• Tweets

• thread tidied. new thread for the court claim is here  
    • new thread created for this claimform please post here now for anything to do with it now . pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’. Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time. You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID. You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .. get a CCA Request running to the claimant . https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332502-cca-request-consumer-credit-act-1974-updated-january-2015/ .. Leave the £1 PO unsigned and uncrossed . get a CPR  31:14  request running to the solicitors [if one is not listed send to the claimant] ... https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ . .use our other CPR letter if the claim is for an OD or Telecom Debt or Util debt]  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ on BOTH type your name ONLY Do Not sign anything .do not ever use or give an email . you DO NOT await the return of ANY paperwork  you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform [1 in the count] ..............  
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Northampton  Name of the Claimant ? lowell Solicitors : Overdales solicitors  How many defendant's  joint or self ? Self Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to.  13 may 2024 What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? 1. the claim is for the sum of £6163.61due by the defendant under an agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 for hsbc uk bank plc. Account (16 digits) 2. The defendant failed to maintain contractual payments required by the agreement and a default notice was served under s 87(1)  of the consumer credit act 1974 which as not been compiled with. 3. The debt was legally assigned to the Claimant on 23/08/23, notice on which as been given to the defendant.  4. The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the county courts act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue of these proceedings in the sum of £117.53 the Claimant claims the sum of £6281.14. Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ?   Not to my knowledge. Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? No Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? Online but it was for a smaller amount they kept on increasing this with me asking Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. It was assigned to a debt collection agency  Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? yes  Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Yes I also made offers to pay original creditor a smaller amount but was not replied to Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? No Why did you cease payments? I was made redundant and got a less paid job I also spent some time on furlough during covid and spent some 3 months on ssp off work. What was the date of your last payment? May 2021 Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? Yes at the time I communicated with all my creditor's that I was running out of funds to pay the original agreements once my redundancy money ran out that was when my accounts defaulted. I then wrote to all my creditor's with pro rata offers of payments but debt collectors took over the accounts.
    • Just an update for all. I received about a letter every other week, increasing in threat levels. Then I hadn't had one for a about two weeks, then Saturday received a carbon copy of the very first letter they sent me in February. Made me laugh, rinse and repeat. 
    • So, your response was not received by the SCP as you did not send it with a valid stamp. Therefore, from my two option in post #14, the first option is the only one available to you, but you do not have the option of asking to be sentenced at the fixed penalty level as the reason the SCP did not receive your response was down to you. Here's a reminder of what to do: Respond to the SJPN by pleading “Not Guilty” to both charges. In the “Reasons for pleading Not Guilty” box state that you are willing to plead guilty to the speeding charge providing, and only providing, the “Fail to Provide Driver's Details" (FtP) charge is dropped. This is a tried and tested method to deal with your problem and is almost always successful. Before the pandemic it was necessary to attend court to do this "deal" because it needs the agreement of the police prosecutor.. During the pandemic courts made every effort to have as few  people as possible attend and they began doing this deal under the "Single Justice" procedure without the defendant's attendance. Some courts have carried this procedure on whilst others have reverted to a personal attendance being necessary. If you are required to attend, your case will be taken out of the SJ procedure and you will be given a date for a hearing in the normal Magistrates' Court. If that is the way they do it in the area involved you will have to attend, see the prosecutor and offer your "deal" in person. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

smt37 vs Morgan Stanley/Goldfish/Barclaycard ** ORDER TO PRODUCE CCA CPR31.16 WIN ***

smt37
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5189 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Either way, it comes down to having a judge on the day that is not pro-banks, which I would imagine is a bit easier these days, but still a bit daunting to take the risk and face paying their costs if you lose.

I'm not aware of anyone that has got this far yet as a claimant. Most people are in court as a defendant and some win and some lose. Rankine is the most famous loser as a claimant, but he did it wrong. However, the judgement offered the solution - apply for an injunction.

Hmm, im not sure i agree on the Rankine point aboiut the solution coming from their loss. they had already been hammered in the Court of Appeal before Gage LJ and they tried to employ the same arguments in the recent case, well some of them, that had already been ruled defective in the Court of Appeal

The injunctive relief is the best way forward if they turn up with no document after you have secured a disclosure order, no matter what judge you get, it should be relativley plain sailing from here and i would expect BC to write it off if im honest

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Barclaycard never managed to send me anything that was mine other than the card carrier. They sent me two application forms, but neither were mine.

Basically, if they produced an application form or card carrier or something else on the day, then that is what they are going to rely on in court when/if it goes to trial. It's the same for me now. They could start proceedings against me at any time, so I can choose to either ignore all future payment requests from them knowing that they are likely to produce the same 'agreement' in court if they seek an enforcement order against me, or I can make an application to the court seeking an injunction order under s.142(1) of the 1974 Act once the date of disclosure in the order has lapsed assuming I am comfortable that I can win the argument in a hearing.

Either way, it comes down to having a judge on the day that is not pro-banks, which I would imagine is a bit easier these days, but still a bit daunting to take the risk and face paying their costs if you lose.

I'm not aware of anyone that has got this far yet as a claimant. Most people are in court as a defendant and some win and some lose. Rankine is the most famous loser as a claimant, but he did it wrong. However, the judgement offered the solution - apply for an injunction.

Congratulations and well done! And if any bank deserves it stuck to them it's Barclays/Barclaycard, icing on the cake lol

The fact that you were just sent card carriers and copies of other peoples information is interesting though- it looked from the outset pretty certain they had nothing that would vaguely stand up in court, so it would be useful to see how a 'test' case goes where the creditor has sent something more substantial, like an app form with a signature etc.

Having said that Barclaycard were still prepared to go to court with an expensive barrister over it, which shows that when you get to this stage brinkmanship/ court room tactics are as important knowing the letter of the law inside out. What's good about this is Barclaycard have been stung badly here, and probably won't try it again.

Another thing though that's interesting- you said the debt was for under 5k. Does that mean you had a judge amenable to accepting this form of CPR to a lower level of debt [am I right in thinking one might not have?] or have I misunderstood the proceedure/circumstances [which is entirely possible lol] Congrats again.:)

i get the impression that b card deliberately invested a grand on a barrister in the hope of a success to try and dissuade others on forums like these

seems to be it spectacularly backfired and they may well continue with this to try and salvage some victory from it

I agree with you diddydicky

even if the defended 5% of claims i would think it may put some people off and not open the flood gates as the bank charges did,

they have a lot to lose,

lets hope we all stick with this and build up plenty of reasons to strike them out of court with there defences

Gary

smt (or PT)

Great thread, thanks for sharing.

Ok, so if Barclays can't produce the agreement within the 21 days ordered by the court, then the debt becomes unenforceable for ever more.

At this point, they might just give up and write the debt off, so you might not even think it's worth bothering trying to get an injunction against them.

But what about defaults?

In my friend's case http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/187319-militants-friend-barclaycard.html we have a situation where we are on a long (10 years+) payment arrangement, but no default has ever been issued.

So even if we are successful via the CPR 31.16 route, at the point we decide to stop paying we could still end up with a defaut for 6 years.

Have you ever been defaulted on this account?

I guess by extension my question really applies the credit reference agency data in general - i.e. will they now show your alleged debt as fully satisfied?

Would it be necessary to obtain an injunction to stop them processing data on your credit files?

Or can you use the Data Protection Act here? (because if they have lost your agreement they can't prove you ever consented to sharing of data)

Im sure PT will detail it further.. but just not having them comply with an order for disclosure won't mean the account is unenforceable and written off. You are a lot closer to that prospect by that time but still a little way to go.

:!: -Any advise I give is based purely on my own experience. It should not be solely relied upon as I am NOT a legal expert and any major decisions you make should not be based on my opinion alone -

HFC Bank - Davey vs HFC

Barclays - Monthly payments made

Cahoot - Agreement received, awaiting 2nd agreement after DCA.

MBNA1&2 - Agreements received. (Currently in limbo)

Halifax - Davey vs Halifax/Cabot

MINT - Davey vs Mint

Amex - Davey vs Amex

Cap1 **WON** £1,500 Written Off Davey vs Cap1

Never Sign Anything

smt (or PT)

Great thread, thanks for sharing.

Ok, so if Barclays can't produce the agreement within the 21 days ordered by the court, then the debt becomes unenforceable for ever more.

At this point, they might just give up and write the debt off, so you might not even think it's worth bothering trying to get an injunction against them.

But what about defaults?

In my friend's case http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/187319-militants-friend-barclaycard.html we have a situation where we are on a long (10 years+) payment arrangement, but no default has ever been issued.

So even if we are successful via the CPR 31.16 route, at the point we decide to stop paying we could still end up with a defaut for 6 years.

Have you ever been defaulted on this account?

I guess by extension my question really applies the credit reference agency data in general - i.e. will they now show your alleged debt as fully satisfied?

Would it be necessary to obtain an injunction to stop them processing data on your credit files?

Or can you use the Data Protection Act here? (because if they have lost your agreement they can't prove you ever consented to sharing of data)

if they do not comply with the order of the court then they are on a dangerous footing, notably as it could be considered contempt of court.

if they come back and say sorry we dont have it, then there is two routes,

firstly, they write it off due to being stooooopid and not getting their house in order, as a condition of accepting the write off then you should ask for removal of all adverse data from the credit fiile

second route, go for the injunction restraining them from doing any thing regards to enforcement of the agreement. secondly you would seek a condition of the injunction that they are restrained from damaging the credit file and finally you would ask for an order which allows suspension of payments until they do provide the agreement, which they will never be able to do

It should be noted that CPR 31.16 is a vessel to get you the info you need to be able to make a cast iron decision on if you have an arguable case it should not been seen as resolving all the issues

pt can i just come in on an aside here

i am fairly quick on the uptake but one thing puzzles me!

if an agreement that does not contain the prescribed terms cannot be enforced (ruled on by a court) why go to the bother of seeking to get a judgement since surely the creditor cant get an order on an agreement that the court cannot rule on?

pt can i just come in on an aside here

i am fairly quick on the uptake but one thing puzzles me!

if an agreement that does not contain the prescribed terms cannot be enforced (ruled on by a court) why go to the bother of seeking to get a judgement since surely the creditor cant get an order on an agreement that the court cannot rule on?

no not quite, the lender can ask the court to consider it, and if you get the wrong judge, well, you could be stuck

so by seeking an injunction they must provide the docs before the injunction can be lifted , so they need to provide the docs and convince the court that they are good so as to lift the injunction and then they have to ask the court to enforce it.

chances are they will not bother and will consider the potential costs implications toooooo

thanks still confused:

the CCA says that certain agreements CAN be enforced by a court and others (that do not contain the prescribed terms) CANNOT be enforced by a court

so what legislation does the creditor use which overrides the provisions of the CCA?

the Judge applies the law ( in this case CCA) to the material facts, yes?

so if the judge decides that the agreement as a whole does contain those terms then he can decide to enforce the agreement

remember its on the balance of probabilities not beyond reasonable doubt

if there is no cca, or one that is missing the prescribed terms and the CCA states that in such cases a court may not rule on it- how does the creditor get the case in front of the court?

how can you start proceedings on the basis on non existant legistlation?

i think that you are missing the point here

the document you have been supplied is improperly executed due to non compliance with s61 it seems, so the consequences of improper executed is set out within s65(1) which says the improperly executed agreement is enforceable only by order of the court

the courts powers are defined within s127 and 135.

so there is nothing stopping the creditor from making an application for an enforcement order

second route, go for the injunction restraining them from doing any thing regards to enforcement of the agreement. secondly you would seek a condition of the injunction that they are restrained from damaging the credit file and finally you would ask for an order which allows suspension of payments until they do provide the agreement, which they will never be able to do

PT

Is there some information anywhere on how much it costs to get an injunction, and whether there are cost implications against you if you lose (I mean if it isn't granted or it is later overturned)?

Also, I was under the impression that an injunction injuncts somebody NOT to do something - i.e. prevents them from taking a course of action unless they can prove they have a right to do it.

So surely the court wouldn't be in a position to order them to actually remove a default you had already received?

Does this mean the correct process is:-

1. CPR 31.16 victory > creditor admits they don't have the agreement

2. Injunction application > creditor ordered to stop chasing payment and to stop processing credit data

3. You can stop paying

And also, doesn't this mean you'll still have the old outstanding balance on your credit file forever more?

Edited by militantconsumer

PT

Is there some information anywhere on how much it costs to get an injunction, and whether there are cost implications against you if you lose (I mean if it isn't granted or it is later overturned)?

Also, I was under the impression that an injunction injuncts somebody NOT to do something - i.e. prevents them from taking a course of action unless they can prove they have a right to do it.

So surely the court wouldn't be in a position to order them to actually remove a default you had already received?

