need some guidance

sarey331
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6499 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, everyone seems to know everything on here so will you all enlighten me? :)

im claiming back a relatively small amount from HSBC, and given that it was mostly my shopping that sent me over my overdraft limit im considering not claiming interest as its quite complicated and spreadsheets are really not my thing. the only concern i have with doing this is that it might give the impression that im too casual about it. i was thinking of including something about it when i send my prelim letter, what do you think?

that brings me on to my second question.

ive just had surgery, but i sent for my statements before i had it. i want to keep the ball rolling on this but im not sure i'll be able to get people to post my letters for me on time, and also i dont have a working printer which is a b*gger, so can i send it by email?

they recognise complaints by email, and thats how i requested my statements and they sent me an acknowledgement letter before sending my statements, so shall i give it a go.

ive told them before that i am a disabled customer when i couldnt make it into their branches but i dont know if they have some kind of record on that. but given that they record everything else that serves their purpose i should think they would do

so if anyone wants to hold my hand and guide me through this maze, feel free:p

Hi there and welcome. It does seem a maze to begin with, but the more you read the FAQ's, step-by-step instructions, and through the forums the easier it is to understand how to claim back your bank charges. It is acceptable to communicate via email, but make sure that you keep a record of everything, and the dates you send them. Ask for confirmation that your emails have been received. A lot of people don't bother with claiming interest at this stage, but if you need to do a claim through the courts you can add on 8% interest which is more straightforward, and there is help if you need it. Most people have not gone into branches to deal with matters and it is generally best to deal in writing, whether by post or email so that you have time to consider your responses.

Give it a go and see how you get on. If you get stuck then you can always post on here again with your questions if they aren't in the FAQ's. The more you read and understand the more confident you will become.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.;-)

• Confused 1
The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Sarey, sorry to temporarily hijack your thread, but I just have a quick question and it seemed silly to start a new thread for it!

I have just about got my initial letter read for the bank but am unsure of a couple of things. Firstly, can a schedule of my claim be banks statements with the charges highlighted?

Secondly, do I send my letter to my branch manager or one of the addresses in Leeds or Sheffield?

Thanks......and I promise to hijack again!

Becks x

not sure about the schedule, but it doesnt take much more effort to write out a list of charges

back to me ;)

have decided to try to do this all by email. in my prelim i explained to them that i am a disabled customer recovering from surgery and would therefore be contacting by email about my claim. Lets hope even HSBC wont wont to drag me out of my sick bed into court:D bit of emotional blackmail never goes a miss!

i can see headlines: malicious bank takes patient to court in dispute over illegal bank charges!

seriously though, internet banks have been considering claims by email so i cant see why hsbc wont, especially given my current predicament. if they say they wont i'll sue them for discrimination as well :lol:

Nice one Sarey.:p

Becks, as you are starting out on the process it is definitely worth you starting your own thread so that you can keep your whole story together which will make it easier to offer advice in the future. Read the FAQ's and the spreadsheets in the bank templates library can be used for the schedule of charges.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

ok, so im joining the parade or should that be charade?:)

well i'm doing this all by email because i get to the post office, so on sunday night i sent my prelim to the email of the person who sent out my statements, to their email address at hsbc, however i begain to realise that there is every possibility that he could just say he didnt receive it so i rang telephone banking to find out what the progress was and they said there was no mention of it at all on my account at all. icon_evil.gif she allegedly put a note on to tell them to contact me when they do write soemthing on my account

i've now re-sent it to the hsbc main customer servies email address, marked FAO Mr Moneybags aka david johnson because he was the last person i had a response from

just so everything's clear i'll give them two weeks form yesterday, which i when i sent it to the main cust services dept.

so now, lets wait for the banker to call with an offer :) where's noel edmonds when you need him:p

• Confused 1

Threads merged - please stick to one thread.

I would personally advise to deal with them through 'snail mail' rather than e-mail although some people have had some joy using e-mails. If the case does end up in court, all evidence has to be in writing anyway so you may as well send letters.

