• Tweets

• Post #415 you said you were unable to sell it yourself. Earlier I believe you said there had been expressions of interest, but only if the buyer could acquire the freehold title. I wonder if the situation with the existing freeholders is such that the property is really unattractive, in ways possibly not obvious to someone who also has an interest in and acts for the freeholders.
    • i dont think the reason why the defendant lost the case means anything at all in that case. it was a classic judge lottery example.
    • Hello, I will try to outline everything clearly. I am a British citizen and I live in Luxembourg (I think this may be relevant for potential claims). I hired a car from Heathrow in March for a 3-day visit to family in the UK. I was "upgraded" to an EV (Polestar 2). I had a 250-mile journey to my family's address. Upon attempting to charge the vehicle, there was a red error message on the dashboard, saying "Charging error". I attempted to charge at roughly 10 different locations and got the same error message. Sometimes there was also an error message on the charging station screen. The Hertz 0800 assistance/breakdown number provided on the set of keys did not work with non-UK mobiles. I googled and found a bunch of other numbers, none of which were normal geographical ones, and none of which worked from my Luxembourg mobile. It was getting late and I was very short on charge. Also, there was no USB socket in the car, so my phone ran out of battery, so I was unable to look for further help online. It became clear that I would not reach my destination (rural Devon), so I had no choice but to find a roadside hotel in Exeter and then go to the nearest Hertz branch the following day on my remaining 10 miles of charge. Of course, as soon as the Hertz employee in Exeter plugged it into their own charger, the charging worked immediately. I have driven EVs before, I know how to charge them, and it definitely did not work at about 10 different chargers between London and Exeter. I took photos on each occasion. Luckily they had another vehicle available and transferred me onto it. It was an identical Polestar 2 to the original car. 2 minutes down the road, to test it, I went to a charger and it worked immediately. I also charged with zero issues at 2 other chargers before returning the vehicle. I think this shows that it was a charging fault with the first car and not my inability to do it properly. I wrote to Hertz, sending the hotel, dinner, breakfast and hotel parking receipt and asking for a refund of these expenses caused by the charging failure in the original car. They replied saying they "could not issue a refund" and they issued me with a voucher for 50 US dollars to use within the next year. Obviously I have no real proof that the charging didn't work. My guess is they will say that the photos don't prove that I was charging correctly, just that it shows an error message and a picture of a charger plugged into a car, without being able to see the detail. Could you advise whether I have a case to go further? I am not after a refund or compensation, I just want my £200 back that I had to spend on expenses. I think I have two possibilities (or maybe one - see below). It looks like the UK is still part of the European Consumer Centre scheme:  File a complaint with ECC Luxembourg | ECC-Net digital forms ECCWEBFORMS.EU   Would this be a good point to start from? Alternatively, the gov.uk money claims service. But the big caveat is you need a "postal address in the UK". In practice, do I have to have my primary residence in the UK, or can I use e.g. a family member's address, presumably just as an address for service, where they can forward me any relevant mail? Do they check that the claimant genuinely lives in the UK? "Postal address" is not the same as "Residence" - anyone can get a postal address in the UK without living there. But I don't want to cheat the system or have a claim denied because of it. TIA for any help!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Robin Banks v MBNA **WON** but still fighting on !!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5312 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

just some more info robin,

[QUOTE]

What will be sent to me?

You are entitled to be told if any personal information is held about you and if it is, to be

given:

a copy of the information in permanent form;

an explanation of any technical or complicated terms;

any information the organisation has about where they got your information from;

a description of the information, the purposes for processing the information; and

who the organisation is sharing the information with; and

the logic involved in any automated decisions (if you have specifically asked for this).

from this link>>>>>> Information Commissioners Office (bang in a Complaint)

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen...ess_rights.pdf

good luck;)

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Hi all,

I have drafted the below, based on Alan's information if someone could have a look and advise on beefing up and/or improving I would be most gratefull.

Dear xxxx

Thank you for your letter dated xxxxxx, I acknowledge the fact that you claim not to hold any recordings or transcripts of telephone conversations held between your company and me. However I must point out that the information you have provided is incomplete in that you have not complied with ICO guidelines. Under these guidelines I am entitled to any personal information that is held about me and if it is, to be given an explanation of any technical or complicated terms.

You have provided me with a comms log and an abbreviation key, but the abbreviation key only covers approximately 25% of the abbreviations listed in the comms log. I request that you provide me with a complete list of all abbreviations used by your operatives when annotating comms logs. I further request that you provide a full explanation of all entries in the comms log.

If I do not receive a satisfactory response to my request within 14 days I will be making a formal complaint to the ICO.

Yours etc etc

go get them:grin:

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

just some more info robin,

[QUOTE]

What will be sent to me?

