Too Many Posts Going Unanswered: Your Help Needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4594 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

That's bad - and I'm sure there are lots of others like me who only respond if they think they can help. New attitude taken on board:p

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, we'd rather that than having someone go unhelped or ignored. When you report a post, the link gets given in the report, it only take a couple of minutes to click on the link, read the post, if your advice is spot on, to say "like wot she says" (if you want us to) or to add something if you missed something vital, or to leave the thread if someone else has already intervened.

Honestly, don't even think twice about it, it's no bother and it does help. Like I said, you'd be surprised how quickly you won't need to double-check yourself. Take it from a foreign housewife who found herself answering questions on UK contract law, it does get easier. :razz:

No, we'd rather that than having someone go unhelped or ignored. When you report a post, the link gets given in the report, it only take a couple of minutes to click on the link, read the post, if your advice is spot on, to say "like wot she says" (if you want us to) or to add something if you missed something vital, or to leave the thread if someone else has already intervened.

Honestly, don't even think twice about it, it's no bother and it does help. Like I said, you'd be surprised how quickly you won't need to double-check yourself. Take it from a foreign housewife who found herself answering questions on UK contract law, it does get easier. :razz:

Like wot she says!:-D

But would doing that not overburden the already overworked mods and site helpers? I have done that if I think there is an urgent need, but not if it is a fairly simple question that someone other than me could give a much better response to.

Not at all.

Bear in mind that the major part of advice given in these forums is given, not by team members, but by other users who are actively engaged in dealing with the same sort of problems.

It does, in fact, lighten the load, considerably.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Well, I'm back from my hols so I'll get back to my answering of 0 posts - I await correction on the threads at the mods leisure :D

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Guest Old_andrew2018

Hi

I have noted Michael Browne "too many posts going unanwsered" , one question however how long should one wait before bumping a post, does doing this ensure the O P gets a reply or I suppose moves up thread back to the top.

I have been told by a member that these are actions are of a Troll/Spammer,

That depends, really. I posted a query yesterday which only got an answer today and that's ok, it wasn't that urgent. On the other hand, the chap who posted the other day at 8 am and was in tribunal at 3 pm, well, if there has been no answer after 1 hour, I'd bump it. As usual, there's no fast rule.

The troll/spamming thing? It might be true in a site where there's commercial interests in getting it back in view, but on this forum where it's all about helping one another, I doubt anyone would see it that way. ;-)

That depends, really. I posted a query yesterday which only got an answer today

Sorry Bookie :oops:

Note to self: MUST TRY HARDER!:p

Guest louis wu
I have been told by a member that these are actions are of a Troll/Spammer,

I'm not sure this would apply to a 'new' thread with only one (or even a couple ) post. I think the advice you recieved would apply when a member just keeps answering his own posts, probably more provocatively than before, in the hope that it stirs others to defend themselves, their beliefs, CAG etc.

I can't see the harm in making a reply to any post, if however, it transpires to be a troll/flaming post, then ignore it and unsubscribe.

Louis

Guest louis wu

I do find, that answering these more 'dificult' posts that most others steer clear of is mentally exhausting.

I spend more time googling words/phrases etc and trying to get my head around what the OP needs as a reply. Yes the fail safe of a bump is a good fall back, but it's nice to make the effort to find some answers first, as I'm sure we all do.

I find sometimes, that I've spent over an hour on a post, only to find nothing worthwhile to post. Is this just me, or is anyone else finding the same?

louis

No, I would completely agree - I must ahve loked at about 10 posts over the last 24 hours which I felt I couldn't help with and as they were relatively recent (within an hour or two) and not urgent, I didn't answer them.

It may sound stupid, but I didn't see any poin in bumping when they were that new - if they are still here now, i will do just that.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Guest louis wu

To be honest, I rarely even look at the posts which are under a day old, for exactly the reason you've just mentioned.

I know that I'm making a lot less posts recently (not that I mind....it's not as if they pay the mortgage:)), but at least it's with the right intentions and is quite rewarding in it's own way.

louis

I find sometimes, that I've spent over an hour on a post, only to find nothing worthwhile to post. Is this just me, or is anyone else finding the same?

louis

No, its not just you, louise. I do that and find someone else has given the answer it took me forever to find.
:p

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

I do find, that answering these more 'dificult' posts that most others steer clear of is mentally exhausting.

I spend more time googling words/phrases etc and trying to get my head around what the OP needs as a reply. Yes the fail safe of a bump is a good fall back, but it's nice to make the effort to find some answers first, as I'm sure we all do.

louis

Funnily enough, this one has me stumped:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/132645-birthdays.html

:D:p

Guest louis wu

No, its not just you, louise. I do that and find someone else has given the answer it took me forever to find.

NOT LOUISE:o, louis.....definately MALE:D, and not Chinese:D.

Louis wu is the character from Ringworld, hugo and nebula award winning sci-fi, and my favourite book.

NOT
LOUISE:o,
louis.....definately MALE:D, and not Chinese:D.

Louis wu is the character from Ringworld, hugo and nebula award winning sci-fi, and my favourite book.

Sorry Louis,
:oops:
It's these new spec's.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Guest louis wu

Sorry Louis,
:oops:
It's these new spec's.

Lol, should be used to it by now, your not the first:)...that's what I get for picking a dodgy user name.

NOT LOUISE:o, louis.....definately MALE:D, and not Chinese:D.

Ooops, I thought you were Chinese too. :shock: (I did know you were a boy, though, good French name, that)

NOT LOUISE:o, louis.....definitely MALE.
Are U QUITE sure lw??...:o

...Many of your Post are of a very non-gender, A-sexual sounding nature, which may be confusing to peeps...:confused:

I've always thought of U as a bl**dy good egg old chap!...:oops:

btw...Happy CAG 2nd Birthday-to-be... :)

...:D

• Haha 1

...Many of your Post are of a very non-gender, A-sexual sounding nature, which may be confusing to peeps...:confused:

That's the plan MTM, a lot of people are under the illusion that Caro and myself may be male :o

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

What could help also, with regards to people wanting to reply to 0 replies posts but have no knowledge of the subject, are stickies. I know, I know- too much stickies makes for a messy forum but majority of forums are all right when it comes to stickies and could accommodate few more stickies easily. Some stickies could now be out of date and should be removed- only mods can do that. Also there are stickies which carry important messages, useful links to further resources etc.

I tell you what happens to me- I suffer from "reinventing the wheel" fatigue. I have answered so many posts about the same subject that I cannot do it anymore. I get annoyed, I get frustrated, I finally either give up or write patronising, ****y little answer. Yeah, I am not perfect, despite many years of seeing clients with same questions, over and over again. I can counter-act this at work, as we have leaflets, templates and guides on many subjects- but here stickies should perform this role.

I am not saying that such kind of frustration with posters is OK but it happens- we all get bored sometimes.

So stickies may help.

I have been asking for some posts to be made sticky, for example http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html#post1339306 and http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/special-needs-disability-etc/123950-disability-sen-self-help.html#post1287631 for some time now.

As we grow, we need to adapt. There is no realistic chance of posts being answered with the same promptness as they were in March 2006 and the numbers of posts are only going to grow, because there is a great hunger for self-help, mutual support and sharing personal experiences types of websites and CAG is at the forefront of this.

Stick that up :)

• Haha 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think stickies are a good thing. I'm still fairly new to this forum and I'm sure I can offer help to others as others have helped me. By putting a link to a sticky on an op s thread I can point them in the right direction even if it is a subject I am not too clued up about.:)