There's no need to go to the Post Office - many newsagents, supermarkets etc sell stamps.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

thanks for that barracad, but as ive said im recovering from surgery (sent for emails before op) and i dont want to wait for full recovery as a-i dont know how long it will take and b-they might think im backing off.

do you think it will really make a difference?

can always print emails off, im keeping copies of everything i send them

ok so i got an email from hsbc customer services they said they were sorry i had to contact them blah blah blah need postal address to look into this further.

i replied saying i apologise if i didnt provide all information necessary, gave them address and told them i'm sticking to my original timetable of actions.

well at least that clears up the question of them entering into email exchanges about this, so that's one thing i suppose:-|

is this delay tactics? they had account number and my name, im sure they could track it down with the info i provided

got another email from them today, (we'll look into it), but interestingly at the end there was this

SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!

This E-mail is confidential.It may also be legally privileged.

Ah-ha, so its all legit! fantastic. was begining to worry about not hearing from them because i thought they would just say we cant deal with legal matters by email when i filed my claim. not anymore.

or can they?

Let's hope not. Good luck with the fight and hope you recover soon.

Keep us posted!! (get it??)

• Confused 1

Barney2002 - If you want to see how I got my money back, click http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/11376-barney2002-hsbc-round-one.html.

HSBC

15/08/06 - £4955 paid in full from HSBC!!!!!!! 'Ave it!!

OTHERS

04/08 - Conf rec'd from Capital One - sending statements

07/08 - Conf rec'd from Tesco Finance - sending statements,29/08 sent prelim for £282

10/08 - Conf rec'd MBNA - sending statements.02/09 prelim for £437

10/08 - Conf rec'd Morgan Stanley - need to send ID - sent 11/08,rec'd letter offering £96(rejecting), 02/09 prelim for £220- Rec'd £240 few days ago.

If any advice I give is helpful then please hit the scales - Top Right. Thank you.

** For Every bed I sell to a CAG Forum member, I will donate £50 to the CAG **

Visit my site for the full range of Hand Forged Beds at

www.classicsiniron.co.uk

I like the old "SAVE PAPER -THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT" effort. Surely they've printed this for fun as I have received (unrequested) a second batch of statements from them. Surely if they had thought before they printed they could have saved a bit of cash and some tree's in the process.

Louise

hi if was already installed see if you can find the leaflets and instuctins you got with pc as should be an instruction manual with the passcode on it that is what its after

WHEN THE WORLD GETS IN MY FACE I SAY HAVE A NICE DAY :lol:

MY SUCCESSESS

HSBC £5,735.35 :D

MUM IN LAW £2112.00 WIN FROM HALIFAX :grin:

MUM £3580.00 WIN FROM NatWest :grin:

AUNTIE 2 NATWEST WINS £1865.00 AND £2541.00

EQUITA BAILIFFS £293.00 REFUND :grin:

MBNA £871.16 WON WITH CI AT 24.49%

WELCOME FINANCE CHARGES £600 APPROX didnt even need letter lol

CAP ONE WON WITH CI AT 29.9% £994.26

CLAIMS ON THE GO AT MO

mbna ppi

NatWest cc at mcol (ppi next)

welcome ppi

first response charges

IF I HAVE HELPED IN ANY WAY HIT THE SCALES IN BOTTOM LEFT CORNER THANK YOU ;)

Try downloading openoffice from the link below which is free, and there is a spreadsheet help thread in the General forum if you need help.

OpenOffice.org: Home

i cant seem to work out this excel thing, i found the key thing, thats ok but now i cant find the excel spreadsheet, saw another one but it wasnt the one i saw earlier and im getting in a satate about this.....:confused:

so im trying to download this OpenOffice but it says it going take 6hours to download

6hours?

im panicking, i want to work out this interest thing because ive just seen that ive miscalculated my charges by about £50, i know i can change this before i submit my MCOL but im want to work it out as soon as possible.

I assume you aren't on Broadband if it is going to take that long. There are spreadsheets in the Bank Templates Library, but if you have problems PM Vampiress and she will help you.

There has been a bit of tidying up the spreadsheets recently which is why it may not be exactly the same, but will do the job as well, if not better.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html

• 2 weeks later...

well well well.

today i received an offer, one im willing to accept my only problem now though is that ive heard that HSBC are putting the settlement money into peoples managed loan accounts instead of their current account. are they entitiled to ?

in my offer they say they will pay the money into my account within 7 days, my current account number is printed at the top of the letter and is also clearly printed in bold next to the part where i sign to accept.

is it therefore likely that they will be able to deposit this money into my managed loan account if they feel like it?

if so, can i take legal action against them to have it moved into my current account?

so what shall i do? i could call them to clarify that the money will be paid into my current account or i could accept the offer on condition that payment is made by cheque (but as i am recovering from surgery still it would be so much easier to have them credit my account rather than having to deposit the cheque).

what do you think?

Hi need some help.. guidance

Sent a letter to HSBC requesting all my bank charges over the pass 3 years DPA QUOTED ETC..

Receive bank statements, total charges HSBC charged on our join bank account is £950

Another letter (I USED THE TEMPLATES ON THIS SITE) sent to HSBC requesting our charges to be refunded.

We received a letter this morning from HSBC saying...

We do not agree with your contention that the charges that have been imposed by the bank are unlawful.

The contract between the bank and it's customer is governed by HSBC's standard terms & conditions. In respect of unauthorised overdrafts, the relevent clauses are 7.11 to 7.18. In these circumstances, there is a process that involves the bank considering wether or not to pay the item. A fee is payable for this and the fees are set out in the published price list.

I can confirm that the charges have been correctly calculated and it is not the bank's usual policy to refund charges correctly applied in accordance with our published tariff. This being the case, no refund is due.

the letter goes on to say thanks for bringing this points to our attention blah blah blah...

anyway my point is where do i go from here.. i would really really really be thankful :) if someone can help... i want to go the correct way now as i feel this may go all the way, which i knew from the start and im more that 100% going to see through till the end. I have already set up a bank account with another provider, but can anyone help with my next step!!??

Thanks in advance

Chris

[email protected]

i received a very similar letter just yesterday- dont worry it s standard. Stick to your orginal timetable.

Down with HSBC!!!

Check out my thread sarah v hsbc

I've beat HSBC, GE Money and Abbey

Court pending V Barclays and Time Retail

forst of all, get your own thread :) im joking, all waifs and strays are welcome.

secondly i got the whole terms and conditions line too, but they did offer to settle, but im now reconsidering my first thought to accept......anyway i am replying:

In your letter you referred to your terms and condition as justification of the charges you apply. Whilst I can see your logic you must understand that these charges are illegal under consumer legislation 1977 Unfair Terms (contracts) Act as well as 1999 Consumer Credit Act (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts) and this is why the oft and your customers are taking action against you.

as a consumer i am protected by Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (UTCCRs) and it is under this legislation that i will be pursuing my claim in full in small claims court.

im going to be adding interest and ive virtually decided that im not going to accept their offer now, tempting though it was i looked at my spreadsheet and i though actually i would quite like the interst! :) am i being greedy?

what do you think of my letter anyone?

you might find this useful nif you're at teh same stage as me

http://www.oft.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/720A136C-9435-40C4-8549-7BDFCCF85B70/0/oft143.pdf

If I was you I would ask for a cheque, HSBC told me today (after depositing my claim into my account and then taking it out the following day after realising their mistake - I asked for a cheque) that legally if you request a cheque they must comply with your request.

REFUNDED

Hubbys - HSBC £4,165 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £651 paid 18/8 after MCOL issued :)

HSBC - £147 Prel 7/8, LBA 21/8, MCOL 6/9 £241

Hubby Halifax - Prel 29/7 £215, LBA 21/8, Offer rec. £110 22/8, MCOL 6/9 £298

Abbey - £2758 - Prel 26/6, LBA 10/7 - MCOL 26/7 £3,391, offer 25/8 £1,755.94, paid £3567.32 after Case manag hearing

Barclays - £675 Prel7/8, LBA 21/8, offer received £300 MCOL 6/9 £998 - Paid £1,012 before going to Court

yes tigs, i read your thread and thats partly what got me thinking about requesting a cheque.

i also read somewhere that they are legally entitled to offset this money against any outstanding 'bad debts', but does my managed loan count? i have defaulted or anything like that, i only have the blasted thing because i couldnt clear my overdraft as a result of these flippin charges.

i will ask for a cheque. and i probably will settle. much as id like interest id also like to take to have that extra money for the summer holidays

i thin ki will call them or email mr langdale and say i am willing to accept payment by cheque only