• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bright house of horrors

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3790 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry all, iv managed to post that three times!! I need to delete two of them! How?

Its ok I have reported to the site team with the "!" button. They will sort it :)

BH are a bunch of clowns lol Even their head office are jokers.

Good luck :)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello again......!

Just to add to my story above, when I have just checked my B.H contract, I realised I had'nt even signed it!! Thats how quick and eager these idiots were in getting me to sign for up for my couch, they were'nt bothered if iv signed my half or not LOL :D

Hello again......!

Just to add to my story above, when I have just checked my B.H contract, I realised I had'nt even signed it!! Thats how quick and eager these idiots were in getting me to sign for up for my couch, they were'nt bothered if iv signed my half or not LOL :D

Well, if you haven`t signed it then you don`t owe anything :D

If I have helped or made you laugh in any way in your hour of need, then please click my scales <<<<<<<<<< ;)

:-x Brighthouse make me so angry. I have a mobile phone with them and told them I will pay fortnightly. They DO NOT leave me alone. They have discussed my account on the doorstep with my sons baby sitter. They have also rang my boss who is not one of my contacts.

I feel as though I am being bullied and harrassed by these people. Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks

:-x Brighthouse make me so angry. I have a mobile phone with them and told them I will pay fortnightly. They DO NOT leave me alone. They have discussed my account on the doorstep with my sons baby sitter. They have also rang my boss who is not one of my contacts.

I feel as though I am being bullied and harrassed by these people. Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks

Speak to these knob jockeys EXACTLY how you seem fit. What exactly are they going to do?

If I have helped or made you laugh in any way in your hour of need, then please click my scales <<<<<<<<<< ;)

• 2 weeks later...

If you have paid over a third or more of the agreement, the goods are yours, it says so it their own ripp-off agreement.

No it does NOT!

If you have paid more than one third of your agreement, the goods become "protected" goods, and cannot be repossed without a court order. They do NOT become yours!

This is ill-informed and completely incorrect advice.

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

hi iv been wid them (bh) for like 2 years now an on my fist agreement i sed i dont want(osc) i was told i hade to take out ther (osc) to obtain credit so i did. now cos ov this site i no it is ''optional'' so if i got home home contents insurance can i go in whith that on the payment date an a letter telling them i wanna cancel (osc) with a 7 day notice letter. do thay really take(osc)off. an i wanting people that have hade it taken off ther accounts to let me no an what bank will cover it cos ther is a lot ov talk an no saying about what banks will cover it so if all this i true people need to no the facts to help them like me

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, ive been reading this site for the past 2 hours because I have a problem with BH regarding OSC & DLC and I must say that this site has been sooooo helpful and informative in assisting my case. Never before have I been so gratious with the amount of legal info and answers.

I am going into BH 2moz to hand them a letter (found on this site) to take off my DLC as I am fed up with trying to prove to them that my home insurance is sufficient enough.

Im still curious as to my legal right with OSC....I have to make a payment 2moz, now, if I choose NOT to pay my OSC and just pay for the product and the DLC (until I send off the legally binding letter asking for removal of said DLC) will I be breaking any contractual agreement by not paying the OSC??

It doesnt matter if I have to pay it as its only a couple of quid (and its going to be the last time anyway coz im sending the letter out 2moz) I just begrudge giving them more money than im legally supposed to lol.

No it does NOT!

If you have paid more than one third of your agreement, the goods become "protected" goods, and cannot be repossed without a court order. They do NOT become yours!

This is ill-informed and completely incorrect advice.

Cheers

Lefty

Hi all,

I`d just like to appologise for my incorrect remark - I read the BH CCA, but must have been thinking of something totaly different when at the time.

Sorry gang :(

N.P

top group,wonder how many of the bh employee,s read any of this,im at the stage now of getting txt messages of them now,to which i reply any correspondence shall be in writing,to which they did not respond..lefty u have been a great help and id like to thank you and everyone else who has pointed people in the right direction on this group..may you all have a great christmas,and to those worrying about brighthouse...dont they are not worth the worry..high street cowboys,and if you stand your ground,they do back off..merry christmas to you all,and thanks once again:)

• 2 weeks later...

SUCCESS!!!

I got the OSC & DLC removed from my contract and furthermore had a great sense of victory as I looked into the eyes of the manager as I signed the new agreement...you could tell he was quite bitter with the event as he knew I was well educated on the law (thanks to this site) and legally couldnt do niff about it!!

Victory has never tasted sweeter!!

In your face sh*tehouse....lol

:cool:

hi, i was just reading all the post,s and i, glad i did now as when i began with bright house i had house insurance and they told me that i could not have the tv unless i took out there cover they even phoned my insurance to ask them if they cover hp they did not so i took there cover and cancelled my house insurance as i could not afford the both i feel like i was bullied into sighnin for the cover, also i have missed a couple of weeks payments due to christmas i have ad them ringin everyday comin to my house wantin to take these items back witch i have nearly payed for been payin since sep 2007 a cooker, tv and dryer i feel like i been payin for ever, why do they pester when i pay the late fees, so is the cover optinal can i write in and cancell?

