stopped to look at map!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5920 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a PCN from Hounslow for a contavention "(02) Parked or loading/unloading in a restricted street where waiting and loading/unloading restrictions are in force" It was based on a video. It's a total surprise to me as what happened was that my wife and I stopped to check the map for 2 minutes and then carried on our journey. No one left the car, no one got in etc.

I don't know what i actually stopped in, but if there is video, it will show us stopping and then driving off 2 minutes later.

Is that really an offence? Do I have grounds for an appeal?

Can you post a copy of the PCN (with identifying details hidden) so that we can see if it's enforceable?

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

I have a PCN from Hounslow for a contavention "(02) Parked or loading/unloading in a restricted street where waiting and loading/unloading restrictions are in force" It was based on a video. It's a total surprise to me as what happened was that my wife and I stopped to check the map for 2 minutes and then carried on our journey. No one left the car, no one got in etc.

I don't know what i actually stopped in, but if there is video, it will show us stopping and then driving off 2 minutes later.

Is that really an offence? Do I have grounds for an appeal?

Stopping for any other reason than to allow passengers in or out is classified as waiting (unless of course you are in traffic) and is a contravention where its prohibited by yellow lines.

I guess I'll have to put it down to experience. Seems harsh though. Generally you get all this advice about "don't do XYZ but pull over", so instead of driving with a map in front of my face, I pull over and get £50 poorer.

Thanks for the advice though.

It is harsh and the symptomatic of the automated way this country is dealing with things. I'm sure a policemane would have been more understanding and may even have helped you find your destination.

Don't forget tiglet's post. The ticket may have errors cauing it to be unenforceable. If you can sacn it, remove personal details, then post it here some of the experts will take a look at it.

Mike

You could always advise them that you pulled over because you felt unwell and thought you were going to be sick, obviously it would have been unsafe to carry on driving at that moment.

After a brief respite you felt well enough to continue your journey and proceeded. Since no-one got out or entered your car it would seem plausible.

I suggest this because although it is illegal to stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway, you are allowed under law to pull over if you feel unwell and think you might be about to vomit.

If they still hold out for payment ask them what you were supposed to do in those circumstance, did they expect you to carry on driving, throw up and have/cause an accident.

Mossycat

PS Don't take it that I am suggesting that you tell a lie here, but we all feel ill from time to time don't we?

You could always advise them that you pulled over because you felt unwell and thought you were going to be sick, obviously it would have been unsafe to carry on driving at that moment.

After a brief respite you felt well enough to continue your journey and proceeded. Since no-one got out or entered your car it would seem plausible.

I suggest this because although it is illegal to stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway, you are allowed under law to pull over if you feel unwell and think you might be about to vomit.

If they still hold out for payment ask them what you were supposed to do in those circumstance, did they expect you to carry on driving, throw up and have/cause an accident.

Mossycat

PS Don't take it that I am suggesting that you tell a lie here, but we all feel ill from time to time don't we?

Lying on a parking appeal is a criminal offence and considering the whole thing was captured on video getting hauled before the magistrates as well as a PCN suggesting faking illness is not really sound advice!

Lying on a parking appeal is a criminal offence and considering the whole thing was captured on video getting hauled before the magistrates as well as a PCN suggesting faking illness is not really sound advice!

Which part of 'I'm not suggesting you tell a lie' didn't you understand then?

Mossycat

Which part of 'I'm not suggesting you tell a lie' didn't you understand then?

Mossycat

Which part of I stopped to look at a map indicated the OP was ill?? If you wasn't implying he should claim it was the case why even bother mention it?

If it was only 2 minutes, can you not claim you had pulled over, THEN realised you were in a load/unload space.

Appeal, it only takes a letter;)

LTSB court date 25/7/07

17/7/07 I WON I WON I WON!!!!:p :grin:

HSBC court date 11/9/07 (stayed)

CapOne lba 7/1/08-15/3/08 WON.

Citicards lba 14/1/08

Read Read and Read Some:razz: More

If I've been helpful in anyway please tip my scales:rolleyes:

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts.

Which part of I stopped to look at a map indicated the OP was ill?? If you wasn't implying he should claim it was the case why even bother mention it?

Your pedantic bickering isn't helping the OP or other people who may at some future date be in the same position.

When you learn the difference between infer and imply then you will understand why I don't need to address your inane point

Mossycat

Your pedantic bickering isn't helping the OP or other people who may at some future date be in the same position.

When you learn the difference between infer and imply then you will understand why I don't need to address your inane point

Mossycat

And your advice has helped who??? There are numerous exemptions for stopping on a loading restriction none of which apply to the OP, if you really wish to help why not list them all rather than just mention a medical emergency which obviously does not apply here?

And your advice has helped who???

Hmmm anyone who wasn't aware of that exemption, anyone who at some future date stops either on a hardshoulder or in a no stopping/waiting area and can quickly give good reason for why they have stopped.

I was given that piece of advice years ago and it has helped me, I passed it on hoping it would help others.

Mossycat

That's the beauty of it. It wasn't illness nor was it a medical emergency 'per se' it was a very brief feeling of sickness during which you felt you might vomit. Since the feeling past quickly you did not need to consult a doctor, hence no documentary evidence would be required.

Speaking from experience I know this to be the case

Mossycat

That's the beauty of it. It wasn't illness nor was it a medical emergency 'per se' it was a very brief feeling of sickness during which you felt you might vomit. Since the feeling past quickly you did not need to consult a doctor, hence no documentary evidence would be required.

Speaking from experience I know this to be the case

Mossycat

You obviously did not read my post there is NO exemption from parking restrictions for feeling ill. Councils MAY and 99.9% of the time will not accept it as mitigation unless its life threatening. Its the same as breaking down if the Council accepted everyones word for it without proof everyone would just claim to be ill or broken down.

OP is new - let's not get into an argument which detracts from the issue and may put him off the forum please guys. :)

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

And your advice has helped who???

And your advice has helped whom?:rolleyes:

For the OP, from what you have posted, you have committed a contravention and are liable. However, follow Tiglet's advice in post #2 and we can see if we can help.

Thanks for all the help. Sorry to have provoked a few minor arguments! I'll try and get the scan together. Looking at it, the only minor detail is that the picture is timed 9:24:48 and the time of the offence 9:26. No doubt they can wind the video forward if they needed to, but does that help?

I agree with G & M.

To tell lies (even little ones) in order to escape a PCN is a very serious offence & just not worth the risk as you could end up being imprisoned for what originally was a minor transgression.

Why doesn't the OP just tell the truth. That he pulled over because he was lost & needed to consult a map. You never know the adjudicator might accept such mitigation & cancel the PCN.

Stranger things have happened

Thanks for all the help. Sorry to have provoked a few minor arguments! I'll try and get the scan together. Looking at it, the only minor detail is that the picture is timed 9:24:48 and the time of the offence 9:26. No doubt they can wind the video forward if they needed to, but does that help?

You are correct parking is done generally by video and the photos are just to show you at the scene. Its a common misconception the photos provided show the arrival and departure with comments such as 'I was only filmed parked for 30 secs!'. The photos provided are stills taken from video and are timed only to show the contravention took place, for example you could park on yellow lines for 30 mins but the photos may still only be a minute apart.