£200 is now £500 + Default...help!

jo5ephedward5
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5715 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I had a Capital One credit card with a £200 limit – I got into a bit of a sticky situation last year and couldn’t afford the min payment which was very little to be honest however once one was late the £12 charges rolled in.

Anyway I ignored it for ages then sent a request for all statements etc – they were helpful and sent them, I was busy with more pressing issues at the time and did nothing with them, I had a couple more letters off them saying I now owed…wait for it £501 – I think I may have also had a letter saying the debt was sold.

I had a letter off various collection agencies suggesting I owed £501 to them but I never acknowledged them and they went away – now on occasion CapQuest have been after the £501 [i’m having major issues with them over another alleged debt] but again this is the usual idol threats.

I now have a relatively good credit file and have a host of upto date debts that all have good payment records for over 3 years – the only thorn in the side is this Capital One Default [and the other CapQuest one mentioned above].

Now I’m pretty sure that the debt is mostly charges and I bet some of the actual owed figure (£200) is too – I only have statements up to a point where it was £240 – I’ll go through that and see what’s been paid to them in charges…how should I tackle the rest…

I think it would be a case of contacting Capital One for the remaining statements then claim the charges back and get the default removed as part of it. The problems I see with this is I do indeed owe them some money even if it ends up only being £50 and also they will give the £12 is OK argument – how will that stand up when I try and reclaim my charges?

The Default was only caused because a late payment has ended up with £300 of charges on it now – do I have an argument that if this want the case I’d have made the £8 payment and all would be peachy?

cheers

People who haven't made mistakes, haven't made anything!

Just go for it....

Send in your SARS Request, tally up what charges you have had issued against you and get a request sent off to get them back ;)

See my thread below...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/134817-stokiepotter-capital-one-old.html

I also had a card with a limit of £200 and was being chased for £260 by a nice chap from Wescot (then CapQuest). Thought to myself... hang on, Ive paid near on £400 to Crap1 so where the blimmin'eck has £260 come from.... turns out I had paid near on £370 in charges and claimed back £503 (including interest / court fees).

Got my letter off them yesterday to inform me that they had agreed to pay me the £503 (minus the monies owed) to save the courts "Valuable Time"....

1 - Send off your SARS (plus £10 fee which is not refundable)

2 - Use the spreadsheet to tally up your charges (automatically adds your 8% interest ;)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-6-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html

3 - Request it back by sending your Prelim Letter

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/671-2-letter-preliminary-approach.html

4 - Youll get the usual speal from them saying theyll only refund so much.... Stand firm for the full amount and send a Refusal Letter

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/25716-rejecting-offers.html

5 - Then send a Letter Before Action (they will stand firm and say "blah blah blah this is the final offer"

6 - Then fill out your N1 form and send off to the court...... :D

Youll get a letter back saying they are defending the claim and within 3 weeks you should be at the stage I am now...... ;)

Now just for the Default Removal :-/ - Ill have to update you on that one, depending on how I get on ;)

"Good Luck"

SP