• Tweets

• The important thing to know is that MET - although they will send you threat after threat about how they will divert a drone from Ukraine and make it fall on your home - hardly ever do court. Even in the very small number of cases where they send court papers, if the Cagger defends, they drop the matter before the hearing.  They have no real intention of putting their rubbish claim before a judge.  The aim is to find motorists who are terrified of the idea of going to court and who will give in when the court papers arrive. Thanks for doing the sticky and well done on finding F18's thread.  Do what they did.  On the first page - I think post 19 - there is the address of the CEO of BP.  Write to them, lay it on thick about being genuine customers in the various premises, mention the small kids, the very short stay time, attach any proof of purchase - and request that they get the invoice cancelled.
    • Thank you for that, I have obviously already been convicted so I think the appeal lodged is for the previous offence? Sorry if that doesn’t make sense. I suppose my only concern is that weds I go there and they don’t let a stat dec happen. If they do then as you say and solicitor says it’s highly likely I’ll be happy with the outcome. But I’m being told there’s no guarantee for the stat dec to be hard Weds as that’s not what the hearing is proposed for. Solicitor has stated that you can put a stat dec before a magistrates at any time so it shouldn’t be a problem.   
    • I re-read the extract from your  solicitor's letter this morning and think I might understand what they have in mind. I believe (and it’s only a guess) their strategy is this: 1.    You will make your SD 2.    You will enter fresh pleas to the four charges (not guilty) but will offer to plead guilty to speeding on the understanding that the FtP charges are dropped. 3.    If this is accepted they will attempt to argue that the two offences were committed “on the same occasion” 4.    You will be sentenced for those two offences (the sentence depending on whether the “same occasion” argument succeeds). They also have a plan in the event that your offer at (2) is unsuccessful and you are convicted again of the 2xFtP charges (and so face disqualification under “totting up”): 5.    They will make an “exceptional hardship” argument to avoid a ban. 6.    If that is unsuccessful they have already lodged an appeal in the Crown Court against that decision. (This is the only “appeal” I can think of). 7.    They plan to ask the court to suspend your ban pending that appeal. If I’m correct, I’m surprised the Crown Court has agreed to accept a speculative appeal (against something that hasn’t happened). The solicitor says this is to lodge it within the normal timescales. But you will have 21 days from the date of your conviction (which will be next Wednesday) to lodge an appeal with the Crown Court, so there is no need for a speculative appeal. I have to say that an application to have your ban suspended pending an appeal is unlikely to succeed. The Magistrates Court is unlikely to agree to it for one very good reason: if they make such an order (suspending your ban until your appeal is heard), all you need to do is not to pursue the appeal and the Magistrates order suspending your ban will remain in place. Hey Presto! No ban and no need for you to trouble with an appeal. Perhaps he will ask for your ban to be suspended for (say) three months or until your appeal is heard (whichever occurs first). This potentially creates a problem because if your appeal is not heard in that time either your ban will kick in or you will have o go back to court to get the suspension extended. But the solicitor obviously knows more about these things than I do. I would want to be very clear about this solicitor’s fees and what he proposes to charge you for. As I said, there is absolutely no need to lodge an appeal with the Crown Court. That can be done if and when it becomes required. But I am still firmly of the opinion that it is overwhelmingly likely that you will not need to progress beyond point 2 above. Point 3 is optional and I don’t know whether he solicitor has made It clear to you that the only thing you will avoid in the event of success is three penalty points. You will still be fined for the second offence and your driving record will still be endorsed with the details, but no penalty points will be imposed. Do let us know how it goes.  
    • I'm really trying, but worst case I can't find what are my options?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Annalh v Egg/DLA/Eversheds ** Judgement given by court **

ANNALH
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6253 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya - I'm new-ish and hope I'm on the right thread. I'm being hounded by Eversheds for an Egg loan (5 figures). I've CCA'd them, they've signed for the CCA but obviously there is not a lot of communication between them and the relevant department. I rec'd a deliberately embarrassing (i.e., obvious) post card yesterday, informing me that one of their 'agents' would be calling in 48 hours. I called and spoke with the ever unpleasant 'Michelle' and explained that the account was officially in dispute. I then faxed her the CCA letter - which also states that any further telephone contact from them is illegal and actionable by law. In the fax, I also included any visits from their 'agents' in the latter!

