style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5777 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya

I have had a browse back but couldn't see any threads similar for advise so appologise if I've missed some.

A couple of friends have just moved into a new build rented house of which the boiler has stopped working for some weeks (not sure at this stage of how long but has been at least a couple of wks) and is not providing any heat, which although is not desperate giving or current climate would be nice.

Luckily they have a back up boiler for hot water.

The landlord says its under guarantee and should be repaired under that, however, it has still not been reported by the LL as needing fixed.

What I would like to know is what is their position in this situation and who should they deal with the LL or the Agency.

They don't have access to tinternet yet so am doing this on their behalf.

Many thanks

Why has the landlord not reported it? Who is managing the property - landlord or agent/

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Thanks for the quick response Mr Shed.

As it is freinds I dont have that much detail at the mo but can get more tomorrow. Just sounds like lack of response to contact by the LL manana syndrome.

I know that they got the let through the agency, so they are confused as to who needs to sort out the problem, I will need to check tomorrow who is managing the property.

Thanks

The property is technically not fit for human habitation without adequate heating provision. I would be inclined to write to the landlord, stating that due to the timescale thus far taken, you require the repair to be completed by xxx date (I would suggest a date 4 days from the date of posting the letter first class). Failure to do so will result in you(i.e. your friends) getting three estimates for the work, performing one, and sending the estimates to the landlord and deducting the cost from rent payable. In addition, as the property is not fit for habitation, you will further be deducting 50% of the rent payable over the timescale during which heating was unavailable.

Tweak to your leisure - if your friends want to stay for a while, then I would recommend toning it down as otherwise they will be rapidly evicted at the end of the tenancy. That said, this timescale for heating is wholly unacceptable, only alleviated due to the current climate.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!