Living abroad - can UK resident husband's debt be passed on to foreign debt collector

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5412 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Once again a long title but I couldn't think how to summarise it.

AIC is chasing my husband for a business loan in his name only that he took out before we were married. They told me today that they are going to pass the matter on to the french authorities despite the fact that my husband is not resident in France either for tax or domicile. I live here with our children in a jointly owned house and he spends a few months a year here in between work in the film industry. Anybody know if they can do this?

Thanks

If it is a UK agreement then UK laws should apply to it. If they are saying that French laws apply then that is a different kettle of fish entirely. I doubt that there will be anyone on here that's an expert on Consumer Credit Law in France.

I suspect that there is an element of bluff here.

No, he wasn't saying French law applies just threatening to pass it to the French authorities. Personally can't see how he can but as there are 300,000 british people living in France I thought on the off chance, there might be someone else in the same situation. Thanks for your response anyway.

The process is simplified now - it used to be the case that in the UK the debt had to be registered with the High Court with appeal rights etc etc. It's all to do with the EU being one market. But as Vortex points out - that's if it gets to the enforcement stage. I doubt this will.

• 1 year later...

Iam planing to move to india for a year and I owe a lot of money to my creditors will they chase me for it.

my property are in joint names my wife and I and I also have a lot of equity .can they force a sale to recover the money

Edited by gordon1949
incomplete

Iam planing to move to india for a year and I owe a lot of money to my creditors will they chase me for it.

my property are in joint names my wife and I and I also have a lot of equity .can they force a sale to recover the money

It's a bit vague. As I understand it there is no way a debt can be passed to an Indian DCA, assuming such a thing exists. But, is your equity in UK?