I understand that there are few to nil examples of 'executed agreements', as requested in the CCA. Let me know how you get on and I will also keep you posted!

Cristal, if unpleasant visitor decides to invite himself in defiance of the law, suggest you take a camera photo of him, note down his car licence plate, and insist he shows his ID, from which you would record his name.

Debt collectors are licensed by the OFT, they can also be unlicensed by the OFT, and Debt collector Company Secretary will personally answer in law for the actions of his employees. a £2 search on www.companieshouse.gov will provide name and address of the Company Secretary.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a letter from Eversheds this morning to say they WILL be attending the hearing on Tuesday! - and after they have already made me 2 offers???

Surely they cannot expect the judge to take them seriously?

ANNALH,

the bloodsuckers are always trying to bamboozle, initimidate, and bluff holding a hand of deuce and trey, hoping the victim caves in so they score a bloodless win. Their other routine tactic is for an improvising employee to dart out to try land an outrageous blow on the customer, then for him to scuttle back to hide anonymously behind the walls of an institution. Suggest you immediately send a letter addressed to the Company Secretarys of both Egg and DLA by name, stating:

(1) That as you have never signed a confidentiality clause you intend to make the fullest details available to the press and TV if necessary, naming all individuals on their side.

(2) That acts designed to retaliate against customers who seek lawful redress will be reported with fullest details to the Banking Ombudsman, who has repeatedly dished out reprimands and fines to financial institutions guilty of this offence.

(3) That DLA be reminded they continue to stay in business only so long as they continue to observe the code and conduct and hold a licence from the OFT, and that you request DLA to furnish you with their OFT licence number, if it is not printed on their company stationery.

It is not Egg vs ANNALH,

it is Egg vs the law of England.

I contacted Eversheds to see if they would be attending court and they basically said they will be attending to defend, and they emailed me a copy of the witness statement they will be using in court.

They also said they are applying for summary judgement against me on the basis that my claim stands no chance of winning. Cheeky buggars!

I reminded them that the judge will not look too kindly on them making 2 offers and then withdrawing them after i queried the amounts.

Incidentally i signed their tomlin order a couple of days ago even though it was after the 14 days they gave me to accept, because i told them the figures were wrong and asked for a breakdown of what they were offering - they never replied.

I thought sod it its not far off so i signed the agreement and returned it now they are saying i am out of time. Well looks like court it is then.

CLAIMANT

Dated: 12th March 2007

Filed: 12th March 2007

Exhibits: RAM1

RAM2

RAM3

KIDDERMINSTER COUNTY COURT

CLAIM NUMBER:

BETWEEN:

Claimant

-and-

EGG BANKING PLC

Defendant

WITNESS STATEMENT

OF

I, of Eversheds LLP, 1 Callaghan Square, Cardiff, CF10 5BT state as follows :-

I am a Legal Assistant in the employment of Eversheds LLP, solicitors for the Defendant, and under the supervision of my principals, have conduct of these proceedings. I am duly authorised by the Defendant to make this Witness Statement on its behalf and am able to state the facts set out from information acquired by me whilst acting in my aforementioned capacity.

I refer to the exhibits marked ‘RAM1’, ‘RAM2’ and ‘RAM3’ which contains copy documents to which I will refer to in my statement. References to page numbers will be references to the Exhibits unless the context suggests otherwise.

BACKGROUND

The Claimant and Mr x entered into an Egg Joint Loan Agreement with the Defendant on 4 October 1999 (the “Agreement”). I attach a copy of the Agreement together with the Defendant’s standard Terms and Conditions (the “Terms and Conditions”), marked as RAM1.

