Bought a Car From Auction.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5904 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello to all!!!

About 2 weeks ago i bought a car from auction for 5500. it was a peugeot 206 gti.

The car came with no warranty, on the front it said sold with all its faults, but the company "lex" sell all their cars like this.

So i asked someone what faults it had, he said, it may not have any, thats how "lex" sell all their cars, sold as seen.

The car cant be test driven etc as its just from the auction, the company lex sends it here.

when i got it home, i sent it for a MOT, as it wasnt present in the first place.

The car turned out to be a complete failure and required repairs amounting to 1000.00 pounds.

The car was illegal and a road hazard, with bald tyres and broken suspension.

Ive had the car fixed.

But im sure i should have some rights against either Lex or the auction house surely?

How can they legally sell a road dangerous car?

Can someone advise me please?

Not an expert, but if it had no MOT declared with it then that should have been a warning to you that something was not right!

All these cars are sold as seen with or without MOT, whic is normally stated on the vehicle or declared faults, some have warranties of sorts by the vendor!

You do have an opportunity to view the vehicle prior to sale, look under bonnet, check tyres etc. if anything looks dodgy dont buy it!

You acn also ask the auctioner quetions, like does it come with MOT, prior to sale, but like I said if it had one they usually declare it to get the price up. Some auction houses offer a one hour garauntee for major failures but thats it.

Caveat emptor!! let the buyer beware.

Hi, experienced. You should always bear in mind that the only reason you decided to purchase a car at auction rather than a garage was that the car would be cheaper than anywhere else. At auction you are buying under "trade conditions". Motor dealers rely on auctions to acquire stock but we fully accept and expect that the vehicle will require some expenditure before being of a sufficient standard for a retail sale and we get the work done. Some cars I buy need major work that can run into several hundreds of pounds but that is my tough luck and I just get on with it. This is the way it works, motor trading is not as smooth as a lot of punters think. As for the tyres being bald perhaps you should have looked at them before bidding. If you cannot stomach the risks involved with buying at auction then perhaps it isn't for you.

So then, you bought an ex Lex leasing car, at auction, with no warranty, as seen & with no MOT.

It failed MOT and needed a grands worth of work and now you want the auction house or Lex to pay.

Words fail me..................................(We need a shaking head in disbelief icon)

What, exactly, are you experienced at?

Not buying cars :)

Hammy

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

When you buy from a car auction, it is not considered to be a consumer sale, so your consumer rights can be, and usually are, greatly reduced. You will be bound by the auction’s written terms and conditions, which must be available to you before you buy. They may be posted on the wall, issued in a booklet or on other paperwork.

When you buy from a car auction, it is not considered to be a consumer sale, so your consumer rights can be, and usually are, greatly reduced. You will be bound by the auction’s written terms and conditions, which must be available to you before you buy. They may be posted on the wall, issued in a booklet or on other paperwork.

You have no recourse on auction sales unless something implied or stated is not true, This is true for car/church/internet/house/property auctions. if the car was said to have an MOT and it doesnt, then you have recourse, but to be honest if you buy from an auction then buyers beware. if you want a motor with a warranty then go to a dealers not an auction, i think you gotta take it on the chin

TOTALLY debt free as of 2007, Fantastic,