MOT / Tax Query

scorterooney
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5975 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

NOt sure if this is the correct place to post but it seemed the most logical.

My MOT runs out on the 28th January and i need to buy tax for first of next month.

Will i be able to buy my tax disc at the post office on the 28th january (as its pay day) using the MOT certificate which has an expiry date of the 28th feb ?

Thanks in advance

You contradict yourself there. When does your MOT expire Jan or Feb? :)

I don't know if it's the law but my post office will not let you tax a vehicle without one month left on the MOT. If yours runs to end of Feb I would try to Tax it should be ok

You contradict yourself there. When does your MOT expire Jan or Feb? :)

I don't know if it's the law but my post office will not let you tax a vehicle without one month left on the MOT. If yours runs to end of Feb I would try to Tax it should be ok

lol - your right - i do - cu s i type quicker than my brain works lol.

My mot runs out on th 28th and i was hoping to get my tax on the same date that the mot runs out

In that case not a chance I'm afraid. You will need at least one month left on MOT.

Your local post office is wrong, you do not require a full month left on an MOT to tax it. The following is taken from DVLA website;

"MOT test certificate

You must produce an MOT test certificate that is valid on the day the tax disc comes into force. A certificate that expires on the last day of the month eg 30 April cannot be used if the tax disc is to start on the first day of the following month eg 1 May."

Yes, wino's Post Office is wrong, there is no requirement for a minimum of one month left on the current MoT for the issue of a VED. But, as pat quite rightly points out it is immaterial anyway.

What I don't understand, scorterooney, why don't you MoT your car before the current Mot expires?

I know why! He may want to keep the car on a public highway before the MOT is renewed. He may not have off-road parking.

It's not an offence to keep a car on a highway, so long as the road fund licence is paid.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

I know why! He may want to keep the car on a public highway before the MOT is renewed. He may not have off-road parking.

It's not an offence to keep a car on a highway, so long as the road fund licence is paid.

Well if that is the case, (I'm not convinced he would get away without an MoT if parked on the highway), he could actually tax the car today using the MoT he has for six or twelve months from the beginning of THIS month, even though there is a current tax disc running for this vehicle.

Yes, wino's Post Office is wrong, there is no requirement for a minimum of one month left on the current MoT for the issue of a VED. But, as pat quite rightly points out it is immaterial anyway.

What I don't understand, scorterooney, why don't you MoT your car before the current Mot expires?

so that i have valid road tax to leave the car on the road till i can afford the MOT when i get my first weeks wages at begining of Feb.

Dunno how legal it is but there seems to be a rogue neighbour who has reported a couple of cars down our street for no road tax - i just figure they can see the road tax disc but they cant see the MOT certificate, and as i can only afford to pay for one untill i get paid for my new job at the begining of feb it shoukld keep the neighbour at bay lol

Cheers for the advice everone

Well if that is the case, (I'm not convinced he would get away without an MoT if parked on the highway), he could actually tax the car today using the MoT he has for six or twelve months from the beginning of THIS month, even though there is a current tax disc running for this vehicle.

Unfortunatley he can't as all the Post Offices are linked to the DVLA and they'll question why he's taxing a car he already owns and is registered to him whilst it's already taxed.

The poster is quite right as to the MOT only legally required to be current on the day the vehicle is taxed.

As for keeping a vehicle on the public highway without an MOT certificate it is a requirement that any elligable vehicle that is kept on the public highway has a current MOT certificate.

Sorry but you'll need to MOT your car before you tax it :(

Regards

Chris:)

Unfortunatley he can't as all the Post Offices are linked to the DVLA and they'll question why he's taxing a car he already owns and is registered to him whilst it's already taxed.

Regards

Chris:)

Sorry, but that is incorrect. Consider this: Today you buy a vehicle that is (unknown to you) taxed, however the seller is not including the tax disc in the sale and is going to refund the duty after he has sold the car. Are you suggesting that the new owner will be refused a VED until the refund process has gone through? I don't think so.

