Help please! A few quick questions!

h8DCAs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5702 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone!

I just stumbled across this site and after reading, you all seem pretty knowledgable!

Wonder if I could ask a couple of questions!

1. I have a lot of debt from when I was at Uni - it is all aged between 4 and 5 years. I am based in the UK. I have moved address a few times and haven't been on the electoral roll for years. As a result I get very few letters from DCA's. How do they find out my address?

2. I used to have an account with woolwich and a student account with barclays. £1050 overdraft - now 1800 with charges. Woolwich account turned into a barclays account after a merger - can they just take money from my account?

3. I haven't acknowledged any debts at all for years. Will they ever go away or could I effectively get letters forever? And would my credit rating ever get better? Will the debt always exist or will it disappear?

4. Could I have CCJ's I don't know about? If so what can I do about them?

finally

5. I've just got a well paid new job. it would be nice to pay everything off. Trouble is, I don't have a clue how much I owe, or to who! How can I find this out and how would I go about contacting them. Would they accept lower payments to settle in one go? Then, say I pay them all off, can I clear their marks from my credit file?

I know that it's a lot of questions, but I'd like to get them all out of the way in one go! Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone!

I just stumbled across this site and after reading, you all seem pretty knowledgable!

Wonder if I could ask a couple of questions!

1. I have a lot of debt from when I was at Uni - it is all aged between 4 and 5 years. I am based in the UK. I have moved address a few times and haven't been on the electoral roll for years. As a result I get very few letters from DCA's. How do they find out my address? Have u applied for your credit file, have u applied for credit?

2. I used to have an account with woolwich and a student account with barclays. £1050 overdraft - now 1800 with charges. Woolwich account turned into a barclays account after a merger - can they just take money from my account? depends on the T+Cs when the acc opened, some say that u authorise them to take minimum repayments out of any acc u hold with said company till the amount is repayed.

3. I haven't acknowledged any debts at all for years. Will they ever go away or could I effectively get letters forever? And would my credit rating ever get better? Will the debt always exist or will it disappear? itdepends on a lot. If the money is student loans some are defered to a later date which if after this later date u dont pay or acknowledge the debt for 6 years then yes they will disapear off your credit file as they cant collect after 6 years but they will still exist.

4. Could I have CCJ's I don't know about? If so what can I do about them? yes you can but if you have a valid reason u could have them set aside but it is up to the courts.

finally

5. I've just got a well paid new job. it would be nice to pay everything off. Trouble is, I don't have a clue how much I owe, or to who! How can I find this out and how would I go about contacting them. Would they accept lower payments to settle in one go? Then, say I pay them all off, can I clear their marks from my credit file? rite you need to apply for your credit file to find the info out but then u will have the problem of ppl knowing where u are and the begging lettes will start flodding in.

U cant then ccd/ prove it letter ppl and see what they have. If they have nowt then u are in a better position than if they have proof.

I know that it's a lot of questions, but I'd like to get them all out of the way in one go! Thanks in advance!

Up to u if u follow my advice but it all does depend on what the money if owed from and the TCs of the agreements

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Hi,thanks for your quick reply.

1. Have u applied for your credit file, have u applied for credit?

Not applied for credit recently nor credit file

2. thanks

3. itdepends on a lot. If the money is student loans some are defered to a later date which if after this later date u dont pay or acknowledge the debt for 6 years then yes they will disapear off your credit file as they cant collect after 6 years but they will still exist.

Thanks - they are student accounts, credit cards, mobile bills, sky bill, etc

4. Thanks

5 thanks

Would it be beneficial to pay them off and not have to worry? And would I get a better rate if I paid in a lump or should I just be a git and pay monthly?

rite well first what type of bills are they if poss can u list each one and if they are with a DCA/ OC now.

I would need to know this so i can give you the best advise.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I think you will find that student loans don't ever disappear (unless you repay the debt of course).

---

If you want to find out about any CCJs you might have the place to contact is Registry Trust Ltd. This holds all CC records.

It costs £8 for one search : one person, one address, one register.

There are registers for County Courts, High Courts etc etc.

If you've had multiple addresses you'll need to pay the search fee for each one. RTL Home

It is worth noting that Registry Trust does not make search records publicly available, unlike the credit reference agencies. Hence no-one will know you've made a search there.

The information available from Registry Trust is

the defendant's name

defendant's address as given by the claimant at the time of the judgment

the defendant's DoB (if known)

the Court name

the case number

the date of judgment

the judgment amount

the status

[i'm reading this from the one I have in front of me:)]

The information is that provided to Registry Trust by the County Court where the case was heard. Anything after that is not recorded - I have two CCJs where the case was transferred elsewhere for enforcement but this isn't recorded. Nor do you get any of the paperwork (notice of claim, judgment etc.) so you have to write the appropriate court and ask for that if you need it. You don't even get the claimant's name!

Lastly, Registry Trust send the records out on paper by second-class post so you have to wait a few days for it.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)