• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help needed please! CCJ's GE money via LINK.

deb4tlj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

right then

so, the windows are faulty,the assignment is flawed albeit that link could apply to the court to have the OC (GE CAPITAL) added to the claim , there were no cancellation rights even though they insist that its on the bottom of the form THEY sent you:confused:

there are a lot of issues here, i have asked somone who knows a lot more than me in contractual law to look in to give me an opinion on the liability under s75 .

it may be the case that another letter is needed to be sent to them

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Paul. I do appreciate everyone's help in this. My husband and I were told last Friday by his consultant that he has severe degenerative arthritis down the full length of the spine and that his condition will only worsen resulting eventually in him probably being wheelchair bound (he's only 61). I have all this on my plate at the moment and the last thing I need is more hassle from Link. We are more than willing to pay what we owe but I refuse to pay the exorbitant charges added to the account and their ridiculous fees!

"Never annoy a redhead - especially when she's a member of CAG!"

Thats good.

It could have taken weeks to find that type of info out if you did not phone them.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I have to admit that I am feeling slightly overwhelmed and frightened by the thought of having to go to court to argue this. :(

Hi deb4tlj

this is the main thing that has been bothering me too,

this is why i advocated getting in contact with a solicitor for a free 30 minute consultation. i would also explore the legal aid with the solicitor, you may be pleasently surprised.

if you cannot find a solicitor who can help offer you advice i can give you another line for exploration.

College of Law - Do you need Legal Advice?

on the left hand side of the page you will see a box with locations IE North,south etc

select the location nearest to you, it will take you to a contact page,

its for the college of law, the teaching institution which educates nearly all lawyers and they offer free legal advice in the first instance

however they would not represent you in court, this is why i would go for a sol first

i feel you have a good arguement here, and also may have a counterclaim for the costs to put the windows right. so i think with the advice of a lawyer you may have enough there to make link give up

its gotta be worth a try

regards

paul

Only had a quick read through here whilst looking for a letter but, just a little observation, there is a £65 'acceptance fee'

Being compulsory should this not have been included in the charge for credit?

If you find my advice helpful - please click on my scales

<<<<<< - they're over there!

Well, it's a funny black star now ...

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

Apparently we're not entitled to legal aid and I am currently awaiting a free 30 minute consultation on the phone with my Union's legal reps. Received paperwork from the local county court this morning with an "Allocation Questionnaire" which has to be back at the court for 28th February. Any advice on how to fill this in? Looks like Link are going to take this the whole way. :(

Hi Deb

Which AQ is it? is it a N149 or 150?

ah good, most unions have sols, dont forget to point out the points we have raised as they are very valid and also tell them that link are NOT allowed to take this action as they ONLY have an equitable assignment and therefore they should have brought the creditor in on the action . i would certainly make them aware of these points and see what their views were

good luck

Upon reading through the form I'm thinking I should tick yes for the "settlement" part to buy some more time to find a sol willing to take this one?

yes, you can do that, but if you do make sure you write to them asking how they would like to conduct negotiations

edit, I've aked paul - pt2537 to have a look at the thread, to see if there is a reasonable offer you can make.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Hi Deb,

Maybe worth thinking about contacting them and pointing out that the windows are faulty, therefore you would like them to correct the issues or you would like them to look at offsetting the cost of repairing the faults against the cost of their claim

after all the creditor has joint liability for these issues, plus they would have to draw GE money into the claim to have any rights to this action

worth a thought

Has anyone mentioned the £65(+10yrs interest) EDIT: actually looking at it the £65 is added onto the 1st payment so I suppose strictly there is no 10yrs interest added 'acceptance' fee/charge debited from the account at inception.

Should that not be included in the Total Charge for Credit?

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

Has anyone mentioned the £65(+10yrs interest) 'acceptance' fee/charge debited from the account at inception.

Should that not be included in the Total Charge for Credit?

i will take a look in the law library to see what i can find on this subject

Si 1980/51 ?

From section k of the Agreement

The customer may not make and repayment in excess of what is set out above except that once every month the customer may pay an amount on top of and at the same time of no more than twice the monthly repayment as shown in letter i above. If any overpayment is made outside if these limits it will be returned to the customer.

is that an acceptable term under the CCA

From section k of the Agreement

is that an acceptable term under the CCA

Good question! So as far as I read this, then they have no right to demand the full amount in question according to their own terms in the cca?

Good question! So as far as I read this, then they have no right to demand the full amount in question according to their own terms in the cca?

:lol: if only - but I do like your thinking

but .... the CCA was really set up to protect consumers and that term seems very restrictive and certainly not in the interests of the consumer.

I haven't got a clue about it :( I was hoping that 'those in the know' may have seen something like it before and have an answer one way or the other.

:lol: if only - but I do like your thinking

but .... the CCA was really set up to protect consumers and that term seems very restrictive and certainly not in the interests of the consumer.

I haven't got a clue about it :( I was hoping that 'those in the know' may have seen something like it before and have an answer one way or the other.

LOLOLOL No harm in trying! :D But you're right, it does seem an incredibly unfair term and geared towards making you pay the full 10 year term so they get every ounce of their pound of flesh!

hi, im not sure this on its own would render the whole agreement invalid, only lacking prescribed terms can do this

its well known under contract law that if a term is unlawful then that term could simply be ignored by the court and that wouldnt automatically mean the contract itself is void

how did your talk with your union people go?

also have you contacted your home insurance provider? often you can get help from your insurance co, its worth a call anyway

regards

paul

• Haha 1

Talking to the union sol this afternoon at 3pm. I'll let you all know what they say. I'll definitely look into ringing the home insurance provider.

excellent,

as i said point out the flaws in the assignment, the fact that there were no cancellation rights and their rather lame attempt to say that the cancel rights were on the bottom of the form, where it clearly is a direct debit mandate. so they were wrong there

also you should point out the fact that since the assignment is equitable, and therefore the creditor should be included in the action, you wanna point out the windows are flawed( tell them what the faults are) and could you consider a counterclaim for the costs of putting them right

if you can i would bet that link will shrivel up and dissappear;)