Alternative to Clamping. A landowners view

Guest pdyke14856
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5721 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It was clear that the OP had a closed mind anyway and appeared far more interested in plugging clamping/a particular PPC than looking at alternatives. I very much doubt whether he ever had or has a car park at all. Clearly the site is rattling both PPCs and clampers who feel the need to come on here and pontificate so I guess everyone should keep up the good work.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I understand, it is illegal to stick something on a car windscreen which can obscure the driver's view that cannot be immediately removed. i.e. must peel straight off leaving no residue. The reason being that if a driver continued to drive without removing the notice and had a crash you could be cited as causing the crash.

You imply it "comes off with effort" which sounds like you may need to use a scaper or warm soapy water to remove, both of which would not be readily available at the site. I would suggest you check into this further before someone actually reports you for an offence. In the meantime it might be advisable to stick it on another window which would not be deemed to be obstructing the driver's view for safety. (eg rear window driver's side)

Exactly so. It is criminal damage in that you are rendering the vehicle unroadworthy.

However, if you stick it to the driver's door window, it is equally effective, but does not make the car/van roadworthy as it can be driven with the window down - uncomfortably so, maybe.

So in conclusion based on the replies from posters on this board

Well thanks to all who have contributed. Well done, I truly think that this website has allowed me to make my decision. There doesnt actually seem a real alternative to clamping.

As someone who has experienced similar problems I have sympathy. But it is a fact that you cannot issue a penalty to someone who parks where it inconveniences you. It is also a fact that there is no panacea for the problem.

The problem with all the standard PPC models is that they do not want to solve your problem, they want to profit from it. All the solutions they advocate rely upon the obstruction and inconvenience actually occurring and then making money out of it for them . They might offer you a token payment but this is because they want your car-park spaces as a paying business. They dont want your parking spaces free for your customers, they want them full of mug punters who will pay any invoice that looks official.

The only thing that you can do is discourage- by whatever means are legal which could be clamping, threatening to clamp or charging to use your parking spaces

How about put up prominent clamping signs- but don't actually clamp. This worked for one of our businesses.

Or if it is practical in your case turn them into customers. Put up signs saying parking is £xxx per hour at entrance to car park. You are entitled to charge what you like- something off-putting but clear at the entrance. Permits available in your offices for whoever you deem should receive 100% discount. . this won't deter everybody but then at least your invoices would be legitimate.

Its all about discouraging people from parking in your spaces without entitlement so that you can run your business, isn't it?

thanks guys i'll take your advice to make sure we dont break the law. Of course we could take a leaf out of the PPCs book and put a notice up saying , by parking here you enter into a contract to buy warm soapy water to remove the notice for a sum of £150 reduced to £75 if paid within 14 days. hehehe

Guest pdyke14856
It was clear that the OP had a closed mind anyway and appeared far more interested in plugging clamping/a particular PPC than looking at alternatives. I very much doubt whether he ever had or has a car park at all. Clearly the site is rattling both PPCs and clampers who feel the need to come on here and pontificate so I guess everyone should keep up the good work.

As another poster would say 'Quantify that statement'.

Genepool, don't overrate yourself or this site. I am a legit business owner, the other thread I have posted on testifies to that and I have offered the OP on that post to come and say Hi this weekend if he wishes. Hardly the actions of someone pretending to be something they're not.

I actually had an open mind. It was a legit question and the original post was honestly something I had seen and was looking at. Why on earth would I know it's legal or not without asking you lot.

I dislike the idea of clamping, but apart from fencing off the parking(to whit I still have to leave some access for customers to get in) after all of the postings on here and listening to the arguments about what is legal, it appears that the most successful, legal one to stop people parking and sending out a message is to provide customers with a permit and let clampers do the rest.

A massive sledgehammer to crack a nut but it's looks like the one that is the most cost effective for a small business.

pdyke, the reality is that nobody on this site knows who anybody else is and assurances don't amount to much. We have had far more PPC/clamping trolls claiming to be something they are not than I could shake a stick at. I am entitled to my opinion that you were not seriously considering the alternatives, and engeged on an "agenda" -to me that is clear from your posts. Others may take a different view. References by you to "feral proles" and other vile insults don't exactly paint you in a good light.

What an amusing bunch on CUK. I have rarely read such mad rantings from people who clearly have no contracting to do. It is not surprising that nobody would want to employ such a bunch of misfits. I love this quote from out own pdyke:"No idea, you fancy a little sTROLL cadet";I thought it was a bonehead clamper's convention. It turns out to be a bonehead contractor's convention. But thanks guys for some of the biggest laughs I have had in a long time.

Funny thing is these bozos seem to think that they have been clever. Clearly a hard time for UK contractors who need to find something to do with the time on their hands. From a cursory glance at that site it does not look like anyone needs to go there and retaliate - they already have enough extremely immature characters stirring it up.

I don't know why I bother
I must agree. :-D

- remove your head from your bottom this instant
But honey, how would I ever hear what you were saying then? :-D

Funny thing is these bozos seem to think that they have been clever. Clearly a hard time for UK contractors who need to find something to do with the time on their hands. From a cursory glance at that site it does not look like anyone needs to go there and retaliate - they already have enough extremely immature characters stirring it up.
Quite right, that would be pointless and just as immature.

Besides, talk of an own goal: Should a genuine businessman in need of guidance come here and read those threads, they would instantly be advised about the legalities and consequences of ignoring the law and therefore hopefully ignore the very people who would rely on his ignorance to con a living out of him and us. :-D

Oooh yes, they must really be congratulating themselves now! :lol:

Tut tut. Wrong again.

I may be MF on CUK, but not on here. One of my fellow CUK posters has taken my username for here. Probably Oracle!:lol:

I had a legitimate question and I only posted the thread elsewhere as I was accused of being a troll as you don't like being challenged or having someone taking an alternative view. I find a number of your posters take the approach of 'I know what you are, but what am I?'. It's petulant, borish and childish.

So you wanted childish trolls, we have a shed load and they're all well off, self employed contractors with more money than sense who honestly find your pontificating site rather amusing.

Now Bookworm, live your life through a website by all means, but some of us have a living to earn.

I think you'll find that I answered all your posts to the point and factually, without resorting to namecalling and even repeatedly agreed that clampers who act within the law would win their case every time. Of course, if you don't read the answers and instead insist on baiting other people, well that's between you and yourself, I'm afraid. :-)

As for living my life through a website, where is that quote again?

Oh yes, here it is:

That's an entirely unsupported hypothesis, based on limited observation, extrapolation and inference.
However, believe what you will, not surprisingly, your opinion matters extremely little to me. I get a huge job satisfaction from helping little people reclaiming their lawful right. People like you don't even make a dent on that, and when they resort to personal insults, I find it even more amusing. :-)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5721 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks