Ace Cards and Gifts Mail Order Co.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well...

Recieved a call from Ace this morning - to say they intend to settle in full. They're planning to get the court forms sent off before close of business today - which is nice! :-)

I will however, pop back on here to confirm they've paid up... but for now...

WOOHOO!!

NatWest Visa - recieved a letter from court wanting more info re what sections of several law things im using to claim back the money - got to reply by 13th! still no idea!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ace - £1300 - SETTLED IN FULL

Capital One - £200 - SETTLED IN FULL

JD Williams - £400 - SETTLED IN FULL

Littlwoods - £2700- SETTLED IN FULL

NATWEST - £2703.33 - SETTLED IN FULL

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done you......:D

I'm currently going through a similar thing with Ace, although the account is in my wifes name. It's good to see that someone in a similar situation has managed to get their charges refunded.

My biggest concern was this payment protection thing. They charged it a few times to the account a few years ago, but each time we noticed it on the statement we phoned up and complained and the charge was taken off.

Then all of a sudden after about 18 months it was back on the statements again, only this time phoning them up didn't get anywhere. They told us to put our complaint in writing, we did, but the charges kept coming.

To cut a long story short, we said 'Take the charges off, or we're not paying you anymore'. They didn't, so we stopped paying.

That was quite a while ago now, then a couple of weeks ago we received a letter from a DCA called Wescot Credit Services saying we owe £588, and if we didn't make an agreement to pay then they would add on another £150.

Thing is when all this went into dispute we owed Ace less than £100, and if you take away the payment protection that they shouldn't have charged us for then it's less than £60.

I'm still trying to get somewhere with this, but have just this weekend sent Wescot a letter disputing the total debt.

Hiya Buster

Over £600 of the money they just paid back to me was Payment protection charges. I simply pointed out in my particulars of claim that it had always been an optional service and that I'd never opted in! I too sent several lettersd to get it removed - to no avail. The lady on the phone yesterday said they wouldn't pay them back because they never recieved my letter. When I pointed out I believe that one could have got lost in the post but not all of them, she disappeared and called me back saying OK we'll pay.

I'm unsure from your message as to if you've started legal action against them. If not... then go for it. But you need to point out in your particulars that you never opted in for the payment protection - also make a note in there of the balance before the dispute started making it rise so high.

I wish you all the luck in the world. This company lost my respect a long long time ago.

NatWest Visa - recieved a letter from court wanting more info re what sections of several law things im using to claim back the money - got to reply by 13th! still no idea!!!!!

jellybabe - how is your claim going for reimbursement of the PPP charges?

Hiya Buster

Over £600 of the money they just paid back to me was Payment protection charges. I simply pointed out in my particulars of claim that it had always been an optional service and that I'd never opted in! I too sent several lettersd to get it removed - to no avail. The lady on the phone yesterday said they wouldn't pay them back because they never recieved my letter. When I pointed out I believe that one could have got lost in the post but not all of them, she disappeared and called me back saying OK we'll pay.

I'm unsure from your message as to if you've started legal action against them. If not... then go for it. But you need to point out in your particulars that you never opted in for the payment protection - also make a note in there of the balance before the dispute started making it rise so high.

I wish you all the luck in the world. This company lost my respect a long long time ago.

Hi Nita, thanks for your reply.

No I've not started any legal action yet. I'm just waiting now to see where the last letter I sent will get me. They signed for receiving it on Monday, so I'll just have to wait and see.

I have pointed out that we never opted into this payment protection plan, and informed them that if we'd opted in, then they should provide us with evidence to support this. Obviously they can't, so we'll wait and see.

The last letter I sent was a request for a copy the CCA, I'm not sure if that was the best thing to do but thought, hey what the heck. Thing is I'm going away on Sunday for two and half weeks so nothing will proberbly move forward until I get home.

Buster -

You're right - they SHOULD be able to provide you with proof. The annoying thing is, when I first contacted them about it, I was informed I'd agreed to it over the phone (I hadn't, ovbiously, or they would have some kind of proof) The thing is, they SHOULD send a letter to confirm they've put you on the PPP plan. They failed to do this, hence them having to pay up I guess. Have a good holiday - and I'll look forward to hearing what's happened with regards to this when you get home.

Jellybabe - As I understand it, your original claim was settled. So a new LBA was probably the best thing to do. And as they know you're willing to go as far as court... I guess they should back down pretty quickly. They pushed me around loads until I filed at court, only now it seems they would have paid up eventually anyway. You just have to be prepared for a fight. Personally I have nothing to lose... and everything to gain! Again - Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance a mod could change this title to WON?

