three months overpayment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5941 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I left my last job on September 2007 and they continued paying me a salary for three months. As soon as i found out-which was on October 2007- i got in touch with my previous manager and told him. I did the same thing the following two months. Apparently he had emailed the HR department twice but no action was taken.

Two days ago i received a letter saying that they will soon let me know how much money i need to pay them back. I am not sure what to do, considering that i paid more tax as well.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

If this was a genuine mistake, you may have to repay them (this repayment can in practice be on your own terms).

However what you need to do is to think of things that you can use to argue that this extra money is proper to you.

For example, did your employment contract give you one months notice, but other (like workers) get three months?

Chances are that a good employment law solicitor will suggest various things that you can do in an attempt to keep the money.

On a practical level, it might be a good idea to open a seperate account to put this money in, that way you're not tempted to dip into it.

Thanks for your reply advisee.

I gave one month's notice and i let them know as soon as i realized that balance was too high. Apparently they are too slow to short things out.

I think the best would be to go to a CAB.

Thanks