You are entitled to be told if any personal information is held about you and if it is, to be

given:

a copy of the information in permanent form;

an explanation of any technical or complicated terms;

any information the organisation has about where they got your information from;

a description of the information, the purposes for processing the information; and

who the organisation is sharing the information with; and

the logic involved in any automated decisions (if you have specifically asked for this).

from this link>>>>>> Information Commissioners Office (bang in a Complaint)

good luck;)

aa

I'm glad you posted this link up as it's useful for me too :)

Hi all,

I have drafted the below, based on Alan's information if someone could have a look and advise on beefing up and/or improving I would be most gratefull.

Dear xxxx

Thank you for your letter dated xxxxxx, I acknowledge the fact that you claim not to hold any recordings or transcripts of telephone conversations held between your company and me. However I must point out that the information you have provided is incomplete in that you have not complied with ICO guidelines. Under these guidelines I am entitled to any personal information that is held about me and if it is, to be given an explanation of any technical or complicated terms.

You have provided me with a comms log and an abbreviation key, but the abbreviation key only covers approximately 25% of the abbreviations listed in the comms log. I request that you provide me with a complete list of all abbreviations used by your operatives when annotating comms logs. I further request that you provide a full explanation of all entries in the comms log.

If I do not receive a satisfactory response to my request within 14 days I will be making a formal complaint to the ICO.

Yours etc etc

Good letter :)

go get them:grin:

Tie 'em to the mast LOL

:lol:

Hello all,

this is so good helping people to fight greedy financial institutions so they can regain their money. Lets hope we see more successes listed as the banks are now on the back foot and delaying by whatever means they can. They are also making false statements to claimants to make them uncertain of their chances of getting refunds to put them off and stall them.

keep up the fight

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Bank charge successes:

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Hi all,

Got a response from MBNA this morning to my claim for my money back, not my complaint about incomplete SAR.

''Thank you for our letter Blah blah. We are currently investigating your complaint and we will issue a response within 28 days''

Being a reasonable person I will wait 28 days for their response

• 4 weeks later...

OK folks bear with me on this cos I am out in India working at the moment, I am not due back for a week. I phoned OH tonight and MBNA have responded negatively to my request for money back. They claim that I agreed to PPI over the phone some weeks after the application form was filled out and NO was ticked (a fact that they aknowledge).

I am sure that I would not have agreed to PPI at any time.

There may have been a phone call on the date they specify, but there is nothing in the call log from my recollection that indicates ppi was ever discussed or agreed to.

My general questions to put my mind at rest and so that I can start formulating a response for when I get home in a week.

1, Would I have to have signed a form agreeing to T & C's even though it is alleged it was sold over the phone?

2, If so, there was no such form with my SAR, do they have to prove that I agreed to PPI?

3, Would they bluff/lie to put me off the trail?

Thanks in advance

Hello rb,

There may have been a phone call on the date they specify, but there is nothing in the call log from my recollection that indicates ppi was ever discussed or agreed to.

My general questions to put my mind at rest and so that I can start formulating a response for when I get home in a week.

1, Would I have to have signed a form agreeing to T & C's even though it is alleged it was sold over the phone? I Believe YES but check link below

2, If so, there was no such form with my S.A.R - (Subject Access Request), do they have to prove that I agreed to PPI? YES

3, Would they bluff/lie to put me off the trail? Difficult one that:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

Have a look at this it may answer all of the above. It is a huge thread but useful.

Consumer Credit Act Agreements

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Hi RB

When you come back to the UK, I think it would be useful to send a letter stating quite plainly that you do not accept their response, that FSA regulations in selling PPI have been breached and that you want your money back. You could also state in in your letter that even though the sale was made in a non-advised capacity you still had a right to receive additional info to help you make an informed choice so as determine whether or not the product suited your personal circumstances. You could also add that the lender has taken advantage of your lack of knowledge in selling you a procuct which, had you been better informed, you would not have chosen.

The S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) is incomplete in that they have failed to provide you with crucial info the T&Cs which you have a legal right to receive.

This will be your LBA which we discussed in an earlier post. In my opinion, they haven't got a leg to stand on and are indeed bluffing to make you back down and go away.

Do read through the link that aa has provided as well.

:)

Edited by Paintball
Typos!!

Hello Painty and RB,

Do read through the link that aa has provided as well. He may come back to you on this sentence when he recovers.:D I will be switching forums to avoid flak;)

Thanks for the backup on this link but do you know how many weeks it will take RB to get through it:eek:

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

216 pages and the internet connection in my office out here is almost as slow as dial up!!!! Might leave this till I get home. :):)

Surely for any type of contract (assuming ppi for a credit card is a contract) whether it be for PPI or pet insurance they have to send out t & c's and a contract for the applicant to sign.

If the above is correct are they not legally obliged to keep a record of that contract/agreement for 6 years?:?