Under section 3 of the Terms and Conditions of the Loan Agreement (“The Terms and Conditions”) states:

“We may also charge you for any costs and expenses we incur, including our administrative costs and legal costs and expenses, in obtaining payment of any overdue amount….”

A copy of the Terms and Conditions was supplied to the Borrowers at the commencement of the Loan Agreement, and on signing the Loan Agreement the Claimant confirmed that she had read and agreed to, the Terms and Conditions.

The Borrowers have on numerous occasions failed to make the monthly payments. A copy of the Statement of Account is marked as RAM2.

DLA were instructed on 28th March 2001 to recover the arrears resulting from multiple missed payments. The charges invoiced to Egg by DLA were added to the Loan accordingly. A copy of the charges from DLA is marked as RAM3.

On 29 August 2006 the Claimant issued proceedings against the Defendant for the recovery of the debt collection agency charges upon the basis that the charges are “a disproportionate penalty”.

The Defendant is of the view that the Claim relates to DLA’s legal costs alone and not any further default charges.

It is denied that the charges are “a disproportionate penalty” as alleged. The charges represent the actual cost to Egg of attempting to enforce the Agreement and recover the debt , as evidenced by exhibit ‘RAM3’. The Claimant clearly agreed to the Terms and Conditions allowing the Defendant to recover such charges, in entering into the Loan Agreement.

ACCOUNT DETAILS

The Claimant’s Loan Agreement with the Defendant is ongoing and has an outstanding balance of £2,670.14.

THE DEFENDANT’S POSITION

The Defendant is not willing to refund the charges to the Claimant as the Agreement clearly provided that the Defendant may recover its enforcement costs. Further, there is no issue of the charges constituting penalties as the debt collection agency fees represent the actual costs for which the Defendant was invoiced.

CONCLUSION

11. In view of the above the Defendant respectfully requests that the Court give Summary Judgement in favour of the Defendant further to CPR 24.2 upon the basis that there is no reasonable prospect of the Claim succeeding. And there is no other compelling reason why the Claim should be disposed of at trial. In the alternative, the Defendant requests that the Court exercise its power under CPR 3.4 and strikes out the Claim upon the basis that the Particulars of Claim discloses no reasonable grounds for bringing the Claim.

Signed…………………………………….…….

Rebecca Anne McIntosh

Date……..……………………………………..

CLAIM NUMBER: 6QZ58442

BETWEEN:

Claimant

-and-

EGG BANKING PLC

Defendant

EXHIBIT RAM1 TO THE WITNESS STATEMENT

OR

BETWEEN:

Claimant

-and-

EGG BANKING PLC

Defendant

EXHIBIT RAM1 TO THE WITNESS STATEMENT

O

CLAIM NUMBER:

BETWEEN:

Claimant

-and-

EGG BANKING PLC

Defendant

EXHIBIT RAM2 TO THE WITNESS STATEMENT

OR REBECCA ANNE MCINTOSH

BETWEEN:

Claimant

-and-

EGG BANKING PLC

Defendant

EXHIBIT RAM3 TO THE WITNESS STATEMENT

OR REBECCA ANNE MCINTOSH

IN THE KIDDERMINSTER COUNTY COURT

CLAIM NUMBER:

B E T W E E N :

Claimant

-and-

EGG BANKING PLC

Defendant

WITNESS STATEMENT

MESSRS EVERSHEDS

1 CALLAGHAN SQUARE

CARDIFF

CF10 5GY

Solicitors for the Claimant

Cristal, if unpleasant visitor decides to invite himself in defiance of the law, suggest you take a camera photo of him, note down his car licence plate, and insist he shows his ID, from which you would record his name.

Debt collectors are licensed by the OFT, they can also be unlicensed by the OFT, and Debt collector Company Secretary will personally answer in law for the actions of his employees. a £2 search on www.companieshouse.gov will provide name and address of the Company Secretary.

