• Tweets

• Is the letter headed Letter of Claim/before Claim or similar? If not, it sounds like more of the threatogram chain. If you're not sure, post up an anonymised copy of the letter and we'll check. HB
    • So guess what, we have received a final demand letter for £100. It states if payment is not made by 11/06 they will have no option but to forward the case to their litigation dept with a view to commence County Court Proceedings. So just wondering if anyone has any advice. Do we ignore this? or do we need to take action? Thanks 
    • hi dx, thanks for helping just re-reading everything this morning and I must have missed this one from uncle in his thread "What you should not do, is not contact the Banks and simply default on payments. "  are you in disagreement with this based on your last sentence?
    • Thanks for the reply and clarification, that might just explain why in my case contact has pretty much ceased. Though with such companies it doesn't mean they won't ever threaten to return to court as a tool to force one's hand if they feel they are not self informed on their chances etc.  But concerning how last year they tried to use the CCJ to get a charging order and the court granted an intirum order on our mortgage using the CCJ that would have been a good 2-3 months beyond the 6 years, should the court not have checked the age of the CCJ in the first case or would they always grant an interim order simply off the back of a CCJ being produced without even checking the age of it?.  Had I not defended that action at the time they may well have got a default using a CCJ older than 6 years which could be a concern going forwards. At the time when I contacted the court to question the paperwork for a final order application the clerk suggested people don't get informed when companies apply for interim charging orders, they are automatic if a claimant has a CCJ and people only get contacted once a date for a final order application goes through. kind of begs the question if such companies can continue a seemingly backdoor method to attempt default action if un-defended if the initial application doesn't need to check the age of a CCJ?.
    • Hello!  Wondering if someone can help with this.  I suspect not but worth a go.  I appreciate the "contract is with the seller" line, which is what Evri has fed me but wanted to see if someone with experience in these things could suggest anything else I could do here.  I appreciate there are many topics about lost parcels - My parcels weren't lost, until the driver walked up to my door with them and then decided to make them lost/stolen... I'll summarise what has happened.  Wednesday of last week - Evri delivery driver stole / walked off with 3 of my parcels.  -  Arrived outside my properly, took photos (3 separate photos as its 3 separate deliveries) of the tops of the parcels (pointlessly zoomed in on just the labels, couldn't see anything else, other than a small piece of the pavement and a little weed, which doubly confirms it was outside my door as I can see the same plant), marked the order as delivered and walked off with them.  He's marked on the Evri GPS marked that he was outside.   -  3 different deliveries, from the same company (same boxes etc.), but 3 separate tracking numbers. -  Went through the Evri bot which opened a case on each tracking number.  I then phoned them and left a voicemail explaining what had happened. -  24 hours later had a canned response asking me if the packages had turned up and to check around etc..  I responded explaining again what happened and that they've definitely been taken. -  4 days later,  this morning, I get a response telling me to ask the merchant to refund me. I've responded to this message with a long email, repeating what I said, that I believe the driver has stolen these packages and that he took those suspicious top down shots of the packages, marked them as delivered without ringing or knocking etc.  I've said that I expect them to investigate further, but I gather they won't. In my several messages to them initially and later, I told them I don't care about a refund and wanted the parcels.  They contain some sentimental stuff, nothing of high monetary value, hence me going to this trouble.  I only paid £25 for the contents. I did contact the merchant when this first happened and they asked me to wait a few days.  They ended up refunding me despite me asking them not to and that I wanted them to escalate it with Evri because this appears to be a case of theft.  They didn't seem bothered - Refunded me and told me to go back to Evri and escalate it with them? So - Is there any way to compel Evri to conduct a proper investigation with this driver?  Search for my parcels? I have quite a lot of deliveries handled by Evri (not out of choice) - They used to have a fantastic chap and I rarely had any issues.  He has been replaced by a new guy and I believe the route is handled by this same guy who I believe has taken my packages.  Naturally, I fear this is going to happen again in the future if no investigation occurs. Appreciate any assistance - Thanks for reading. Al.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Statutory demand for payment, Debt for liquidated sum payable immediately

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5752 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well from my first post as Spex357 in the year??? i have been expecting this day, my first Statutory demand. This is from a signature i gave on an account for a national builders suppliers for a company i was appointed director too in the last two years. It seems official in every respect, name of creditor, court address, warning etc. I remember the day my MD asked me to sign a form whilst the rep was still there, and the thought if they look at my credit record it wont happen, but hey it did so hear we are. Am i right in thinking i need to send a request for the agreement etc to see exactly what i have signed for?

The form you signed, was it a personal guarantee? In what capacity were you a director, did you have shares?

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Um, have you got a copy of the form? Can we see it?

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

HI

I was a director in name only, but was issued with shares at some time, i think they made me a director so they didnt have to pay me regular. I am thinking its a personal guarantee and no i dont have it.

You say you have been expecting this day. Have you had correspondence regarding this situation? approximately what is the amount involved?

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Company directors have certain legal responsibilities and obligations. If you have signed something as a director then you probably have some serious trouble looming.

Can you tell us a lot more detail for us to assess the likely implications.

When did you receive the SD and when do you have to respond by?

Are you still working for the company?

Is the company still trading? If not is it in voluntary liquidation or receivership?

What documents do have?

Are you still a director or has your directorship been terminated or have you resigned?

Did any other directors sign the same form or, if it was for you individually, their own individual version of it?

What is the nature of the debt? - unpaid bill?

You should request a copy of the agreement you signed so we can see exactly what it consists of (but note that, being a business matter, this isn't covered by the Consumer Credit Act so any request under that act is irrelevant).

Just a thought : was this a guarantee of some sort? Pondering over your comments it sounds that way.

Edited by palomino
missed a word

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

Hi all

I have been expecting some doom since week one of my appoinment. It became apparent very quickly the other four directors had no idea on the money, accounting side of business. The bill of £13,000 is for unpaid building materials. I am pretty sure myself, The MD and one other director are signatures, i have mailed the ex MD to see if he has the office paperwork at home, if so i should have a copy pretty quickly. We did lose two directors by resignation but they where not removed from companys house when i last looked (May). On my MDs return from his holiday as he flipped through the stack of unpaid bills he suddenly announced there was no point going on and promptly sat down at the pc behind me. Ten minutes later he said he had resigned and so had i. How was my first thought, ive resigned you at companys house just now and removed us. Having spent nearly two years worrying about the mess of a company i was working for and worse, i was a director, on hearing that i stood up and left. The company no longer trades as far as i know, but is relying on some one to put it out of business has it has no funds.

My next concern is should it have been shut down sooner.

If i request a copy of the agreement are they duty bound to supply it?

• 3 weeks later...

hi

can anyone give me some advice been to cab today they wasnt very helpfull,well i recieved a statutory demand under section 268(1)(a) on sat 9th its now wednesday 13th august the demand is from connaught collections for a credit card debt of £1044.00 which they say is from 2004 i cannot even remember a credit card from the company style.the stat demand was sent by second class post it doesnt give detail of which court i should contact it just says on page 3 if you believe this should be set aside contact our offices and then gives there phone number.

the date on their demand is the 26th july yet i got it in the post on saturday 9th august.i no i have 18 days to set aside so i went to cab and they sent me to the county court yet my local court doesnt deal with this i have to go to the next county suffolk and im in norfolk to have it set aside,yet the 18th day is today according to their letter .