Hello RB,,

216 pages and the internet connection in my office out here is almost as slow as dial up!!!! Might leave this till I get home. :-):-) Good idea;)

Surely for any type of contract (assuming ppi for a credit card is a contract) whether it be for PPI or pet insurance they have to send out t & c's and a contract for the applicant to sign. Yes but it does not alway happen.

If the above is correct are they not legally obliged to keep a record of that contract/agreement for 6 years?:confused: Again yes and it is 6 years from the last transaction on the account and not 6 years from when it started. so if the account started in say 1995 and the last payment was 2003 then the requirement for them to retain records would still be in place.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

Thanks Alan,

The account is still open so that's good. I am looking forward to getting home now to check the comms log again, I strongly suspect that the call they are referring to is probably the card activation call. There was absoluteley zilch, zero, nothing, nada in the SAR pack referring to PPI.

• 11 months later...

Hi all, this thread has been dormant for about a year due to ill health and personal circumstances. I was considering resuming the battle when out of the blue, yesterday,

I received the letter below.

Dear Mr XXXX

I am writing in relation to the previous response that was sent regarding your PPI complaint.

It has been brought to our attention that in our original response we advised that the FOS would not be able to deal with your complaint due to it being out of the time limits for referral. This was an oversight on our part. Although we still believe this is the case, it is up to FOS to decide whether it is within their time limits for referral.

We would like to apologise for this oversight and a gesture of goodwill we have awarded you £150.00.

In light of this oversight we have also re-opened your complaint in order to review the original decision that was made. I can confirm that following this review a decision has been made to now uphold your complaint.

The details of your refund are as follows

PPC £4205.83

Associated interest £472.58

Gesture of goodwill £150

I can confirm that I have credited your account with the total amount of £xxx and this will appear as a credit on your next statement.

Should you be unhappy with this final decision you do have the right to refer it to the FOS within 6 months from the date of this letter.

Yours sincerely etc

Success!!!! but only a partial victory. The PPI is a little over what I calculated, I’ve checked the account and the money has been transferred. However, the interest rate on the account was increased from circa 19% to 30% when I made the initial complaint. I sent the below letter at the time, but the rate has remained the same. Only final para is relevant.

Dear Mr/Mrs xxxxxxx,

Thank you for your letter dated xxth September 2008, I acknowledge the fact that you claim not to hold any recordings or transcripts of telephone conversations held between your company and me. However I must point out that the information you have provided is incomplete in that you have not complied with Information Commissioners Office guidelines. Under these guidelines I am entitled to any personal information that is held about me and if it is, to be given an explanation of any technical or complicated terms.

If I do not receive a satisfactory response to my request within 14 days I will be making a formal complaint to the Information Commissioners Office.

Furthermore I am also in receipt of your company’s letter stating that you are increasing the interest rate on the account from 2.0751 per month to 2.5292 which is approximately 10% per annum. I deem this to be retaliatory behaviour on your part. This response is wholly unacceptable and if my account is not returned to the original interest rate with immediate effect I will be reporting your action to the FSA who take the matter of "retaliatory and punitive measure on the part of lenders to borrowers’’ complaints extremely seriously.

Yours sincerely

I have drafted the below letter,

Dear Ms xxxxxx,

I acknowledge the receipt of your letter dated the 30th of September 2009. However I refer you to my latter dated 20th Sept 2008, a copy of which is attached for your information.

The final paragraph states:-

‘Furthermore I am also in receipt of your company’s letter stating that you are increasing the interest rate on the account from 2.0751 per month to 2.5292 which is approximately 10% per annum. I deem this to be retaliatory behaviour on your part. This response is wholly unacceptable and if my account is not returned to the original interest rate with immediate effect I will be reporting your action to the FSA who take the matter of "retaliatory and punitive measure on the part of lenders to borrowers’’ complaints extremely seriously’

This issue has not been addressed, I expect the interest rate to be returned to the original 2.0751% per month with immediate effect, and a full refund of all payments made at the higher rate. If I do not receive a positive response within 14 days I will be writing to the FSA and FOS informing them of your actions.

Yours etc

Thoughts anyone?

Would one of the mods like to edit the title to won?

Excellent RB nice result and nice to see you keeping up the pressure for the return of the additional interest and to have the interest lowered to the level it was at before you submitted a complaint to ask for your money back. :D

aa

Consider the **WON** done and remember to post up in the PPI successes at the top of the forum

Enjoy and hope your are feeling better. :)

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from

You of course are more than welcome keep the forum posted on the claim for the contractual interest..

I have also had another small success bringing my total reclaims to £17,983.94 with four more in the pipeline. Also have three claims on bank charges to be settled after the supreme court ruling, hopefully this month.

Keep up the good work :D

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from