Not sure if you can help and I've been all over this site to find a definition of 'executed agreement' that I can actually absorb. Egg sent me an agreement that is 2 pages, signed by me and Egg, headed by the Credit Agreement regulated by the CCA 1974....which incorparates the Persoanl Loan Agreement T&C supplied to you with your copy of this agreement.... blah, blah. It includes my name & address, agreement number, interest rate, APR, No. of monthly payments, payable by. 2nd page: 'important, read your rights, blah, blah', when the money will be paid into my acc't, my signature under 'this Credit Agreement blah, blah,' and then signed on behalf of Egg banking. No separate T&C. Can anyone confirm it they've rec'd anything from Egg like this and is it legit?

CLAIMANT

Annalh - just writing to say what a drag and I hope they bottle out before court. I hope they're very sorry if they do decide to proceed. I'm dealing with Eversheds on an Egg debt and they are fairly hideous - not even sure if the 'agreement' Egg sent me (described above) complies with the CCA regulations. And Eversheds is also on another debt of mine. I shall be watching your progress and am hoping and wishing the very best for you. Hang tough.

Anna and Cristal,

If Egg wishes to make out their case is a won game all over bar the shouting, do ask Egg ever so politely to explain why they abandoned their winning position and ran for the hills, in the 21 cases listed in V-E Day thread, quoting chapter and verse with some court case numbers.

All claimants agree they were in the wrong when they failed to make the minimum payment on time. However the agreement they signed with Egg cannot override the law of England. Any unlawful terms in the contract, signed or not, remains null and void in the eyes of the law.

If a cardholder were terminally ill, and signs an agreement with Egg for Egg to perform mercy killing and so put her out of her pain, such an agreement is in breach of English law and has no legal validity. Following the fatal act, despite the signed agreement Egg will be hauled into court facing a murder charge. Any bank which employs 6-figures-salary lawyers to vet the wording of their contracts, which then knowingly invites the unknowing public being laymen before the law, to sign such an unlawful agreement, has demonstrated contempt for the law of England.

Where a late-paying cardholder causes Egg inconvenience, natural justice would expect SOME compensation to be paid. Egg however, is expecting unnatural injustice.

Compensation needs to be tailored to fit the cost of the inconvenience caused, as clearly established in the Dunlop case of 1911. Egg doggedly refuses to reveal in evidence:

Itemised analysis of their expenses incurred,

Total number of punitive charges levied.

I have read that many times Egg threatened to go into court, but most times they took french leave at the last minute. Just brinkmanship, intending to work on the victim's nerves so she caves in for a quiet life.

I gather only once did Egg show up in court, in Oxford on 21st November 2006. They lost their case, paying the claimant's legal expenses and refunding the charges. The judge ordered a reduction of charges from £20 to a compromise figure of £5 a time. In the Oxford hearing the claimant who happened to be a lawyer produced evidence of studies from Australia showing that expenses incurred by automated IT systems handling late payments and overlimit situations amounted variously from 50 pence to £3 per item, not £20! Let appear to be no UK figures available. What figures they banks have, they hide.

Dear Cristal,

Not to be initimidated by debt collectors who are probably on piece work, individuals being paid a bonus percentage of what they can browbeat and squeeze out of victims improvising tactics on the day. By all means obtain the name and address of the Company Secretary before the promised visit, and make it clear you hold the C.S. personally responsible in law and before the OFT Licensing Committee, for the behaviour of his proxies. It is not Eversheds v Cristal, it is Eversheds v the majesty of the law.

The law stands with you, and Forum members wish you well.

Endless thanks, Mistermind! This is a v. sophisticated thread and will take a long time for me to fully appreciate it. I admit I am dazzled by the info here. I must invest in a scanner so I can post my Egg Loan agreement for the expert opinions available here. The Egg agreement looks terribly official but I've just noticed it lacks any reference to 'cancellation rights'. It also refers to separate T&C form, tho it does refer to it. It's a minefield!!!

Thank your for your inspiring vote of confidence. I hope Annalh uses your advice and takes Egg to the cleaners! Cx

Well i phoned court this morning and they said the judge has had your letter requesting adjournment but hasnt made a decision yet. You better come to the hearing and see what she says.

So I went to court at 2pm, defendants solicitor was already there, he introduced himself and then asked if we could have a chat. The usher took us to a private room and we discussed the basis of my claim for 20 minutes, during which time he told me he was instructed NOT to settle.

I told him i only had their witness statement last night and none of the exhibits were attached. He showed me what they were and then went off to photocopy them for me. I said if he explains what RAM3 was as i hadnt seen it before i would go ahead with the hearing.

Apparently 'RAM3' Karn was DLA's account to Egg (a list of all invoices they charged egg) and their 'time sheet' which 'proves' they spent x amount of time on my file and charged egg for such time.

I told the judge that they only told me some of the charges were in fact legal costs very recently so i did not have time to prepare my answers to this.

She was very understanding and we went through what egg could 'prove', which turned out to be only 6 items on my schedule of charges, unfortunately they were the larger amounts.

The Judge then said well as Egg cant prove all the other charges and have no idea what they were added on for, i will award you judgement on these.

Then we spent the next hour and a half discussing whether the 'legal costs' were in fact incurred and whether egg was entitled to recoup them from me. I disputed that i didnt receive many letters from them (including notice of default) so i was not happy that they had spent all the time they said they had on my file.

The Judge agreed with Egg's point that the t&c's I signed said egg were entitled to charge me such costs etc, so basically that was the reason she wouldnt let me reclaim those. Which is fair enough now that i know what they are!

I pointed out several times that i have asked Egg many times to explain what all the charges were, and the judge said yes as you have provided them with a full breakdown there is no reason why they shouldnt have given you an answer.

The rest of it was a blur pretty much as i had earrache throughout and was keen to get back to work before my boss threw a fit. I was there for 2 hours 15 mins in the end.

Egg now have to pay me £945, which is made up of £743 charges, £170 court fees and £32 interest.

They have 14 days to pay, so i am assuming they will deduct this from my balance and then i will settle the account and finally see the back of Egg!

A very good result under the circumstances.

And i didnt even need to argue whether they were unfair penalties or not! I did mention it but it turned out to be irrelevant as Egg didnt even know whether they were legal costs or penalty fees or what! They admitted their records are a bit slack and the Judge said I did what i thought was right with the information I had.

Congratulations Anna. Good result.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Guest ian cognito

Well done Anna, I was checking in at work all afternoon, no comments, got home and no internet, finally got it back on and database errors!!!

Anyway, now I know the result, really pleased for you xx

Hi Annalh!

Very Good News Indeed-

I know just how you must have felt at the hearing...been there, done that, got the T shirt.

However, praise is the order of the day for you:)

Just goes to show that if one is courageous and stick to ones convictions in exercising your Rights, it is amazing what one can accomplish.

Lots of Love

AC

ps I hope that your earache has gone!

• 3 weeks later...

I have just realised that PPI was added onto this loan amount but i never had any docs for it - just checked the agreement with egg and it must have been something they added on over the phone because all we had to sign was the loan agreement, which had the PPI added on and the signature box says " I confrm i have read terms and conditions etc and have received PPI information". When i got into trouble after i was made redundant Egg never said "why dont you claim on the PPI insurance". I was young and naiive at the time and never even knew i had it until now. I didnt even know what PPI was until i read about it on this forum a few months ago. This was a loan i took out in October 1999, a bit hastily maybe and without really knowing what i was doing. Do you think I can get the PPI back?

As it was arranged over the phone im not sure if they added it on without telling me or if they told me i had to have it in order to have the loan - which would be my safest argument??