APCOA - scammers for Brit Rail.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5810 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Great site here! Already got great info about how to deal with these VERY unethical private parking [problematic]. Here's my story:

My vehicle received a 'civil penalty notice' in Oct at a train station from APCOA - it was half expected as driver had awful difficulty calling from the train to pay the parking fee 'the easy way':-x. Train moves & mobile cracks up... Driver did it when reached destination ultimately.

Turns out penalty was in fact for 'parked over 2 bays'. Vehicle was in the back corner of the lot (to avoid dings) and positioning was dictated by the car straddling the lines next to vehicle. Caused no hardship to anyone as there were so many empty bays around where parked.

Anyway, they printed vehicle number incorrectly on this unsigned ticket - this being a reg number that isnt registered to keeper and seemingly doesnt even exist (after doing an online insurance check on the reg). Anyway 1st ever letter received today to the keeper stating that charge has been upped and passed to a collection agency Hunter Forrest. The reg number on this demand is not the number on the ticket - they have corrected this number in order to find RK. Did they refer to a picture?

If they were legit enough to print their address a short response letter would be in order, but they want it 'off the record' by phone. I dont think so!

Any suggestions of best course of action guys? This really is a 'walking on the cracks in the pavement' type moneymaking [problem] that ruins this country for honest hardworking people so I'm up for a fight.

Cheers

Auntie

Hello Auntie,

Have a read of the stickies at the top of the forum. In particular the Private Parking Charges/Companies Everything You Need to Know.

Just one note of caution. Make sure they haven't mentioned the Railway Byelaws anywhere on their "ticket". This relates to your vehicle causing obstruction or not parking as directed. If they have they have put this on their ticket then they have got some backing in statute law and you need to be careful. Post back with details if they have.

However from your desciption it sounds like a bulk standard invoice from a PPC and I would refuse to deal with them over the phone. If they ring you tell them you will only accept written communication from them over this matter.

If they run true to form they will send a request to the DVLA for the RK details which will cost them £2.50. Given that the Reg number on their invoice is wrong they will probably be unable to track you down and you will hear nothing further. If they do get the RK details then I would use the Bernie the Bolts template letters which you will also find at the top of this forum.

Stand firm and don't give these [problematic] a penny.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 4 months later...

Accepted that there may be a theoretical breach of contract. OP could be accused of taking up 2 bays. In a busy car park this could result in a loss equal to the cost of the original ticket. In a half empty car park, as described, there are no such damages.

Guess what - the PPC is not proposing damages for breach of contract but rather a Penalty - unenforceable tosh.

If this ticket were under railway bylaws the route would magistrates court then bailiffs, so pretty sure that this is just a standard PPC invoice.

Aunty - my advice would be just keep mum