Problems with Stamford & Green Council Tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5690 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

We have a council tax bill with the above bailiff, We sent a letter offering a payment of £30pcm with a means statement to back up that we really can't afford any more. the response that we recieved was;

We are unable to accept your offer of payment due to the amount outstanding the minimum we can accept is £50.

So we contacted them back and told them they have the means statement and they can clearly see we can't afford any more.

Next thing we know we have a bailiff at the door wanting to come in, thankfully i know better.

We have not been presented with nor have we signed any form of walk in agreement.

We called the office to speek to someone about the account again stateing that we were willing to pay £30pcm and we were told that someone would call us back to discuss this.

He did note down the reg of the car that was parked outside the front door it's very obvious its ours where we live.

To date we have not had our call returned.

Today we have recieved a letter in the post;

Having failed to clear your arrears I have today called to effect settlememnt of this account. FULL payment must be made to this office immediately to avoid removal of your goods.

Failure to adhere to this notice will result in our return, without notice, to remove goods. The Police will be in attendance if necessary to preserve order.

Now that letter is dated the 22nd and today is the 24th!

Am i right in thinking that there is not a whole lot they can do anyway as they do not have anything signed?

Can they really refuse a reasonable offer of payment?

Can they come and take the car?

What steps should i take next?

Many thanks in advance

Hi,

We have a council tax bill with the above bailiff, We sent a letter offering a payment of £30pcm with a means statement to back up that we really can't afford any more. the response that we recieved was;

We are unable to accept your offer of payment due to the amount outstanding the minimum we can accept is £50.

So we contacted them back and told them they have the means statement and they can clearly see we can't afford any more.

Next thing we know we have a bailiff at the door wanting to come in, thankfully i know better.

We have not been presented with nor have we signed any form of walk in agreement.

We called the office to speek to someone about the account again stateing that we were willing to pay £30pcm and we were told that someone would call us back to discuss this.

He did note down the reg of the car that was parked outside the front door it's very obvious its ours where we live.

To date we have not had our call returned.

Today we have recieved a letter in the post;

Having failed to clear your arrears I have today called to effect settlememnt of this account. FULL payment must be made to this office immediately to avoid removal of your goods.

Failure to adhere to this notice will result in our return, without notice, to remove goods. The Police will be in attendance if necessary to preserve order.

Now that letter is dated the 22nd and today is the 24th!

Am i right in thinking that there is not a whole lot they can do anyway as they do not have anything signed?

Can they really refuse a reasonable offer of payment?

Can they come and take the car?

What steps should i take next?

Many thanks in advance

1. ASK the council to take back the debt.

2. Look very carefully at the bailiffs' charge for evidence of fraud.

They have been very sneaky in posting you a letter saying they have called. They cannot charge you for a letter but, if they had really called, they could charge you £24.50 for the visit (No more). For a second visit, they can charge £18.50, but only if such a visit really takes place! If you find the bailiffs are attempting to diddle you (as many bailiffs do) write to them saying that you are not prepared to reward their attempted fraud by paying their illegal charges.

3. I believe that they can take your car, as it is accessible to them, without a signed Walking Possession Order. However, someone else on this group may have a definite answer on that. In the meantime, if you can, keep the car as far as reasonably possible away from your home or, if you can, in a friend's garage.

4. If the bailffs really do turn up at your address, instead of dishonestly pretending to have done so, On NO account let them in and DON'T SIGN ANYTHING!

Everybody needs to be aware that many bailiff companies are now putting a levy on a car outside. They know that the person will not let them into the house and therefore are levying on cars.

In fact so many are also now being taken.

Always remember that BEFORE bailiff has levied, the owner can sell, transfer, hide or give away any assets he wishes.

Transfer the vehicle into one of yourchildrens name and backdate it by 3 days b4 the bailiff turned up !!!

Unfortunately, the debtor's assets are "bound" from the day the liability order is issued. Any court in the land would see through this attempt to avoid enforcement.

Certificated Bailiff

Unfortunately, the debtor's assets are "bound" from the day the liability order is issued. Any court in the land would see through this attempt to avoid enforcement.

I don't think so! How can the bailiff know exactly what assets the debtor posesses before he turns up to attempt a levy? Indeed, the debtor's goods are his to do with as he pleases until and unless a levy is made.

Its perfectly reasonable for someone to sell or transfer goods before a bailiff turns up. Please quote the statute which says otherwise.