What will happen do you think if i dont go to suffolk and get it set aside do you think its a threat/bluff or do you think its real. i have no assetts i live with my partner and 3 kids i dont own my own house i have no savings the only thing i have is my car.and im on jobseekers.

what would the next step be for them would they go as far as bankrupt me for a small debt if it went that far would they take my car as i use it each day as my mum is disabled and im on carers allowance and i have to use the car to see her and look after her each day.

should i contact connaught collections or wait and see or should i send them some kind of letter im really worried i carnt even remember the debt but if its mine i coulnt afford to repay the whole amount straight away but i could offer 20.00 per month at a push but i guess they wouldnt accept such a small offer.

any help would be great.

Emmliss, you have hijacked someone else's thread. You also have the same post in the Debt Collection Industry forum.

It's best to stick to your own thread.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

Hi all

I have been expecting some doom since week one of my appoinment. It became apparent very quickly the other four directors had no idea on the money, accounting side of business. The bill of £13,000 is for unpaid building materials. I am pretty sure myself, The MD and one other director are signatures, i have mailed the ex MD to see if he has the office paperwork at home, if so i should have a copy pretty quickly. We did lose two directors by resignation but they where not removed from companys house when i last looked (May). On my MDs return from his holiday as he flipped through the stack of unpaid bills he suddenly announced there was no point going on and promptly sat down at the pc behind me. Ten minutes later he said he had resigned and so had i. How was my first thought, ive resigned you at companys house just now and removed us. Having spent nearly two years worrying about the mess of a company i was working for and worse, i was a director, on hearing that i stood up and left. The company no longer trades as far as i know, but is relying on some one to put it out of business has it has no funds.

My next concern is should it have been shut down sooner.

If i request a copy of the agreement are they duty bound to supply it?

Spexs is there any update on this?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Still no copy from my ex MD but i will pop over to his house today and see if i can get hold of it. Last night i was handed another copy of the demand at my door, the male said he would be back in 21 days to hand me my court papers. The demand includes a £159.15 charge.

In the morning i had a letter from LLoyds regarding my previous post in another forum "its finally arrived" and had just filled in my financial statement, now it looks like i didnt need too.

Just spoke to the ex MD and "he hopes he has it", my chat about keeping paperwork for the insolvency people seems to have fallen on deaf ears. He did say the one of the banks is chasing the other four directors for £10,000+ which takes me right back to my question at the start of my appoinment "wheres the £10,000 gone" a reply from one as he opened out one side of his suite "look at the lining" didnt bear well for the future.

Spexs, You really need serious commercial advice on this. I'm not a lawyer but I have picked up a wee bit of that area from the businesses I have worked for. I can't give you legal advice for this reason, although I can put some perspective on things.

You signed up as director without taking legal advice or even finding out the duties and obligations of a director. This was at best naive and at worst pretty stupid [i suspect you already know this now and don't appreciate my telling you], although I understand you did this for the best of reasons.

You also signed an agreement to act as a guarantor for payments of goods supplied which you seem not to have read (or read properly) and seem not to have realised the implications. In essence you have signed up to pay the creditor if payment is not received from the original debtor (your old company). Were you the only such signatory?

Agreements where there are joint signatories tend to imply what is called joint and several liability. In other words each party is liable for that part of the debt not recoverable from other parties. If there are other signatories then what is happening about them? Have they disappeared?

If you are the only signatory then you are the only guarantor. In this case the creditor is quite legally able to ask you to pay up as that is what your signature means. Since the debt is so large I'm not surprised they are getting pretty serious about this - I would if it were me.

What happens now? You've received a Statutory Demand. You appear to have no grounds on which to have this set aside. You have no money or insufficient money to be able to negotiate with the creditor for a reduced settlement (which would be unlikely in any case) or staged payments as funds permit. If you do have sufficient funds I would assume that you would have paid the creditor by now.

If the SD is granted (the hearing can only grant the SD or set it aside - there is no discussion or negotiation about repayments or whatever) then the creditor is able to petition for your bankruptcy. Do you have your own home or any other property? What other debts do you have?

Being bankrupt may be an option but you must take advice on this from (at least) the Citizens Advice Bureau and the National Debtline.

Alternatively you must find a way to provide for the debt somehow. If you have no realisable assets then you might want to consider allowing a charging order on your property (if you have any).

In post 6 I asked a number of questions which you haven't really answered. Can you have a look at these again (and the ones in this post) and let us know the details so we can help you better. At the moment we are rather groping in the dark.

A look at the form would also be very useful if you could upload a scanned copy here (remove your personal details from the scanned image before uploading).

One final thought : you say a bank is chasing the other four directors for £10K+. Is the reason that you are not involved with this because it was incurred prior to your becoming a director?

Yes, i have hung out to the end luckily, only two weeks before my MD said the company needed me on the bank, on the way home my office junior suggested i told him No followed by a chuckle and "good luck" my MD was a serial bully and would resort to violence if he didnt get his way, on site was different as you couldnt be seen to be fighting so once he threw a drill at me in a temper for telling him he was doing it wrong.

Assets seem to have been in short supply since i became a single parent 10 years ago, especially spending three years on the sick or JSA and my wife staying in the house whilst we have had two social housing moves involving carpets and curtains, beds, pots and pans etc. We have never actually bought any furniture yet to put anything in or on which my children say has made them into throw away people, and receipts are rare to back up their belongings. Much joy ahead:rolleyes:

I dont even have the pleasure of any womens assets at the moment which is a bummer

Hi Palomino

I never expected in my life to be a director, so week one i was in research mode and have been ever since, and everytime we had an office meeting i would drag up pages to show them all there obligations as directors. It was worthy of a photo seeing them all bent over looking at the screen but i think the only bit of advice they ever took was getting Articles of association drawn up. I was a major thorn in their sides but had no clout being out numbered.

I'm getting the feeling my MD doesnt or cant give it to me.

From what you have described so far in this thread that is probably to be expected. Did you ever have a copy of your own?

do i need to CCA Travis or just ask?

The Consumer Credit Act (CCA) applies to credit agreements. Your agreement isn't a credit agreement, it's a guarantee. Hence the CCA is entirely irrelevant.

But, yes, you could ask Travis. I would imagine they would be able to provide a copy in view of the impending court action.

One further thought : did you sign the form as a director or just yourself personally? If you signed as a director but then ceased to be a director then your liability might have ceased at that point. You will need a lawyer to talk to you about this.

Hi All

The shares situation was a little odd, not what i expected, a quick call some papers to sign and no money changed hands. I think the first set up shares cost them maybe a pound which they shared out with me when i joined, and then later after two had left (sacked, Resigned) Md ordered some more for us two as there was a problem getting them back and he was worried about the balance of power. I'm pretty sure no money changed hands at that time.

Still no joy from the Md but managed to find it on-line

Presumably you filled in your details in the Credit Guarantee box and the Names and Addresses box. There is nowhere to say in what capacity you signed the form but since the boxes specify owner/director/company secretary it can be presumed that you signed as one of those (probably director).

Did any one else sign the form?

There is nothing in the small print to say that your guarantee ceases when you cease to hold the position in which signed as a guarantor. TP will therefore try and say that it was therefore in perpetuity, however I believe your liability ends when your position and/or employment ends. This is where you need a good commercial lawyer. If you can afford it try and get this single point clarified although this unlikely to be 'get out of jail free' card.

Does TP know that you are no longer involved with the business and, in particular, do they know you ceased to be a director some time ago? Was payment of TP's account overdue at the time you ceased you involvement with the business?

HI Palomino

Yes i'm pretty sure it would have been on stop like every account was, My MD and office junior signed, junior hasnt had any letters. The rep spoke to the MD some weeks ago and TP are well aware we are no longer trading.

I am looking online for a business forum as good as this one, but no joy yet. I am not looking for a get out of jail card, i would just like to show my MD how much mire he is in, Written down so he can read it over and over again so it sinks in. He thinks its no big deal, a quick visit to a judge say your bit, home have lunch, set up another company, start again, peni.