sky broadband - charges doubled

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5226 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I just got letter from sky (my broadband provider) today informing me that they would be increasing my monthly charges to £10 from £5. This has just come out of the blue and I just can't do anything as I have a 12 month contract witht them.

Its strange how they keep increasing the charges all the time and force you to be in a contract.

Sky still advertise their mid package at £5 which is where it always has been, so I don't understand why the change... Contact them and check that no-one has upgraded your package to the max package without your consent.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I'm sure the sky T&C stating that they can only increase the charges by 10%, and only once in a contract period. Follow their complaints procedure:-

Complaints

If you should have cause to complain about Sky Broadband, please contact Sky Broadband Customer Services. Sky does not have a refund policy, but, if you feel the service you receive falls below that which you should reasonably expect from Sky, we will ensure that your complaint is dealt with appropriately.

Call us on 08442 410 515, 8:30am to 11pm.

Write to us at:

Sky Broadband

PO Box 43

Livingston

West Lothian

EH54 7DD

Complete our Broadband enquiry form

Visit our web site: Sky.com/customersupport

Escalation Procedure

Should your complaint not be concluded to your satisfaction following this procedure, the complaint may be escalated within Sky.

If we have not resolved your complaint to your satisfaction after three months or if you have received a letter from us saying that your complaint has reached "deadlock", you may make a complaint through Otelo, an independent alternative dispute resolution scheme. Otelo will investigate your complaint and if they decide that your complaint is justified, Sky will act on any decision they make and put things right for you. They can be contacted as follows:

By post:

Otelo

PO Box 730

Warrington

WA4 6WU

Telephone 0845 050 1614 or 01925 430 049

E-mail [email protected]

Visit the website: www.otelo.org.uk

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Is this the same letter I had. Mine said my free broadband would now have a charge of 5.00 added, but if I took sky talk as well as tv I would still get it free. What happened to whatever package its free?

yes thts the same letter,,,this is like blackmailing,,,,,'get sky talk or we charge u £5 extra'

I'm sure the sky T&C stating that they can only increase the charges by 10%, and only once in a contract period. Follow their complaints procedure:-

how do i do tht??

and locutus thanks for the info,,, i will definately be making a complain... hope that works

Edited by its_me
addition to post

They confirmed to me if no sky talk taken up, then 5.oo charge applies, so I cancelled. They offered me are you ready for it from today a promissed 6 month price 'freeze' increase, yet the 5.00 charge comes in march therefore only 3 months price freeze and I asked them to confirm it wont go up again after the 6 months and they said cant.

Bye bye sky so I cancelled. Its a shame as their bband is better yet I am sure most nowadays dont want regular price rises or ransomed to buy this and that, Ive had enough.

Cheak of them is I tried to cancel prebiously, put my account up to date as was slightly in arrears and asked them to shut it off when new bill due so paid up. They wont let me and I will end up having to pay about an extra weeks service in a bill, I hope this is proportionate and not a charge for a whole month.

Loctus thats from the sky digital subs t and c's and not the broadband but from bb t and c's

Sky Broadband is variable and our prices, Products and the Sky Broadband Extras can change, even during your Minimum Term. However, if we reduce the level of service provided by your chosen Product and you reasonably consider that you have been disadvantaged by this you will have a right to move to another Product or end this Contract. You can also end the Contract during your Minimum Term if we increase your Sky Broadband Payment more than once, or by more than 10% or the annual increase in the UK Retail Price Index, whichever is the greater. If you wish to end this Contract in these circumstances, then you need to let us know within one calendar month of notice of the change (Conditions 7(a), 11© and 11(d)).

If you leave this with me and i'll post back tomorrow on what routes you can take

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Okay,

if you wanted to cancel becase of the price increase then you only need to call them.

Ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Okay,

if you wanted to cancel becase of the price increase then you only need to call them.

Ida x

even though im in the middle of a 12 month contract?

shoud I say tht they r breaking the T&C and thts the reason I wanna cancel?

Yes, if you are in your min term you can cancel as the increase is above 10%

Idax

I couldn't get anything from sky as their systems are down, however I did contact ofcom to complain and they gave me the contact information above for sky and stated that the letter needs to be sent via recorded delivery and if you have an ofcom reference then to note this in your letter.

It looks like we will just have to cancel. It is outrages that they are allowed to breach their own contracts so blatantly and not be held accountable by any independent agency for doing so. Ofcom don't seem to be interested in taking the battle on :shock: just to inform us of skys complaints procedures.

Now we have to look elsewhere for our broadband which in very inconvenient and timely. Unfortunately I haven't found a better provider out there.

Also for any of those thinking of moving over to talk, just to let you know when you do you will be charged from BT for your caller display and 1571 service, which equates to £5 per month also, so you don't win either way.

• 3 weeks later...

Because Sky Talk can be more expensive on many calls (especially if you dial quite a lot of 0870 / 0845 numbers), it will cost more if you have features like BT privacy at home, You don't get the free texts you get with BT option 2 and 3, and thats only if you have your calls thrugh BT. If you have your calls thrugh another provider for cheeper international calls it will cost you a load more in call costs.

Also, a little note to the people with o2 mobiles (even PAYG) and the sky unlimited broadband package that are going to be affected with this, the o2's price is only £7.34 whereas the sky package will be £10 after this increase, and o2 use BE for broadband who are one of the highest rated for customer service and speed.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 1 year later...