Nat West, denying reciept of request for statements

Saoirse
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6412 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, hopefully this isn't covered elsewhere (probably is but I've looked and can't find anything). I contacted Nat West a couple of weeks ago and was given an address to send my request for statements to, I sent it recorded delivery along with the £10 cheque and the covering letter from this site (thanks for that). I've contacted them today just out of curiousity and they've denied receiving the letter and also stated that "statements are not covered under the DPA", Royal Mail claim the letter was delivered so I'm a bit stuck as to what I do now. Thanks.

Seems like they don't really seem to know what they're talking about. Has the cheque been cashed? I've noticed that other people have posted that natwest have denied receipt, but then that a couple of days later £10 cheque has come out of their account??? I would send a complaint to the ombudsman with proof of receipt of your letter by natwest. I don't think the 40 days starts until the money comes out of your account though.

Anyone else have any thoughts or been through this themselves?

Good luck!

:( If the 40 day's doesn't start until the cheques cashed then they've pretty much got people by the danglies, they can choose to cash the cheque whenever they please.

Yes but as long as you have proof of receipt of the letter you can also show that they were taking the mick by saying that they hadn't received it and not complying to your DPA request and the law!!

The 40 days counts from when they received payment, not from when they cashed it.

Statements are not covered under the DPA - that's why we have a SAR template on the site for you to use.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

The 40 days counts from when they received payment, not from when they cashed it.

Statements are not covered under the Data Protection Act - that's why we have a SAR - (Subject Access Request) template on the site for you to use.

Sorry, it was the SAR template I used, I just got fixated on the bit about them sending statements as an alternative, so what do I do next if I don't receive them within 40 days?

There are templates for DPA non-disclosure in the library on this site. Use the appropriate one, but only if you are prepared to follow it through with legal action.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 4 weeks later...

Update today, apparently the address given to me by Nat West was wrong, they've acknowledged receipt of the letter but denied receipt of the cheque (which was posted in the same envelope) and apparently they sent a letter to me (which was never received) asking for me to pay the statutory fee.

They've only got a couple of day's left of the 40 day's left so it looks like I may end up going to court earlier than I thought, from what I've read the non-disclosure affair looks rather complicated :(

Guest NATTIE

Saoirse- just a thought because if it was sent to the branch, can you check if it was paid into your acount. I know this may seem odd but it may be a possibility. I'm going on a hunch here. Do you have a Credit Card with NW, maybe there?

Another update, still no correspondance from Nat West, their response "We've ordered the statements, they're supposed to posted out from a service centre, we're not sure what else to do".

If they think I'm going to drop this or that I might be unwilling to take them to court they're seriously mistaken, going to get the ball rolling today.

• 2 months later...

I do not know if this was a correct thing to do, when i sent my S A R i included that i wanted a letter of reciept and when i did not recieve one i went to my branch a got one from them personaly it has seemed to speed things up. As i see it the Banks want to remove the personal touch so i am going to force it back on them !