Giving an informal overdraft and taking the proceeds

sheepshead
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5758 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, frequented here for a long time, but got an issue i cant find! Will try to keep it short. I have a HSBC business account, about Jan 07 £90 overdrawn and it started!!. so lodged claim around April 07 for charges and the overdraft interest they keep adding. Stopped using the account and with charges and interest has gone from -90 to -£2200. Been into branch to discuss a resolution as well as the usual letters. No result so far. and so to the latest issue...

I have a current account and several savings accounts, i removed all excess funds from them some months ago expecting issues. However this month i went £36 O/D on my personal current account. I have just received a letter telling me they have granted an informal overdraft etc for £750. In the same post a letter telling me i am £750 overdrawn. Yes, they gave an overdraft on my current account which i did not request for an item of £36 an overdraft of 750 then took the remaining £714 of the overdraft and transferred it without my knowledge to my business account to offset the huge charges they have applied since my dispute began.

Where do i stand, i know they can take money from accounts (pretty sure though it wasnt in my T&C's when i opened the accounts long long ago) but to give me an overdraft i never asked for and then take the money!??? what can i do, where do i stand?

Hoping for some help !!

The bank can do so under the right of set off, ie creditor balances against debit balances at the same bank.

Edited by yourbank
have offset in my head and its wrong terminology

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Unplanned/unarranged/informal overdraft, to me sounds like bank charges plain and simple.

Have you seen what has actually gone through that account?

Have you seen a bank statement either online or on paper?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Yes i have it all online, they gave an informal overdraft on my current account and same day took the money and put it in my business account. I have the letters they sent "granting " the overdraft i didnt ask for.

I don't see the point of HSBC doing this... you still owe £2200, just in different places, I don't see the advantage of them doing this. Open an account elsewhere, keep track of where the money has moved, its still made up of charges... when the claims get going again you will get it back.

You did well removing the excess money, all they have done is moved the alleged debt from one place to another.

The banks right to set off applies to funds you have available in other accounts it doesn't mean they can create an overdraft and use those funds to pay off another account :rolleyes:

I would wait until you have the statements proving what they have done and write to the FOS to complain.

As Crusher has said all they are doing is moving their debt around which will complicate any claim to refund penalty charges because you will have to prove the money trail through all of your accounts this will mean mixing business accounts and personal accounts in the same claim too.

pete

this will mean mixing business accounts and personal accounts in the same claim too.

pete

good point.

these charges were raised from a business account, but now reside in a personal account.

Yep, I think the new overdraft is wrong, and make a complaint, but I wonder whether the 700 odd quid has now become easier to reclaim ;)

I'd be inclined to send them a (recorede delivery) letter complaining about their unauthorised mixing of the Business Account with the Personal Account -ask them to re-instate the funds to where they were - there's no way this can be justified.

Send a copy to the FOS to start their ball rolling and let HSBC know you've done it - :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

I don't think so because the charges were made against the business account not the personal account, its just a debt in the personal account and will only complicate the reclaim process :rolleyes:

pete

possibly pete.

but I'd be tempted to have a go when the claims start rolling again, a couple of letters wouldn't harm... we all know what DG are like :rolleyes:

It is quite improper for them to do this though... especially with this mixing of personal and business monies, I think a complaint would be prudent, and really that money should go back where it came from.

but I'd be tempted to have a go when the claims start rolling again

Hi Crusher, :) any reason to wait till the claims start rolling again? Maybe an immediate complaint to FOS, who are apparently taking a while to answer these days anyway, would precipitate an adjustment of the account.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I think Crush was referring to the common law problems the test case threw up for business claims :rolleyes: but thats under review by people here anyway and I think they have a way forward :).

As for complaints and this case in particular I think the bank have over stepped the mark and a complaint should be sent immediately

pete

I think Crush was referring to the common law problems the test case threw up for business claims rolleyes.gif but thats under review by people here anyway and I think they have a way forward smile.gif.
indeed I was, but you are quite correct CB, I think we do have a way forward, but its not going to be as easy as it was before.

Thanks guys, something to think about - am going to get paper copies of everything for tomorrow to show the trail. Am also going to the branch to see what they have to say. Is there a decent template for a complaint to FOS?

Hello sheepshead,

Try this link it should give you all you need :

our complaints procedure and how to complain

As for complaints and this case in particular I think the bank have over stepped the mark and a complaint should be sent immediately

I couldn't agree more pete.......:)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Just a thought, sheepshead, the bank mixing Personal and Business finance is not going to go down well with the taxman ;)........ maybe that's a lever if you're in the bank to get them to put this back the way it was.....they have interfered with your business income & expenditure figures...

Nemo me impune lacessit

indeed I was, but you are quite correct CB, I think we do have a way forward, but its not going to be as easy as it was before.

Ive asked Steven to have a look at this thread, I think this case lends itself to the new business claim particulars.

pete

ok well thats where it gets a bit confusing but as such all of it. All of the amount is their overdraft charges and interest. Of course, what concerns me is that the interest is higher than the court rate of 8%, but it all relates to them charging me and then charging interest. Am happy to upload copies of the blanked out statements or a schedule of charges and the letters received from them if it helps.