British Gas Incompetence

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5831 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

I moved into a flat about 2 years ago and have been paying my usual direct debit every month to British Gas (albeit estimated)

Eventually they have managed to take an actual reading and worked out that I have not paid them enough over the last two years so my current outstanding balance is now £1000. What are my rights here? Can I ask them to spread the cost over the next 2 years since it has been there fault they have not read the meter? Am I within my right to ask for any kind of compensation for being slammed with such a hefty bill all because of their incompetence?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Andy

Have they ever attempted to read your meter? I would call and ask why they have not read your meter, it may be that they have tried but on the occassions they have you have not been in. Have you asked them? Im assuming you pay by direct debit so should have got a statement quarterly. If all your bills were estimated did you not think of giving them a reading? Afterall you could have been paying too much and would now be requesting a refund.

Clare

Yes I have tried giving them readings in the past but they had so many issues with their system registering the reading I just gave up in the end and assumed their vast knowledge of electricity usage would mean that my estimated bills were pretty much correct. I was obviously wrong.

The billing code would not apply in this case if they have sent bills, even if they are estimated. It would only apply if they had not attempted to bill him at all.

Why would their system not accept your readings? Are they reading the right meter?