CRB Checks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5927 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi their,i had a sucessful interview with an insurance premium company and they want to do a CRB check (i think) so they need my passport and driving licence, now my question is about 3-4 years ago i was done on suspicion of theft i was only 17 never been in trouble before and havnt been since it was a situation that got out of hand and i admited to it and got a caution by surrey police i was given acaution but i dont think i was read my rights.

well my question is willthis show on the CRB and do you reckon they will not persue employment with me

thanks

Ben

Hi there, are you sure they are going to do a CRB check? They could just be checking your identity - I do that with all new employees, they have to bring their passport and one other form of identification to prove a) they are who they say they are and b) that they have the right to work in the UK.

They would have to inform you in writing that they will be conducting a CRB check. Have they asked you to fill in a declaration form for a CRB check? (sometimes it is in the application form) usually these forms have a section which asks if you have ever received a formal caution - you would have to admit to this I'm afraid. If you don't and it shows up on the CRB check an employer will see this as dishonesty.

However, not all employers require you to complete a declaration, only to sign a form giving your consent to the check.

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

They could just be checking your identity - I do that with all new employees, they have to bring their passport and one other form of identification to prove a) they are who they say they are and b) that they have the right to work in the UK.

Likewise I have to do this. It is a legal requirement under the Asylum & Immigration Act for employers to verify the eligibility of the applicant to work in the UK.

Also, are you sure that it is a CRB check and not a CRA check? A Credit Reference check is often standard for those working in these industries. At certain levels within finance related organisations there may be temptation for employees to work with accomplices to defraud insurance companies so they check for debt history, CCJs etc to see whether you may represent a higher risk.

It is fair to point out though that a formal Caution is likely to be disclosed on either form of CRB check if you ever have to apply for one - it also needs to be considered if you are thinking of getting a Visa to travel to certain countries such as the USA. You do not however need to disclose it yourself if asked whether you have any criminal convictions.

You should however have filled in a form giving permission if they are checking either for CRA or CRB.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Sorry for the late reply, well all she asked was my passport and a POA so i said my driving licence which was cool i NEVER filled out any forms to request this so what should i do, what if it is a CRB and what if its something else

Please my interview is as 14:30 so a reply before 13:00 would be gratefull

Thanks

Ben

Sorry for the late reply, well all she asked was my passport and a POA so i said my driving licence which was cool i NEVER filled out any forms to request this so what should i do, what if it is a CRB and what if its something else

Please my interview is as 14:30 so a reply before 13:00 would be gratefull

Thanks

Ben

For a CRB check, you are required to complete a fairly long form and then present this form with the required forms of ID - which the person you give them to then has to write the details onto the form and sign it.

CRB checks are mainly for working with children and vulnerable adults, not the insurance industry, so I believe that this is not a CRB check, but proof of ID and address. You are likely to be subjected to a checks of the CRAs (ie credit check) to work in finance/insurance. CRA will not have any knowledge of cautions or convictions

Congratulations on getting the job - you should be fine if that was the feedback that you had from the interview.

From the CRB Website

Standard Disclosure

This is primarily available to anyone involved in working with children or vulnerable adults, as well as certain other occupations and entry into professions as specified in the Exceptions Order to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) 1974. Standard Disclosures show current and spent convictions, cautions, reprimands and warnings held on the Police National Computer. If the post involves working with children or vulnerable adults, the following may also be searched:

• Protection of Children Act (POCA) List Protection of Vulnerable Adults (POVA) List
  • Information that is held under Section 142 of the Education Act 2002 (formerly known as List 99)

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Yes & it will show on your CRB file for life.

This fact is the subject of much debate amongst civil liberty groups as even a serious conviction will eventually be expunged but not a simple caution - A situation NOT realized by this government when they introduced the CRB.

Also should you wish to visit you will NOT be permitted entry to the USA which has already happened to a family who's child had received a caution & where made to return home not having left the USA airport

Useful Information:-

Question : What is a police caution and how long does it last?

A caution is a formal warning that is given to an adult who has admitted the offence. If the person refuses the caution then they will normally be prosecuted through the normal channels for the offence.

Although it is not technically classed as a conviction it can be taken into consideration by the Courts if the person is convicted of a further offence.

Answer : Cautions are not covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 so will never become spent. Depending on the type of offence they are 'stepped down' after a set period of time (5 or 10 years). This basically means that they will only be visible to police staff and not other agencies who do checks. The exception to this is if a person is the subject of an Enhanced Disclosure and then if relevant it will be disclosed.

Even after five/ten years the caution can still be disclosed if you apply for certain types of jobs, i.e. police, teacher, or jobs working with children and vulnerable adults. It will be disclosed if it is relevant to the job you are applying for.

Question : I want to travel to America but I have got a conviction/been arrested, can I still travel there?

Answer :

The USA have a visa waiver programme for any person holding passports from certain countries (British passports are included) as long as that person has never been arrested.

If you have been arrested you must declare it whether or not that arrest resulted in conviction. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 does not extend to the USA so you must declare all convictions regardless of whether they are classed as spent or not.

Most minor road traffic offences that were dealt with by way of fixed penalty (i.e. no arrest or court appearance) do not count and you will be eligible to travel under the visa waiver programme.

If you have been arrested/convicted then you must apply for a visa from the US Embassy in London before you travel to the USA. Failure to have a visa means that you could be refused entry and returned home at your own expense. It is not neccessarily the case that you will never be able to enter the US (just to correct JonChris) - just that you must apply for permission by way of a Visa first.

It therefore follows that prior to the step down a Caution will show on a Basic or Enhanced CRB, but after step down it will appear only on an enhanced CRB if it is relevant to the purpose for which the CRB is being requested. It is never 'spent'. You cannot enter the USA on the Visa Waiver scheme but may still be able to do so if you apply for a Visa before travelling.

Your new employer has told you that you should be OK if that is all that is on the CRB - I can't see why you would have been told that unless it is true, so you shouldn't need to worry too much.

DONATE HERE

Excellent sidewinder & yes I agree you MUST apply for visa before travelling but in most recent cases where cautions have been declared visa's have been refused

Perhaps a mod would/should make sidewinders post a sticky?:)

As more & more holiday makers are being stopped from entering the USA at the point of entry travel companies should make holiday makers more aware of the requirements.:mad:

American holiday companies call the 'War on Terror' the 'War on Tourists':rolleyes:

to be honest that dosnt suprise me lol Amercian tenb to blow everything out of preprotion i know this as a good mate of mine is from Honolulu but i dont have any plans of living in USA lol got to much down here for that but i know i can go on holiday their, thats all that matters