• Tweets

• Hello all,   I ordered a laptop online about 16 months ago. The laptop was faulty and I was supposed to send it back within guarantee but didn't for various reasons. I contacted the company a few months later and they said they will still fix it for me free of charge but I'd have to pay to send it to them and they will pay to send it back to me. The parcel arrived there fine. Company had fixed it and they sent it via dpd. I was working in the office so I asked my neighbours who would be in, as there's been a history of parcel thefts on our street. I had 2 neighbours who offered but when I went to update delivery instructions, their door number wasn't on the drop down despite sharing the same post code.  I then selected a neighbour who I thought would likely be in and also selected other in the safe place selection and put the number of the neighbour who I knew would definitely be in and they left my parcel outside and the parcel was stolen. DPD didn't want to deal with me and said I need to speak to the retailer. The retailer said DPD have special instructions from them not to leave a parcel outside unless specified by a customer. The retailer then said they could see my instructions said leave in a safe space but I have no porch. My front door just opens onto the road and the driver made no attempt to conceal it.  Anyway, I would like to know if I have rights here because the delivery wasn't for an item that I just bought. It was initially delivered but stopped working within the warranty period and they agreed to fix it for free.  Appreciate your help 🙏🏼   Thanks!
    • As the electric carmaker sees sales fall and cuts jobs, we take a closer look at its problems.View the full article
    • Care to briefly tell someone who isn't tech savvy - i.e. me! - how you did this? Every day is a school day.
    • Hi Guys, well a year on and my friend has just received this in the post today, obviously a little scared so looking for more of your advice.  Letter from the NCC dated 1-May-2024 is as follows.......   Before deputy district judge Haythorne sitting at the national business centre, 4th floor st Kathrine's house Northampton Upon reading an application from the claimant  it is ordered that  1. The claim be sent to the county court at #### (Friends local Court) Because this order has been made without a hearing, the parties have the right to apply to have the order set aside, varied or stayed.  A party making such an application must send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropriate fee) to arrive within seven days of service of this order.  If the application is one which requires a hearing, and a) the party making the application is the defendant: and b) the defendant is an individual, then upon filing of the application the claim will be transferred to the defendants home court.  In all other cases requiring a hearing the claim will be transferred to the preferred court.    As a result of an order made on the 1 May 2024, this claim has been transferred to the county court at ##### (friends local court) 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cl Finance/howardchoen Please Help**WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

when i received the letter of assignment, it stated it was a credit card with the credit card no and the credit card balance but in the poc it was stated as an overdraft with the credit card balance and credit card number.

this is the only claim i have received with the credit card number on it

thanks

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when i received the letter of assignment, it stated it was a credit card with the credit card no and the credit card balance but in the poc it was stated as an overdraft with the credit card balance and credit card number.

this is the only claim i have received with the credit card number on it

thanks

oh.....

from skimming over the thread it looked as if they had brought 2 claims against you so i was wondering what the other claim was for? and if it had any relevence to this claim

i just want to make sure we dont miss anything

yes they have brought another claim against me, the other was for a loan account, but they had put my bank account number against it,not the loan no, this was on both notice of assignment and the POC (42man has helped me with the defence on this earlier this week its post 32 of this thread )

sorry to confuse you

no letter before action been recieved

Oh you dont know how happy youve just made me with that comment, time to fillet their donkey:)

basically you cannot plead to this claim as it stands as you have no idea what you are expected to plead to, the account number relates to a credit card but they claim its a overdraft and they need to provide supporting evidence atleast

i am working on a defence and hope to have it posted by this afternoon

In the xxxxxxxx County Court

Claim number

Between

xxxxxxxxxxx- Claimant

and

- Defendant

Defence

1. I xxxxxxxxx of xxxxxxxxxxxxx am the defendant in this action and make the following statement as my defence to the claim made by xxxxxxxxxxxx

2. I am embarrassed to plead to the claimants statement of case as matters stand as they state they are bringing this claim under a overdraft on a current account however the account number and figures claimed do not relate to any bank account which I hold.

3. The account number stated in the claimants statement of case relates exactly to a credit card agreement with XXXXX Bank and consequently is causing me great confusion as I do not know what cause of action they are reliant upon when bringing this claim.in addition, the claimant should be aware that credit card numbers are 16 digits long and bank accounts are 8 digits. this is standard format across the banking industry and does not change no matter which financial institution

4. The claimant's particulars of claim are very vague and are not sufficiently particularised in accordance with CPR part 16 and practice direction 16 in particular the claimants statement of case does not conform to CPR 16.4. No particulars are offered as to how the amount claimed is calculated nor is there a copy of a default notice annexed to the particulars of claim and most importantly, where the claimant is bringing this claim which is founded upon a written contract, namely a credit agreement they should serve a copy of that agreement with the particulars of claim

5. Further more, the claimant cite that their right to bring this action is based upon an assignment. No copy of the Notice of Assignment has been annexed to the claim form. The defendant notes to have a right of action in their name the claimant would need to serve a Notice of Assignment as laid out in Section 136 of the Law of Property Act 1925 and that section 196 of the same act sets out how a Notice of Assignment must be served.

6. Therefore pursuant to point 5, I require the claimant to provide Notice of Assignment and also proof of service of the said Notice pursuant to S196 Law of Property Act 1925 and put them to strict proof that such documents exist and were served correctly and also the defendant require the deed of assignment be provided to the court for inspection

7. Consequently where the claimant has failed to provide the written documents that they rely upon and does not even appear to know what cause of action the claim is based upon, I am unable to admit or deny their claims and accordingly I put them to strict proof thereof.

8. On xx/xx/200 in an attempt to clarify the basis of this claim and what grounds the claimant was bringing this action I wrote to the claimant requesting that they supply certain documents, which their claim was based upon. The request was for supporting documents and was inter alia: - a copy of the written agreement or contract, a copy of statements or any other document showing how the amount claimed was accrued, a copy of the Notice of Assignment, a copy of the Default notice and formal demand which must be served under the Consumer Credit Act 1974. A copy of the letter is annexed to this defence

9. I requested that this information be supplied within 14 days of receipt of my letter, which was received by the claimant on xxxxxxx. It is not unreasonable to expect the claimant to be able to supply such information within 14 days considering that the claimant must surely be in possession of such documents as they have committed to bringing this claim before the court. It is surely inconceivable that the claimant being experienced in these kind of litigation matters could bring such an action without the key documents which they would need to prove their case

10. The claimant failed to supply the requested information within the requested time frame and as a result they have made it extremely difficult to know what grounds the claimant brings this case, as all I have to work with is their vague particulars of claim and nothing else. This places me at an extreme disadvantage since I am a litigant in person and this surely prejudices my ability to offer any reasoned defence to this claim

11. Notwithstanding matters already pleaded, No letter before action was received from the claimant. I note that the Civil Procedure Rules Pre-action Protocols Para 4.3 sets out the requirements of a letter before action and its minimum contents. Since the claimant failed to serve the letter before action I was unaware of the claim until the court forms were served upon me. Again this places me at a distinct disadvantage and has potential to prejudice my ability to raise a full defence to this action

12. After consideration of the matters pleaded and the claimants vague particulars of claim I request that the court strike out the claimants statement of case pursuant to CPR 3.4 (2)(a) &© for failing to comply with the CPR pre-action protocols, failing to comply with the requirements of Part 16 and practice Direction 16 insofar as they have failed to supply any supporting documents and that the statement of claim is too vague and insufficiently particularised and offer no real prospect of success as matters stand

13. Should the court decide not to strike out the claimants case, it is requested that the court order the claimant to provide documents in support of their claim to allow me to ascertain exactly what grounds they are bringing this claim and exactly what the basis of this claim is be it a credit card, loan or bank account because as it stands it is extremely unclear

14. Should it be the case that the claimant is confused as suggested and is bringing this action for a credit card or loan then the claimant must supply a copy of the credit agreement pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (CCA) the CCA sets out that a credit agreement must contain certain minimum terms and must be signed by the debtor and creditor before a court can issue an enforcement order. The minimum terms referred to are found within the Consumer Credit Agreements Regulations 1983 SI 1983/ 1553 within schedule 6 column 2 of the said regulations. Failure for the agreement to contain these terms will render it unenforceable by virtue of section 127 (3) of the CCA and I note this issue has been addressed in various cases including the House of Lords in Wilson & first County Trust [2003] UKHL 40 where it was established if a credit agreement is not signed by the debtor and/or it fails to contain the prescribed terms, it cannot be enforced even by the courts and this is still relevant as the Consumer Credit Act 2006 does not repeal section 127(3) of the 1974 act where the agreement was made before 6th April 2007 . This is contained within schedule 3 of the CCA 2006 at paragraph 11

15. It therefore stands to reason that if the claim is based upon a credit agreement and the claimant does indeed amend its statement of claim, the claimant must supply a copy of the agreement and any other documents referred to within it, additionally they must also provide a default notice pursuant to section 87(1) of the CCA 1974 in the correct form containing the required terms as per the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561)

16. Should the claimant make an application to amend their particulars of claim and such application be granted, I respectfully request that the court order the claimant to provide the relevant documents supporting their claim and allow me permission to amend the defence accordingly in reply

Statement of Truth

I xxxxxxxxxxx, believe the above statement to be true and factual

Signed .....................

Date

Ok there we go, basically there is no real need to mess around trying to refer to the consumer credit act etc at the mo, they have not supplied a sufficiently particularised claim nor have they supplied any supporting documents so you cannot asnwer such a vague claim and i think that defence sets it out clearly

any questions please feel free to ask

paul thats fantastic i will get it signed and sent to the court i will keep you all updated because im sure i will require your help again soon

DON't forget to send it special delivery -- no short cuts ( the postal rates go up next week as well);

:cool: sunbathing in juan les pins de temps en temps

• 3 weeks later...

update

I received a letter from H.Cohen n on Thursday about my request under the cpr rules

We refer to our previous communication in this matter.

We write to inform you that we have been unsuccessful in obtaining the original agreement and statements you requested.

We now await your reply to the county court claim form.

If you wish to discuss this matter, please call 0870.......

i have already replied to the courts and they have confirmed receipt of my defence in writing what should i do now?

thanks in advance for any help

Personally, I wouldcopy this letter to the court to be attached to your file. Otherwise wait until you get the AQ and then request their claim be struck out because they have not supplied the information you requested

• 3 weeks later...

hi

since receivng a letter from the court on the 10th april saying they have recieved my defence and sent it to the sols, what happens next and should it really take this long?

hi

since receivng a letter from the court on the 10th april saying they have recieved my defence and sent it to the sols, what happens next and should it really take this long?

Hi there,

they have a total of 33 days to decide if they are going to proceed,

it may be worth giving the court a call to check on the progress of the claim

post just arrived with two letters from h.cohen saying

We refeer to the above matter and in paticular the defence you have recently filed.

we would ask you to find enclosed by way of service upon you the clamiants notice of discontinuance of proceedings herein. The original has been lodged at court.

so what do i do now contact them and make an amount i can afford each month or wait for them to come and ask me

thanks

We refeer to the above matter and in paticular the defence you have recently filed.

we would ask you to find enclosed by way of service upon you the clamiants notice of discontinuance of proceedings herein. The original has been lodged at court.

so what do i do now contact them and make an amount i can afford each month or wait for them to come and ask me

thanks

Hi there,

Notice of Discontinuance means in essence you have WON CONGRATULATIONS

its game over, they have pulled out of the case, so you dont need to do diddly as they cannot restart the case against you without leave from the court as the Civil Procedure Rules states that they cannot bring another claim on the same facts without premission of the court and since they have botched this case so much, its unlikely that the court would give them leave to restart the claim

if any thing, i would be considering any costs you have incurred and mnaking an application to the court for an award of costs pursuant to the CPR

thanks

A Notice of Discontinuance means

"YOU DO NOT OWE US ONE SINGLE PENNY AND WE HAVE DROPPED THE CASE COMPLETELY"

Congratulations. DO NOT MAKE THEM ANY OFFER OF PAYMENT - THIS DEBT WITH THEM IS NOW DEAD AND BURIED.

Exactly what SG1 says;)

if anything they owe you now:)

this is taken from the Civil Procedure Rules

Liability for costs 38.6 (1) Unless the court orders otherwise, a claimant who discontinues is liable for the costs which a defendant against whom he discontinues incurred on or before the date on which notice of discontinuance was served on him.

(2) If proceedings are only partly discontinued –

(a) the claimant is liable under paragraph (1) for costs relating only to the part of the proceedings which he is discontinuing; and

(b) unless the court orders otherwise, the costs which the claimant is liable to pay must not be assessed until the conclusion of the rest of the proceedings.

(3) This rule does not apply to claims allocated to the small claims track.

(Rule 44.12 provides for the basis of assessment where right to costs arises on discontinuance)

i just wanted to say a very big thankyou to you all especially pt2537 without your help they would have won by default.

one other thing could they sell the debt on again and another company take me to court.