a MAC??!!)

looking forward to any replies!

• 1 month later...

The value of your laptop is negligable at best ....to buy it again today, the cost to you would be small. If its in your home most of the time chances are you would be covered by your contents insurance anyway but check the 'small print' as always. Google came up with this little site (not quite finnished yet but has some good advice) and could be helpfull:

Advice on Home Insurance: Insurance and Claims Advice for Homeowners, Landlords, Tenants & Students

If its not covered under your contents you could if offered by your provider, insure the item as indevidual item at a small extra cost. Good luck.

Cheers,

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

A laptop would generally be covered under your contents policy if damaged at home. If it was damaged outside the house, you would require to have accidental damage to personal belongings cover.

Please be aware that if the laptop is used for business purposes this may be excluded on your household policy. Normally you would hold a commercial insurance policy which would cover it anywhere within the UK.

Please note that some household policies offer you the choice to add business contents cover.

Edited by djmetsandy
Typo