Update on my claim and reply from bank manager.

odwyer1980
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6524 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Am I right in thinking part one of the procedure is to pen/type a letter to them asking for them to send you all the charges within 6 years? Is this your responsibility to ask yourself, in order to know precisely where you stand with regards to charges, or is there s template available for this procedure?

A simple answer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the site.

Yes the first letter you need to send is the Data Protection Act letter. You can find the template in the library. Under the Data Protection Act the bank then has 40 days to send you the information. You need to include a cheque for £10.

Hope this clears it up for you

Natalie

• Confused 1

If you find my post helpful please click on the scales at the top. Thank you

FAQ SECTION HERE

Halifax Bank Claim filed and settled

Halifax Credit Card settled

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

the £10.00 covers their costs,but you can claim it back later.

best to spend acouple of days reading through the FAQs after you do this.

Data Protection Act sent to Nationwide 19/05/06.

Statements received 24/06/06 - Charged £1,954.50 :eek:

Prelim letter sent to Charles Bacon 27/06/06 :)

Cannot refund letter from Sarah Watson 07/07/06 :rolleyes:

L.B.A. sent to Charles Bacon 18/07/2006 ;)

Claim deemed filed 30/08/2006 8)

* REFUND TIME * 15/09/2006 :p

*£1945.50 + £443.37 interest + £62.00 Court fees*

** DONATION MADE **

Because that's the absolute maximum an organisation can legally charge you for sending you your data under the Data Protection Act.

I urge you to have a REALLY GOOD READ around the FAQ (in red on the main forum list) and in the "Bank Template Library" you'll find all sorts of prepared templates to assist you in your claim. It'll take you a couple of days to get your head round it, but don't be distracted, it's worth it!! Make sure when you start your claim process, to post a thread in the forum for the institution you're claiming against to record your progress.

Cheers guys.

One last question, does the claim include Credit Cards as well?

For example, I have a credit card on my NatWest account and have been charged a bomb.

Can we request charges from our credit cards in the initial letter to them?

Or does this have to be done seperate - if at all?

I'll look at the FAQ, but can you provide an answer to this one before I do so?

Thanks again.

Personally I would keep Bank Accounts and credit cards separate as they're usually dealt with by separate commercial entities. So - one letter for all your bank accounts with Nat West, and one letter for all your Credit Cards with them. Initially send the DPA request to the Data Protection Officer, care of the address on your statements. The other letters (later) should be sent just to the address on your statement.

the £10.00 covers their costs,but you can claim it back later.

best to spend acouple of days reading through the FAQs after you do this.

As far as I am aware the £10 is not reclaimable.

When you pay the £10 you are actually paying for a service .... getting your information.

Stone Laughter - cheers.

When you send the £10, who do you make it payable to? Just your bank?

Also, you mention we have to request the charges for out credit card separately - does this mean we have to send £10 to them as well?

I don't quite understand this one?

If anyone can answer, thanks.

As far as I am aware the £10 is not reclaimable.

When you pay the £10 you are actually paying for a service .... getting your information.

I would be claiming it as part of my recovery costs (if they had charged it). It even says this in the DPA letter.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

Stone Laughter - cheers.

When you send the £10, who do you make it payable to? Just your bank?

Also, you mention we have to request the charges for out credit card separately - does this mean we have to send £10 to them as well?

I don't quite understand this one?

If anyone can answer, thanks.

Hi odwyer1980 and welcome to the site.

As StoneLaughter has already explained, you need to spend a good couple of days reading the FAQs thoroughly. You will find a step-by-step guide and lots of other information.

Everything you are asking is covered in the FAQs or elsewhere on the forums.

If you do have a question that is not answered, please post on here and we will help you.

Good luck!

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I would be claiming it as part of my recovery costs (if they had charged it). It even says this in the DPA letter.

I stand corrected! In my defence the DPA letter was different when I started my first claim, just seen it now, I am moving on to my next target :D

.......I think I really am missing a trick everyone!

I am at the very beginning of the process and cannot seem to even obtain a figure on the total amount they have charged me over the past 6 Years. Their lending division inform me they only hold these details in hard copy and nothing electronically!@$?!, apart from the past year which I may obtain free of charge in my bank. They have told me that they will charge me £5 per sheet on any re-printed statement!

