VAT Surcharge

ncf355
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5914 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Heres one then

is a vAT surcharge lawful?

I was late paying HMCE by X time and the surcharge they are requesting amounts to just under 25%

I have no intention of pushing this one, but surely the law applies to HMCE the same as anyone else

I wouldve thought the lawful charge would be BOE rate of interest plus say about 1% and an admin charge?

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

Guest Old_andrew2018

I believe they have the right to levy a penalty charge, have yoiy tried to

Negotiate with them in an attempt to secure a lower charge.

regards

Andy

Heres one then

is a vAT surcharge lawful?

I was late paying HMCE by 2.5 months and the surcharge they are requesting amounts to just under 25%

I have no intention of pushing this one, but surely the law applies to HMCE the same as anyone else

I wouldve thought the lawful charge would be BOE rate of interest plus say about 1% and an admin charge?

Unless you want a bucket load of the brown stuff landing on your head, I strongly suggest you cough up and take it on the chin. I once kept them waiting 6 weeks and had them knocking on the door holding their hand out. After paying them, with charges on top and thinking thats the end of the matter, a month later I copped a 2 day vat inspection which luckily turned out to be ok.

Best advice mate, pay up and leave them alone.:sad:

Yep

if Im honest that was my train of thought but it riles me

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

HMRC's charges like this are established by statute and not contract. As they're not contractual penalties the issues surrounding unlawful bank charges don't apply I'm afraid.