Parcelforce charge?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4874 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just got a parcel siezed by customs....Got charged VAT on it, which I suppose is all fair, but what I dont understand too much is the handling charge Parcelforce put on top of that. Can anyone explain this to me a bit more?

Thanks, Chris.

It wasn't 'seized', it was simply held for payment of tax. ParcelForce* has a sliding scale to cover their costs it processing the additional paperwork required, and this is reflected in their charges - which will be separate from the tax duty to be paid, VAT on the goods, the service PF provide on clearing the item through customs, plus VAT for their charges.

*As does all the other carriers/couriers who handle non-EU deliveries

• 2 months later...
It wasn't 'seized', it was simply held for payment of tax. ParcelForce* has a sliding scale to cover their costs it processing the additional paperwork required, and this is reflected in their charges - which will be separate from the tax duty to be paid, VAT on the goods, the service PF provide on clearing the item through customs, plus VAT for their charges.

*As does all the other carriers/couriers who handle non-EU deliveries

This has just happened to me too. OK so they may be at liberty to charge a fee, even though when I had the same thing happen with Royal Mail I was not charged by Royal Mail I just had to pay the VAT, but Parcelforce are charging me £13.50!! I telephoned them for an explanation as to what this charge was and they said it was to cover their admin costs for holding the parcel and informing me of the customs charge via letter.

Well the last time I printed of a standard letter - not personalised - put the single sheet of A4 paper in an envelope and run it through a franking machine it didn't cost me £13.50.

Extortionate charges if you ask me - rip off Britain - again!!!

But your paper isn't "special" paper and your ink is just normal ink, and so on... [end of sarcasm] But if taking into account the whole letter process takes 5minutes to print/envelope up and post then ParcelForce staff are on over £500 per hour after deductions ;)

As If I remember correctly, any "admin charge" must reflect the actual costs incurred.

I would be writing to them asking for a full breakdown of this "admin charge" and shouting alittle more. You wont win, but it will make you feel much better.

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

Admin charge fights = worth doing. Except against a government backed agency. You will never ever get the charge waived....but as Hobbie says, a rant might make you feel better :)

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

when I had the same thing happen with Royal Mail I was not charged by Royal Mail I just had to pay the VAT, but Parcelforce are charging me £13.50!!

Royal Mail charge about £8 or £9 (not sure of exact amount) in addition to the customs charge.

Well the last time I printed of a standard letter - not personalised - put the single sheet of A4 paper in an envelope and run it through a franking machine it didn't cost me £13.50.

It's a little more work involved than simply sending you a letter.

From the HMRC website:

They handle packages for customs examination and, if required, open and re-pack them... also store packages if customs need to make enquiries; for example, when the contents have not been declared properly by the sender.

I imagine this list is not exhaustive as to what is involved in the process.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

It would appear that as I have not agreed to this additional charge prior to purchase of the goods, in that I have entered into a contract with the supplier and full shipping charges paid and NOT entered into a contract with Parcelforce for their part in the chain, I might not be obliged to pay this fee. They 'make' the contract that they bind us to but just cos they say we have to pay doesn't make it legal ... we have not agreed this contract.

They are not legally allowed to hold my goods to ransom if I refuse to pay.

See these threads:

EDIT: it appears I cannot post the links before making 5 posts ...

Basically ....

Parcelforce have already paid the duty on the package, which is your choice to pay or not. It's not their right to decide whether or not you want the parcel released from customs. So it's not their place to make that decision for you. The parcel is yours and they cannot hold it to ransom. They have the power to waive the fee. I like the guy who went to the depot and told them he was calling the police to report the item stolen. The volkzone thread is the best one.

Royal Mail charge about £8 or £9 (not sure of exact amount) in addition to the customs charge.

Unfortunately I have no control over who gets to handle my package when it arrives in this country ... this charge is 'invisible' and not something I have agreed to.

It's a little more work involved than simply sending you a letter.

From the HMRC website:

I think you took my exaggeration a little too literally.;-)

Born, I understand your position. But understand this. You are picking the wrong fight, as this is unwinnable. This is NOT the same situation as, for example, the banks or utility companys. Parcelforce and the Royal Mail have legal exclusions from liability in certain areas in court - I have no doubt that this charge will full under this exclusion.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Unfortunately I have no control over who gets to handle my package when it arrives in this country ... this charge is 'invisible' and not something I have agreed to.

If you are importing goods into this country it's your own responsibility to check what duty and fees associated with the import before you make the purchase.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I accept your comments and respect the fact that you are far more experienced in these matters than I am. I don't doubt that I will end up coughing up this charge, purely because I haven't got the front to see it to a satisfactory conclusion.

Unfortunately I am unable to post the links to the forum where I discovered that you can (legally) contest this charge.

If I refuse to pay the charge ParcelForce are not legally allowed to hold my package to ransom - called lien. Apparently delivery of my item is not dependent on me paying this charge.

I am still trawling through the other forum thread to get it clear enough for me to challenge ParcelForce but like most people I am not Watchdog / Don't Get Done Get Dom and as my confidence wanes so does my fighting spirit.

Good old rip off Britain :(

If you have evidence to show that this can be legally challenged, I'm sure such information would be welcome here(I for one am happy to be proved wrong). Perhaps instead of the link, you could copy and paste some of the information here?

Far too much detail to copy and paste here but as I have now made more than 5 posts I can put the link in.

The most relevant stuff is from post number 149

Don't Let Parcelforce Steal Your Cash! - Page 15 - VZi

It would be interesting to hear what people on this forum think of this guys research into the charges :)

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread by my query is related...

I received a VAT charge from parcel force and fee which I got waived as the parcel contained children's clothing which isn't VATable...

However I have now received a postcard with a charge of £1.10 from royal mail for the same parcel which I have to pay or they won't deliver it. This consists of 10p for the sender not paying the full postage and £1 handling fee.

I know it doesn't seem like much but it's the principle here!

Given the postage was paid in the USA and is in US$ how can they claim it is 10pence under? Surely that comes down to exchange rate?

Plus the parcel has been subject to checking for VAT, how do I know they didn't put it back together by adding extra tape etc which may have taken it 10p over!?

I can guarantee the parcel was weighed before being sent and the postage paid was as told.

Anyone got any advice on how to get it waived as it is plainly rediculous to claim 10p underpaid on something paid in US$.

I'm pretty sure that you will find the £1.10 surcharge is for a completely different item.

I've had a few of these where people have just put a First Class stamp on an A4 envelope which doesn't cover the postage, and it results in a 10p underpayment as a Second Class Large Letter costs 51p to send, but a normal First Class stamp is only worth 41p, hence the 10p underpayment.

Yes it seems you are right and it is for a different item. A birthday card for my son from his aunt.

So my question is now can they enforce a debt against a minor? I always understood that children were not liable for any debts in their name.

Anyone know if that is true or not and would it apply here?

Thanks

They're not trying to enforce a debt against anyone as no debt exists. They advised you that there was an item which required an extra payment to cover the surcharge, and you had two options - to pay the shortfall and receive the item; or to not pay it and not receive it.

I thought they were duty bound to deliver post and were not allowed to hold on to it.

Given the card has no return address (outside or in) they can not return it if I do not collect it.

If they cant return it do they then not have an obligation to deliver it?

No, they are only obliged to deliver it if the correct postage is paid, otherwise why would anybody ever bother paying for postage!