Disablity Benefit for child

notsoevil
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5754 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi!

Wonder if someone can help.

My sister has two kids, one who has arthritis she was in a wheelchair but now can just about walk on crutches but not very far.

She is applying for disablity benefit but how much is this normally?

I have tried to look it up but cant see it anywhere!

Many Thanks

The thing to remember when she fills in the form is to make sure she describes the worst case scenario.

Questions like: How long to walk to the shops? If the answer is sometimes 10 mns, sometimes 1/2 hr, write 1/2 hour. Q: How often does carer need to get up to help during the night? A: Sometimes once, sometimes 5, write 5. Etc, etc...

Remember they're not interested in how well the child is doing, but whether her needs are significantly different from a "normal" child of the same age. Our natural instinct as parents is to minimise the issue, but believe me, it is doing the chid no favour in the long run as it a) risks being awarded a lesser amount, which ends up being counterproductive to the child's welfare, b) will make things harder for child to claim on their own when they're older.

The DLA forms are highly distressing to fill in and very repetitive. Don't forget that your sister may also be entitled to claim Carer's Allowance, but the entitlement is not automatic on award of DLA, she will have to apply for it separately. My advice is to apply for it and send ot off at the same time as the DLA, they will turn her down until she gets decision from DLA, but then it will get backdated if she gets DLA, whereas they won't if she leaves it until she gets her award.

Don't forget to notify Tax Credits as well once DLA is awarded, as there is a disability element to TC that can be quite substantial, and also you may then qualify for Housing Benefit/Council Tax Benefit, see you local council website for info.

I asked that question actually - as she has got tax credits, will she not get the full correct amt if her daughter hasnt been "offically" recognised as disabled?

I also mentioned carers allowance, but she is claiming income support and wasnt sure if she could get both, isnt it one or the other?

Thanks bookworm, is disabled element of TC a lot of just a few quid? Trying to sort out sis finances as she has so many things she needs to pay for and so many things she needs to buy! She has had a crisis loan previously and now is applying for budgeting loan but I dont think she will get what she needs. (her ex ruined everything she owned! including kids beds! so now she has moved ... with nothing)

Try going to her local council welfare rights officer who can see what she might be entitled to and help with application forms for DLA.

They are so good, I'm beginning to think "go and see your local council welfare rights officer" will be on my gravestone, I say it so much!

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .