Wanting to move from benefits to self employed work?

wemfish
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5804 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having given up work a few years ago to look after my disabled wife, who was very ill at the time but has now improved I want to get back to work. Being a plumber, I want to work self employed as it will allow me some flexibility so I continue to look after my disabled wife and son - But, I cannot afford to come straight off benefits and I will not be able to work full time in the foreseeable future. So, how do things work out in our situation?

I don't want to turn up at the local benefits office without a good idea of what will happen and of my rights.

Is there some kind of plan where I can declare my earnings each week and the benefits are adjusted accordingly and will they make allowances for expenses?

We are on benefits, including;

1 - Income support

2 - Housing (and council tax) benefit

3 - Child benefit

4 - Carers allowance

5 - Disability living allowance X 2

I assume that the first two will be affected differently to the rest?

Thank you for any helpful information.

You are entitled to quite a lot wemfish.

In your area will be a business advice center that you should contact.

This is for the one in the Westcountry and Plymouth, have a look and then find the one where you live. They will put you right on all you need to know and even assist with you business plan and financial assistance.

Homepage - Business Link

As far as I remember you have to be claiming jobseekers to qualify for funding but the few months training you will get will not cost you a penny - they even have free tea and coffee.

I'm not sure how it affects your benefits, but you get a couple of hundred per month for the first twelve months in business.

Good luck to you, I hope you succeed.

• Haha 1

The calculation would be a very complicated one and I would suggest if you wish to return to work on a part time basis that you seek support from CAB for a calculation.

I noticed in your list of benefits that you did not have tax credits which carry a disability element. If you are not receiving these then this is something else you need to look in to.

If circumstances allow I would also look in to what benefits you could continue to receive and/or receive in addition or at an enhanced rate if you worked full time.

Settled Tribunal claim against employer regarding Disability Discrimination.

Recovered my money from an AXA Bonus Cash Builder Plus after discovering here on CAG that the original advertising was found to be misleading.

Cabot still can't provide a copy of Credit Agreement and have left me alone for about a year now.