Hi Niceone1970,

You asked a few questions in your two posts and, although I know you've been discussing with others, I'd like to jump in and help if I can.

hi, i was just reading all the post,s and i, glad i did now as when i began with bright house i had house insurance and they told me that i could not have the tv unless i took out there cover they even phoned my insurance to ask them if they cover hp they did not so i took there cover and cancelled my house insurance as i could not afford the both i feel like i was bullied into sighnin for the cover, also i have missed a couple of weeks payments due to christmas i have ad them ringin everyday comin to my house wantin to take these items back witch i have nearly payed for been payin since sep 2007 a cooker, tv and dryer i feel like i been payin for ever, why do they pester when i pay the late fees, so is the cover optinal can i write in and cancell?
Ok, just to reiterate, there are the TWO seperate insurances offered on a Brighthouse Credit Agreement - Optional Service Cover (OSC) and Damage Liability Cover (DLC).

OSC, despite anything that is said in store, can be removed at ANY time. The best way to do it is by using the template that is used a lot on this forum:

Item Description/Account Number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dear Sir

I am writing to give the required 7 days notice, as detailed in my agreement(s) that I wish to cancel all "optional" service cover on the above product(s). To simplify matters, I have today (date) presented a copy of this letter to the store manager of Brighthouse (Branch), which has been duly acknowledged, so 7 days notice shall commence at the date of this letter.

As stated in my agreement:

“Your Obligations: Optional Service Cover

Section C (b) The service cover premium is renewable each time your regular instalment is due under the agreement. If the premium is not paid Service Cover will lapse.

Section H (3) This policy shall continue in force until you give seven days notice…”

I shall, therefore, be making my next payment on (day) at Brighthouse (branch). This payment will not include "optional" service cover.

I understand that I may be required to sign a revised agreement. I will only do this on the firm understanding that all payments made previously on this agreement are reflected in any revised agreement. I do not waive any of my rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 regarding, in particular, “early settlement” and “repossession” as set out in section J of the original agreement.

Kind Regards

You

My advice would be to send that, RECORDED DELIVERY, to both your store and to Head Office.

As for DLC, this is the part that can be covered by your Home Insurance. My advice as far as your situation regarding that would be to put in writing, once again, to the Store Manager and to Head Office that you have your own Home Insurance and you wish to have the DLC removed forthwith. Regardless of any phone call made by a store member, contacting Head Office may well get movement on this for you.

so the goods are not ours after we have paid a 3rd mate.
Under a Brighthouse agreement, the goods are not yours until the FULL term of the agreement has been paid. The "one third" you are referring to regards repossession, and is termed as follows:

"REPOSSESSION: YOUR RIGHTS

If you do not keep up your side of this agreement but you have paid at least one third of the total amount payable under this agreement, that is £XXX.XX we may not take back the goods against your wishes unless we get a court order. (In Scotland we may need to get a court order at any time.) If we do take the goods without your consent or a court order, you have the right to get back any money that you have paid under this agreement."

Source: BrightHouse Hire Purchase Agreement, Key Information

I hope that has been of some help to you.

Eagle Eyed

thanks that was a great help, they have just been to my house demanding £176, as all togeter they say i still owe over £1000, and they said they can do me for theft can they i really need advice what to do please as i have not got the money right now cause of benefits. but i have paid well over a third. what best for me to do now i mention about payin a third they said read section 8d i not got agrements they have in there shop file.:?

thanks that was a great help, they have just been to my house demanding £176, as all togeter they say i still owe over £1000, and they said they can do me for theft can they i really need advice what to do please as i have not got the money right now cause of benefits. but i have paid well over a third. what best for me to do now i mention about payin a third they said read section 8d i not got agrements they have in there shop file.:?

Hmm, interesting.

Section 8d of the Terms And Conditions For Brighthouse Hire Purchase Agreement states the following:

(d) ACCESS - You must allow our Technicians and authorised employees and agents access to the Goods at all reasonable times for the purpose of repair, adjustment, inspection or removal.

However, and perhaps Lefty could jump in here if he knows more of the Law than I do, but I believe BH are on dodgy ground legally enforcing this. They are NOT bailiffs, and do not employ bailiffs as far as I am aware.

I will email him and see if he can shed some on this as well.

Eagle Eyed

I`m of the understanding only a Court can enforce such an entry, using registered Bailiffs? Not any old bozzo from your local ****ehouse store.

Of course, there are also Police officers with a warrant.

they just posted a card sayin they came to collect goods but i was not in lol i was in told them i could not pay and now and they said if i don,t give them the goods they were goin to do me for theift.

I do also need to add the following, and I'm afraid it may not be what you want to here.

Please remember, you have signed a legally binding contract, and have agreed to pay weekly payments for the goods you are purchasing. Arguments can be made on OSC, DLC, late fees, and the tactics used by BH, but you HAVE signed for this item, so they are entitled to the payments due. Hiding from it completely, I am sorry to say, will not resolve the matter.

Sorry if that's not exactly what you're looking for.

Eagle Eyed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3790 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks