Child Born 1986-2003 ?? Children's tax of up to £1058 - Anyone any info

jaxads
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5577 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got a letter from my local tax office the other day, 6 weeks after I sent my first letter asking if I qualified for the tax credit, saying they have sent it on to another tax office as they are the ones dealing with this. So I will be in for another long wait if thats how long they take to do anything:mad:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I have just come accross this thread. Would it be worth trying to claim for tax year 2001/2002 with the defence that they failed to advertise the fact??

It would be nice to get something back as I have a supposed overpayment of about £3000 from tax credits and a letter last august saying 2003/2004 & 2004/2005 is being reviewed. They say they wont want more money but who knows.....I still dont believe I was over paid in the first place.

Well, I have received a reply but not one I wanted to hear. They said I was to late to claim 2001 to 2002, hardly my fault when they dont tell you about it and I have only just heard about it on this site. They are quick to let you know when you owe them anything though. And they said we have already received 2002 to 2003 in our tax code, so thats that then, oh well it was worth a try.

Hi Jax63,

I thought the same as you about them not advertising that we could claim, it doesnt seem fair if we didnt know about it. I am the same as you, they are saying we have been overpayed over £3000 and am currently receiving no money from them and havent been for about a year now, with 2 kids things are quite difficult.

There was nothing wrong with the old system, I dont know why they changed it.

I have just checked old payslips and it turns out that I also received the allowance, however I know I am going off topic a bit here but when going through some old papers I found a letter from last August, re them reviewing my 2003-2004, 2004-2005 (TC954) I have never heard since so rang them. The person I spoke to reckoned she didn't know what that was, but through searching the net have found that they may have acted ileagally by changing it two years after end of tax year. We also haven't had any money for about two years and still owe them loads. So I think this is worth chasing up.

I have this feeling that out there somewhere is money with my name on it, and I intend to find it:-D

• 3 months later...

hi just in reply to the wait for a refund is 4 mth i have been waiting since april and even had to send another form in recorded as they lost the first!apparently it has now been passed for further checking and no one knows how long that will take,why i dont know because they already knew what was earned and knew the tax code and aid yes you are entitled and sent the form!we have never claimed for anything before and cant believe the hassle we are having in claiming what is legally due!

Ooh this looks like fun!

Two children born in 1992 & 1995 so I guess I might be eligible. I do the wages where I work so I know my tax code was the same as everyone else back then.

I've found the form 11CTC on line so will complete one each for the boys and send to my local tax office, unless anyone else thinks I shouldn't.

KJD

• 2 weeks later...

Just had an interesting telephone call from the IR in Preston..

I sent my form to my local tax office, addressed Child Tax Credit. The chap who called me said it should have said Children's Tax Credit. My tax office had sent the form to him (Child Tax Credit) and he was forwarding it to an office in Leeds who have been set up to deal just with these claims (Childrens Tax Credits).

PS He said they are getting enquiries from people who are using companies to claim on their behalves. I told him I had found out about it on this site and he said he had heard of it and why don't more people use it to get this rebate rather than paying someone else! :D

• 2 months later...

An update from me & to bump this up to the top again in case anyone hasn't seen it - deadline for this is 31.1.09!!

Had a letter from Salford (got an address & phone number if any one wants it) asking me to send copy of P60 for 2002-03 so they can check. Also got to fill in a P91 Employment History Form. Good job I'm a clutterbug with paperwork!

An update from me & to bump this up to the top again in case anyone hasn't seen it - deadline for this is 31.1.09!!

Had a letter from Salford (got an address & phone number if any one wants it) asking me to send copy of P60 for 2002-03 so they can check. Also got to fill in a P91 Employment History Form. Good job I'm a clutterbug with paperwork!

Do you know if you can claim if my husband was self employed I wasnt working I have children born these years 1995, 1997 & 2002 can I claim tho?:confused:

It'll depend on whether his tax code was 'normal' or adjusted to reflect the allowance. If I were you, I'd start the claim anyway. You'll need a Form 11TC. (I've got it on my computer at work so shout if you can't find it by googling etc & I'll forward it later). I would recommend handing it in personally or sending recorded or spec delivery. See below..

I sent my form to my local tax office, addressed Child Tax Credit. The chap who called me said it should have said Children's Tax Credit

It'll depend on whether his tax code was 'normal' or adjusted to reflect the allowance. If I were you, I'd start the claim anyway. You'll need a Form 11TC. (I've got it on my computer at work so shout if you can't find it by googling etc & I'll forward it later). I would recommend handing it in personally or sending recorded or spec delivery. See below..

Would appreciate it if I could have a copy, couldnt find it. Thanks for your help.

Hi all

I have just found about this, so decided to call my local tax office and they went off and checked and confirmed that I hadn't previously claimed it.

I understand that I am too late for 2001/2002, has anyone been succesful in claiming this years after the deadline?

Also when I downloaded the forms the guide notes state you may only claim for 1 child, but there is talk on here about all children born within these dates.

Can anyone help me with these two points please?

Thanks

S.B.

I have the form and will tick both years to try my luck.

I tried but got knocked back :(

Is there a letter that I could use to support 2001/2002 year?

I seem to recall reading about people trying to argue that we should still be able to claim that one because it wasn't our fault we didn't know about it in time. I'll have to have a look to see what new news (if you see what I mean) there is on this.

I think it was on MSE.

Hey all, my form for 2002/03 is away and just waiting to hear but can I pose a question?

HMRC seem to be relying on the fact that you cannot ask for 2001/2002 as too long has passed - statute barred argument? If this is the case the how come local government and governement taxes have a 20 year limit for chasing us but we only get the 5 or 6 to chase them?

Double standards or are they just hoping no-one would notice that?

Dipply75

I am in no way a legal advisor and only speak from my own experiences and the helpful advice of those in the same boat! :p

Wonder if anyone knows if there is anything I can do? I have a child born 1986 and another born 2002. I was entitled to this money and received a payment for the 2002 child but got a letter saying. "I regret that your claim for the childrens tax credit for the year ending 2002 was not made before 31 January 2007 and therefore was out of date."

Now, as we all know this was not publicised so none of us knew thus prob next to no-one applied before 31/01/07. I certainly did not know otherwise I would have applied.

Does anyone know of any successfull appeals? If so, how I go about doing it?

Thanks so much

Miss Lori

I am under the impression that we are all too late for the 2001/02 period, and from what I can gather, Revenue wont be budging on this, apparantley they are exempt from the limitation act ot what ever it is called.

I have ticked both years on my forms but wont be holding my breath for the earlier year.

Also it was one child per claim per year, you cannot claim for both children.

Hope this helps.

S.B.