several parking tickets to claim- what next

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5970 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi,

I've been searching the forums for some practical advice as to what to do to claim back a few parking tickets from the last few years, but can't find any actual guidelines of what to do to get the money back.

is there a thread already up that someone can link me to that explains this?

basically, I've had about 3 or 4 tickets, both from the wakefield district council and NCP, a couple of which have escalated to hundreds of pounds due to court orders etc being sent to my previous address and me knowing nothing of the escalating charges.

main problem is that I'm no longer in possession of a couple of the offending articles, is there a way I can get copies of these tickets from the council/courts?

also, who do I approach to claim the money back?

do i have to take them to court? or should I first approach the council/ncp about the matter?

would be greatful for any help.

hi,

I've been searching the forums for some practical advice as to what to do to claim back a few parking tickets from the last few years, but can't find any actual guidelines of what to do to get the money back.

is there a thread already up that someone can link me to that explains this?

basically, I've had about 3 or 4 tickets, both from the wakefield district council and NCP, a couple of which have escalated to hundreds of pounds due to court orders etc being sent to my previous address and me knowing nothing of the escalating charges.

main problem is that I'm no longer in possession of a couple of the offending articles, is there a way I can get copies of these tickets from the council/courts?

also, who do I approach to claim the money back?

do i have to take them to court? or should I first approach the council/ncp about the matter?

would be greatful for any help.

On what grounds are you claiming the money back?

Krimewave

Have you notified the DVLA of the change of address. If you have and the council are sending to your old address then I suspect you have grounds for getting the any extra charges removed. Even if you haven't you could still claim to have not been served with the documents and there is some recourse. Some of the other forum members can no doubt advise on this.

Can you be more specific about the type of tickets you've had. The council will more than likely have issued Penalty Charge Notices.

You've mentioned NCP. If you received a "ticket" from them it may or may not be enforcable. If you received a ticket from NCP acting on behalf of a council they will have issued you with a Penalty Charge Notice under the 1991 Road Traffic Act.

In either case you should have a trawl throught this thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/5232-your-parking-ticket-may.html as a starting to see if you have any validity to challenge the PCN.

If NCP have issued with a private parking ticket and then gone to court to claiming breach of contract to obtain a judgement against you then I believe you have grounds to appeal. As I understand it you have a right to a defense and if they have not served you with proper documents then you should be able to get any judgement set aside until a case is heard.

Council issued PCNs should be available under the Data Protection Act. They may have a procedure for obtaining copies on their website. If they don't write to them making a subject access request and request all the data. The maximum fee they can charge for this is £10.

Finally can you scan whatever tickets you do have as the good folks on this forum will be only to happy to help you pick them apart. You should obscure your name and address but leave everything else as is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Krimewave

Have you notified the DVLA of the change of address. If you have and the council are sending to your old address then I suspect you have grounds for getting the any extra charges removed. Even if you haven't you could still claim to have not been served with the documents and there is some recourse. Some of the other forum members can no doubt advise on this.

Can you be more specific about the type of tickets you've had. The council will more than likely have issued Penalty Charge Notices.

You've mentioned NCP. If you received a "ticket" from them it may or may not be enforcable. If you received a ticket from NCP acting on behalf of a council they will have issued you with a Penalty Charge Notice under the 1991 Road Traffic Act.

In either case you should have a trawl throught this thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/parking-traffic-offences/5232-your-parking-ticket-may.html as a starting to see if you have any validity to challenge the PCN.

If NCP have issued with a private parking ticket and then gone to court to claiming breach of contract to obtain a judgement against you then I believe you have grounds to appeal. As I understand it you have a right to a defense and if they have not served you with proper documents then you should be able to get any judgement set aside until a case is heard.

Council issued PCNs should be available under the Data Protection Act. They may have a procedure for obtaining copies on their website. If they don't write to them making a subject access request and request all the data. The maximum fee they can charge for this is £10.

Finally can you scan whatever tickets you do have as the good folks on this forum will be only to happy to help you pick them apart. You should obscure your name and address but leave everything else as is.

excellent mate, thanks.

I'll search out whatever tickets I do have and read the thread you linked.

thanks again.