What's my right's?

avinalaf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5929 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi y'all, I'm a newby to this forum, but I hope someone can help.

Ive just bought a new property and the waste pipe for the washing machine was fitted incorrectly resulting in a flood. It's ruined new pair of curtains and 7 pictures. The builders say I have to provide reciepts but I can't find one for the curtains and the pictures are from my previous house so I have none for them either. Can anyone advise?:-?

This is not the only problem I've had and I've only been in 4 weeks:cry:

The builders will have to estimate the cost of damage with your satisfaction.

The fact there is no receipts doesn't mean no damage has taken place.

What if you bought some of the paintings from a friend or family member? Are you expected to demand a receipt from your own mum?:-?

Thinking of it, what if you were given a painting? It is still a loss to you but of worth.

• Haha 1

You do not have to provide receipts, but merely estimates of the cost of replacements. If it went to court, they would (more than likely) place a judgement in your favour, and would not question the costs you were reclaiming (iif they were not hugely excessive). The reason these builders want receipts is due to them knowing you probably won't have any or will not be able to find them, and then they can refuse - but it doesn't discharge them in their obligation to replace the items or the cost you have incurred through their negligence and poor workmanship!!

if you did want to take this further, then I would provide them with estimates of the cost of replacements (bearing in mind you have to show that you are not replacing items of a higher value for those of a lower) and advise them that this is what is satisfactory. Remember to get it all in writing, and if they refuse ask them to put it in writing. When you recieve this, lodge an order at the small claims court and provide the letters which have been sent between the two and they will have to provide a valid legal defence as to why they are not willing to carry out their obligations. They will either ignore it (in which case you win by default and a CCJ will be issued to them) or settle out of court! In the unlikely event they defend it, they may not even show up on the day (in which case, you will more than likely win) or the judge will not be impressed with such a clear cut case. Hopefully it won't get that far, but stand your ground - you're in the right!!

• Haha 1

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

Sorry to hear about the recent flooding made by the washer, why you seeking the builders replace the damaged items, can you not claim from your contents insurance....the curtains can be just washed, or dry cleaned, how the pictures became damaged i'm trying to wonder ?

The recifing of the waste pipe will be covered under builders insurance, the workmen will just re-do the work to make all safe....

All talk about the possiblie of court and judges etc etc are far far away, it will be settled before any such action will be deemed nessary.....

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the great advice, I recieved a cheque for £140 today for the damage to the brand new curtains and the pictures that were still stacked against the wall ready for hanging. I did'nt claim from my insurance because I did not want to lose my no claims discounts and did not think I should as the problem was not made by me. I also did not think I should have to put up with cleaning a pair of curtains that had only been hung for a day and were a matching pair.

So thanks again!! :)