Hi

Just received my statements from ACE this morning. I have noticed nearly each month they have added Admin charges - of £10.00 and service charges Can I claim for both these? :confused:

Kendraflo:confused:

Halifax - S.A.R 8/9/06 - Overdraft facility removed 21/9/06 - threat to close account - Default Notice lodged 06.10.06

Mint - S.A.R - 8/9/06 - Statements received 03.10.06 - Prelim letter sent for £268.13 03.10.06

First Direct - S.A.R 8/9/06 - Statements received 21/9/06 - Prelim letter sent 21/9/06 for £410.00 - settled in full

First Direct - S.A.R 21/9/06 - for husband's old account

Barclaycard - S.A.R 8/9/06 - Statements received 16/9/06 - Prelim letter 18/9/06 for £496.25 - Part offer received 22/9/06 for £228.00 - Rejection letter sent 25/9/06 - MCOL issued 8.10.06

MBNA - S.A.R 8/9/06 - Partial offer received 6/10/06 - full offer & interest received on 6.10.06

ACE CARDS & GIFTS - S.A.R - 19/9/06 - statements received -27th September - vouchers received in settlement - 4th October 2006 - £235.00

Natweststaffmember - thank you. :-)

Jellybabe - That's great - does this mean you've got back everything they owed you?

Kendraflo - It seems odd that they only charged you £10 admin charges, when mine and others have ranged from £12.50 to £25 over the past 6 years. Still - Admin charges are claimable. The service charges on Ace's accounts is basically the interest. You can claim back only the interest on the charge. If you have any trouble working this out, let me know.

Hi xoxnitaxox

The admin charge ranges from £10.00 to the highest at £20.00. Some of the service charges are high too, the highest being £20.16. Can you tell me how I work out what is the interest on the charge?

Thanks

Halifax - S.A.R 8/9/06 - Overdraft facility removed 21/9/06 - threat to close account - Default Notice lodged 06.10.06

Mint - S.A.R - 8/9/06 - Statements received 03.10.06 - Prelim letter sent for £268.13 03.10.06

First Direct - S.A.R 8/9/06 - Statements received 21/9/06 - Prelim letter sent 21/9/06 for £410.00 - settled in full

Barclaycard - S.A.R 8/9/06 - Statements received 16/9/06 - Prelim letter 18/9/06 for £496.25 - Part offer received 22/9/06 for £228.00 - Rejection letter sent 25/9/06 - MCOL issued 8.10.06

MBNA - S.A.R 8/9/06 - Partial offer received 6/10/06 - full offer & interest received on 6.10.06

ACE CARDS & GIFTS - S.A.R - 19/9/06 - statements received -27th September - vouchers received in settlement - 4th October 2006 - £235.00

kendraflo - find out what interest rate your charged. It will be in the catalogue (back pages) or if your lucky you may find it on their website. I couldn't but still :-)

jellybabe - that's fab :-) They paid up relativly easy in the end... why I had to go so far as to file at court I don't know.

Hi

Thanks for the information. I did pay the rate of 39.8%. How do I work out the interest? Can anyone help me?

Hi Jellybabe, Thanks for that.

I have checked on an old Statement also and I have been paying 39.8% - do you know how I work out the interest. Any help would be most greatly appreciated.:-)

Hiya,

you find a spreadsheet in the template library here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/

Download it and fill all your charges and interest in and it will calculate it for you.But DON'T mention the 8% interest in your prelim letter yet. That is not until you file at court. It's the other interest on charges you are interested in for now.

Hi Jellybabe

I know I may sound dense but is it right I can only claim for Admin charges and not the service charge? Also when I look at the spreadsheet, it calculates the interest at 8%, it this what I send? I don't know whether to claim interest or not, it is so confusing:confused: :confused:

when you open the spreadsheet, at the bottom you see 3 tabs. You are interested at the charges and interest one for the moment.

In the left columns you enter your charges (date,description and charges amount). Then at the right you enter the interest you got charged in the same way. that should work the interest relating to your charges out itself.

The service charge is the interest...it's just another name for it.

You enter that on the right column as explained above.

Not sure how you go about claiming the 39.8%, you might be better asking someone else about that.I had only claimed the 8% of Studio, and don't want to give any wrong advice on that one.

jellybabe - did you only get back 8% off studio? or 8% plus their interest? If you just claimed the 8% you've probably done yourself out of a fair amount of money :-(

kendraflo - the spreadsheet jellybabe sent you to is what i used - only modified. the 39.8% is 0.0011 in excel.

sorry, i made a slight mistake in my last post.mind boggling.lol

I got the charges and the interest on it back of them. Because i didn't get to file my claim i didn't get the 8%.

I started that claim before i even heard of claiming the contractual rate of interest.unfortunately. :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've been away for a few weeks and my story regarding Ace is on page 2 of this thread. Basically my wife has been messed about something wicked by these blighters so we did the following:

Sent of a request for a true copy of the original CCA to the DCA (Wescot). This was posted on 09 September 2006 & signed for on 11 September 2006.

When I arrived home their were 2 letters regarding this situation.

The first dated 18 September 2006:

From a solicitors called Nelson Guest & Partners saying they are acting as instucted by Wescot Credit Services (DCA). This basically says I must pay within 7 days.

The second, dated 27 September 2006:

This is from Wescot (DCA) and reads as follows:

Dear xxxxx

Following your recent request for a copy application.

We can advise no agreement is required to accept delivery of goods sent to your address, however, we have returned your account to our client and enclose your cheque for £1.00

Please contact our client to discus repayments direct.

Trusting the above clarifies the situation.

Yours faithfully

So what do I do now? Is the information contained within the second letter correct, don't they have to supply the CCA?