Wrong Account

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5909 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I left my last job in December 2007, under a bit of a cloud, but was expecting my final months' salary just the same. The due date was 21st December, but no money came into my account. After a call was made, they assured me it would be paid that same day, 22nd december. However, nothing arrived, and it being Christmas and all, I eventually found out they had paid it into an old account of mine, one which was joint with my ex-wife. The company had been paying me in my new sole account for six months previously, and hadn't updated their records. so that was fine! As I have no access to the old account, they eventually paid me early January this year, and I thought that was that.

Now, however, they are threatening to take legal proceedings against me if I do not pay the original wages back! Is this not their mistake to remedy? Apart from anything else, I incurred bank charges because of the late payment from them, but that is apparently another matter!

Your comments/help, please!

Hi jockness and welcome to Cag.

I am pretty sure that it is up to your ex employers to contact their bank to try and recover the money. As you say this is not your account you have no control over it. It doesn't matter if it belongs to your ex wife or a complete stranger, you do not have access to it.

Have they thretened legal action in writing or verbally?

I recieved a letter from them, giving me until Friday coming to refund their money. It is still a joint account, and my name is still on it, but I have had no dealings with them for over six months and have destroyed my cards for that account. As far as I know, my ex-wife can still access it through on-line banking, though she is being rather tight-lipped about it. My fear is - if she has gotten to it, am I still liable for repaying my wages? If me company didn't follow my instuctions as to where my wages should be paid, isn't that their problem? Thanks for the welcome, your advice and hopefully more to come!

Perhaps it would be worthwhile popping into your bank and having a quick word. If your name is on the account then the bank should give you access to it. Take identification with you and explain what has happened. See if they will send the money directly to where it came from if not drawer it out and sort it yourself.

If you can do this it would save a lot of hassle even though it was your ex employers fault. It is up to them to reclaim through the proper channels.

What realistic chance is there of the money still being in the account?

Mmm, thanks for that - if my ex has gotten to it, probably not much! I will try to get to the bank this week, but it is in another town as I moved when we split up. I will give it a go, though!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, your advice and support are most welcome! Okay, here's the up to date story so far...

As it was a joint account with an overdraught, it couldn't be closed until the overdraught was settled. This was something I was in dispute with, but that's another tale. My ex-wife has indeed helped herself to the money which was paid in to this account, as she has kept internet access open. " You sort it out with them" was her reply to my question of what did she think was going to happen now!

So, the money has gone, I am under threat of court action if I don't pay it back, and have inaqequate finance to just write it off as a bad expeiennce.

I'll keep you all updated where I go from here, but any help on my position would still be gratefully received!