Another thing to consider: A vehicle you have owned for years is taxed, and you decide today to take it off the road and send the tax disc back for a refund. You put it in the post on Monday morning. Tuesday morning you need to use the vehicle and want to re-tax it. DVLA at that point will not be aware that you have sent the disc in. Are you suggesting that you would find it impossible to tax the vehicle? I can assure you you would obtain a tax disc.

Anyway, I myself about a year ago taxed one of my fleet of vans by mistake one month early and the Post Office took my money happily, although there was still one month of tax running on the vehicle. Nothing was ever heard from DVLA.

I thought the PO used pre-printed tax discs - for the first 15 days of the month they use this months, and for the last 15 days they use next months (+6/+12)... ie it's so unusual that someone would want a Jun08 disc at the end of january that they would have thrown them away to prevent mistakes.

I think this led to the misunderstanding that you had two weeks to tax a car after your tax ran out, simply because that was the only tax you could buy at the PO. Golden days when the law was more tolerant of people.

If that were the case, try a PO asap...

Or if you want a tax disc to start on 1st Feb, you can purchase that disc on the last two days of January (30th or 31st).

Technically you shouldn't use the car on the road until 00:01 on 1st Feb, but I doubt you'd get in trouble for it.

Or if you want a tax disc to start on 1st Feb, you can purchase that disc on the last two days of January (30th or 31st)..

The OP's vehicle will not have a current MOT on those dates, therefore would be unable to tax it on the dates you quote.

Technically you shouldn't use the car on the road until 00:01 on 1st Feb, but I doubt you'd get in trouble for it.

Rediculous statement, if someone was to follow your advice and they were to get caught, they would most certainly be in trouble for doing so. Therefore is it really worth taking the risk?

I've been told you need a valid MOT and insurance to keep a car on the road, even if it is not being driven. I got clamped last week for no road tax as i moved the car from a private place for a few days and was told that i could potentially be taken to court for no insurance.

There is case law to support this. As long as the wheels can turn, it needs insurance and MOT, even if totally broken down and not driveable.

As for keeping a vehicle on the public highway without an MOT certificate it is a requirement that any elligable vehicle that is kept on the public highway has a current MOT certificate.

AND valid insurance.

I got clamped last week for no road tax as i moved the car from a private place for a few days and was told that i could potentially be taken to court for no insurance.

When you say you moved it, did you drive it without insurance? That does sound illegal.

If I had a car that needed modifications for, say an MOT, and I had no intention of driving it until I had an MOT test booked and was driving to it, I would consider insurance pointless until then. But it does appear that I'd be expected to insure it as the car may be being 'used', even if that specifically excludes being driven.

I've always treated insurance as something that a person has whilst driving, but it seems that it has morphed into something that a car requires. An example being that the car insurance needs to be shown to obtain a tax disc.

When you say you moved it, did you drive it without insurance? That does sound illegal.

I've always treated insurance as something that a person has whilst driving, but it seems that it has morphed into something that a car requires. An example being that the car insurance needs to be shown to obtain a tax disc.

Not driving, reversed from driveway into road for collection. Got clamped half an hour later, 1 metre from private road (what are the chances?).

As for insurance, that's what the DVLA guys told me. They even asked have you MOT and insurance and i asked why, i don't drive it as it's broken down.

Even if you have insurance with no tax disc, it becomes invalid. So you can still get done.

Just because a vehicle does not have a current tax disc, this does not invalidate the insurance. After all you are allowed to drive an insured vehicle without VED to a pre-booked MOT. Lets stick to facts and not myths.

Different thing. That is ONLY a pre-booked appointment for MOT or for repairs required for an MOT.

Parked car requires MOT and insurance certificate.

Pumbien v Vines (1995) June 14 Queen's Bench Divisional Court.

"A motor car parked on a road was being used on the road for the purposes of sections 47 and 143 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 even if it was totally immobilised and could only be moved by being dragged away, and, therefore, required both a valid MOT certificate and an insurance policy".

The Court so held in dismissing an appeal by way of case stated by Andee Pumbien against his conviction of offences of using a motor vehicle on a road without either a valid test certificate or insurance policy contrary to sections 47(1) and 143(1) of the 1988 act.