Not as described

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5770 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

I am not sure if this is the right place for this but recently I purchased an amp from ebay under the guise that it had an output of 3200watts, when the am arrived it isnt even 1000watts.

Upon complaint to the company (hifi-tower) they have offered my money back but I am not willing to allow them to rip off other less clued up customers about how to check amps powers etc.

I raised an action through paypal and ebay and they cancelled it stating that as a refund was offered it had been dealt with.

Is there any way I can follow this up.

Thanks

don't know about ebay procedures, but I do think you are going about this the wrong way. If they have offered a refund, there is little more you yourself are entitled to.

You could of course obtain the refund and then notify the authorities, but can you say for certain that this is not a one-off (which in itself does not excuse what has happened but it is certainly far from criminal)?

All I am trying to say is don't cut off your nose to spite your face or whatever the saying is.

hi, you seem to have done all you can really but you can watch out for this members other items that they are selling and if they have the same item on again stating the same info, you can report it to ebay straight away for item not as described etc, good luck! this is not on!!

You should be able to leave a negative feedback alerting others to this seller.

Can I ask what the explanantion was from the seller? Was it a simple mistake and he sent you the wrong AMP?

EDIT:- I have checked his feedback and it looks as if he sent you the wrong one by mistake. I think it very unfair to leave a negative when he refunded you in full. (Unless there is more to it)

Edited by freakyleaky

I had a recent problem with a bed. It was a spare bed in excellent nick, I checked it and packed it up for the buyer to pick up. Buyer arrived in a small car with 4 small kids!!hey, not my prob! but they did say that one of the kids had wrecked theirs so they needed it for that night!!it was stuffed in-with the kids on top!!A week later they asked for a refund saying it was broke!!!I politely refused, after a barage of email, they said they were going to report me!!!I immediately informed ebay myself, sending all the mail I had received and the circumstances, I have not heard anything since! Spose they looked at my honest feedback?! There are some unfair people out there which try to spoil everything eh!?

Prsonally I would have pressed for an amp of the specified output to be supplied.

Reminds me of the time I bought a dress ring for my wife. The jeweller described it as a second-hand aquamarine ring. It wasn't it was glass. He offered a refund which I declined and insisted he replaced the glass with an aquamarine of comparable size. The price paid was irrelevant, the description was everything.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Hi freaky leaky, that one is not about me, I am the one who states clearly that it is not 3200watt

I measured the amps wattage by coupling it to a speaker out put of 5000w, then turn it up, the amp cut out at a very low volume so i tried 3000w speakers the same happened again, so i continued to change the output power until it was 750w before it was running properly.

iconNeg_16x16.gif

not 3200w, not even 1000w completely misleading, trading standards investigatingBuyer:

17-Jun-08 18:16iconFdbkCnvrsB_20x20.gif

• Reply by hifi-tower (17-Jun-08 18:25):

We just talked to you and cleared the return, so why neg feedback?We helped you!
    • Follow-up by m********** (17-Jul-08 18:07):

You didnt help me, you sold an amp that is not as described, hence negative

Was this one not you then? Apologies if I got it wrong but this is the one I assumed was you as it specifically states not 3200w.

Yes sorry my bad, that is the mine, I thought you ment the other ones for the same amp :(

Sorry mate, carry on

They just sell these amps with the wrong description on them to get you to buy them and if you dont know what 3200watts should sound like then they get your cash for a sub standard piece of kit

Its all very shady:)

As I found out of old 3200watts is a meaningless description is it not an absolute arbiter of power. I've forgotten much of my school physics but any wattage has to be qualified, as the output also depends on the rating of the speakers attached. If you purchased the item without speakers, then the output you would get can only be guessed.

If the description was 3000w RMS, then that figure IS quantified and can be measures as such. The actual output wattage depends on many thins, the speaker, its rating, whether sustained or peak. The fact you got a refund offer is excellent. I'd take it and move on.

I'm rather glad the OP is unable to obtain 3000 watts RMS. I'd like the glass to stay in my windows and the tiles on my roof should he drive past my house :eek: Ridiculous amounts of sound power to be used in a car (or a house, unless detached in the middle of nowhere)