Any tips on obtaining accurate figures on what they have carged over such a period?

OK, forget what they are telling you.

1. The Data Protection Act does NOT just refer to records on Computer. It refers to all records "in a relevant filing system".

2. Don't bother calling and speaking to people - they are ill-informed monkeys who don't know SQUAT about Data Protection and Consumer and Contract legislation.

3. Write to the Data Protection Officer at your bank's head office address, stating that you sent your Subject Access Request (DPA letter) on and you expect their obligations to be fulfilled by . No delays will be tolerated and failure to comply will be escalated into a formal complaint to the Information Commissioner's office, and possibly into County Court action under Section 7 of the Data Protection Act.

You'll either get your statements in time or you won't - if you don't, carry out your threats... and start a claim on an estimated value for the full six years, based upon the information you have in more recent statements, or claim only what you have information for and wait until you get your statements to claim the rest.

If you do get them, just carry on the process as normal.

I just realised; you haven't even sent a Subject Access Request letter yet, have you?

As has been repeatedly stated above, read the step-by-step guide in the FAQ and follow it!

If you don't, you don't only jeopardise your own claim; you prejudice the bank's view of anyone doing this and that could encourage them to be obstructive in EVERYONE's claims.

First Step: if you don't have statements for the past six years, SEND THE Subject Access Request letter, to the Data Protection Officer at the bank's head office address. Don't phone. Don't email. SEND THE LETTER.

They will send you statements. If they don't, see my post above.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick re-cap

I basically sent step one template claim letter (asking for all the fees I’ve been charged) off around a month ago after that programme aired. The day after my bank manager - who has never contacted me before, phoned me at home and asked for me to confirm a few things before saying it's ok, and he would pass the letter on.

I sent the £10 cheque as it stated I should.

Well, This morning I received a letter from my NatWest Bank offering me an increase in my overdraft. My previous overdraft was £400 now they’ve offered to increase it to £800.

Is this Routine? What does this say?

Has anyone else who banks with Natwest had such an offer?

It’s not exactly addressed the problem and they have not sent the fees like I requested in the step one letter.

I sent the letter after that programme aired last month. How long would I have to wait before they address the problem or even provide me with an answer, if at all?

What should my next step be?

Thanks

Quick re-cap

I basically sent step one template claim letter (asking for all the fees I’ve been charged) off around a month ago after that programme aired. The day after my bank manager - who has never contacted me before, phoned me at home and asked for me to confirm a few things before saying it's ok, and he would pass the letter on.

I sent the £10 cheque as it stated I should.

Well, This morning I received a letter from my NatWest Bank offering me an increase in my overdraft. My previous overdraft was £400 now they’ve offered to increase it to £800.

Is this Routine? What does this say?

Has anyone else who banks with NatWest had such an offer?

It’s not exactly addressed the problem and they have not sent the fees like I requested in the step one letter.

I sent the letter after that programme aired last month. How long would I have to wait before they address the problem or even provide me with an answer, if at all?

Thanks

Three threads merged - please stick to one thread!

As has been repeatedly stated above, read the step-by-step guide in the FAQ and follow it!

As above - if you had read the FAQs which has been advised to you over and over again you would not be asking these questions. You must be prepared to put in the groundwork yourself.

You may have been casual and mainly indifferent when the banks were taking your money. You cannot continue with the same attitude now you are trying to get it back.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Where exactly are the FAQ's that answer my questions. You don't make this easy, a forum is supposed to be so we can get help.

You merging threads and referring to the faq’s each time, complicate the process.

Haven’t been here since I sent the first letter, so I'm lost and need reminding of where to go.

Where are these faq's, that answer these question.

I’m in the Natwest forum and see no Faq's above.

Thanks

Assuming that the wording of the letter from NatWest is an "offer" to increase your overdraft, unless you actually want the increase I would suggest writing to the bank, and declining their offer.

I would then go on to clarify that the overdraft is comprised of penalty charges, and that a prompt and unconditional refund of the penalty charges should ensure that the requirement for a similar offer will not be necessary in the future...:)

See the steps I took to get my bank charges back.

Spiceskull v HSBC.

Thank you Consumer Action Group.

Read my blog.

Collage001.gif

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.