Does this mean the correct process is:-

1. CPR 31.16 victory > creditor admits they don't have the agreement

2. Injunction application > creditor ordered to stop chasing payment and to stop processing credit data

3. You can stop paying

And also, doesn't this mean you'll still have the old outstanding balance on your credit file forever more?

Ok,

Costs, no idea, i cant tell you what it would cost you as i have never done an injunction as a LIP but i have at work and the costs were circa 2-3K

as for court , the court has the power pretty much to do anything it likes, within reason of course but there is clearly power for the County Court to restrain a creditor from doing an act and this extends to reporting on the credit file. the court may also direct that things already done are unfair, unjust, inequitable and therefore must be undone

so the short answer is the court has that power

i think that your assumption is correct and i think that the injunction is the correct route where there is no credit agreement, where there is a credit agreement then that is a different ball game and one would look to seek declaratory relief under s142(1) CCA

so how does this tally up with this information

**What do we mean by unenforceable?

In the Consumer Credit Act section 127 there is a provision for making an agreement unenforceable if it does not contain certain pieces of information.

Subsections 1,2,3,4 state which pieces of information these are, and everything mentioned there must be included within the body of the agreement, if one is missing the agreement is unenforceable.

How does unenforceable differ from enforceable with a court order only?

When an agreement is unenforceable it means that the court or the judge cannot make a ruling on it. The court cannot make it enforceable.

When an agreement is enforceable only by ruling of the court it means that the agreement can be stopped by the debtor but the court has the power to re-instate it and allow the credit to continue to enforce.**

if the former applies how can a creditor ask a court to make enforceable what the consumer credit act says it cannot?

this is what i am having difficulty with

The court cannot make it enforceable.No the court cannot, but the judge will apply a test based upon the balance of probabilities, as to whether the prescribed information was there or was not- you only need to read cases where enforcement has been made on what the defendant alleged was an unenforceable agreement. however the court is there to decide as a matter of fact if the agreement has the info it must have, if it does the nthe court can enforce it, if it does not then the court cannot

When an agreement is enforceable only by ruling of the court it means that the agreement can be stopped by the debtor but the court has the power to re-instate it and allow the credit to continue to enforce.** correct, this is set out in section 65(1) CCA 1974, the point you are missing is this, i can sue you for what ever i want in principle, i could say you owe me a little green man from mars and 20 martian groats or something, the claim itself would be utter bollox but the fact is the court could allow it to be issued, much in the same way that a creditor can sue you under an potentially unenforceable agreement, i say potentially as it is the court who decides what is or is not enforceable (apply the law to the facts yes?)

you need to look at unenforceability as a Defence to a claim not an absolute bar on taking it to court, the defence of unenforceability can be raised in court, you really need to go read the case law, you will see that unenforceable agreement have still made it into the court room to be held unenforceable

look at wilson and First County Trust!!!

if the former applies how can a creditor ask a court to make enforceable what the consumer credit act says it cannot?

this is what i am having difficulty with

it applies but you are reading it clearly wrongly, im not sure how much clearer i can make it, you really need to look at something like Goode Consumer Credit Law and Practice or Lloyd and Guest, or Halsburys Laws of England

The other consideration in all this is that BC have effectively been refusing to produce credit agreements recently, thereby denying the consumer the right to see if there is an enforceable agreement.

SMT has used the CPR strategy laid out by Pt2537 to force BC to produce the agreement.

If they CAN produce it, and I'm sure they'll try looking hard this time, then it can be checked for enforceability.

If they CAN'T produce it, injuction time and GAME OVER for BC on this a/c.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

thanks pt i fully understand that whilst a creditor can issue a summons based on an agreement that IT says contains the prescribed terms -9as opposed to my contention that it does not) and it is for the court to decide if it does or not

what i cannot get my head around is that if there is NO agreement produced to the court whatsoever- for the court to look at (or at most only an application form with absolutely no terms on it whatsoever) are yu saying that the court could make an ASSUMPTION that there might be prescribed terms somewhere even if they are not visible on any document?

I only ask because clearly (IMO) if you have tried all the avenues you suggest to get this agreement (and kept all the correspondence ) from the other side and they have not supplied anything - it hs to be a fair bet that they don't have it

surely then it is better then rather than waste time and expense seeking injunctions to just sit on it and say to them - well go on take ME to court- if they do by some miracle produce an agreement it will be at their cost not mine and there chances of getting costs - given all the am muniition i would have - i would have thought would be zero.