• Tweets

• I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Feeling Sick about £60K of Debts!

harvest
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5774 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Right - thanks for the links to Photobucket.

I scanned the two agreements (Egg and First Direct) but I stupidly saved them as word and RTF docs - so now I guess I have to scan them again as GIFs or something for them to work with photobucket?

Oh how I long for the days of simple technology....a quill and parchment - still, in the days when a quill was the latest technology I guess I'd be heading for debtor's prison so there are advantages to the modern world. :)

Claim against First Direct - WON - 29th March 2007

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh how I long for the days of simple technology....a quill and parchment - still, in the days when a quill was the latest technology I guess I'd be heading for debtor's prison so there are advantages to the modern world. :)

Most of us would probably be in there with you harvest - we would have all had our Christmas dinner together:o

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Is there a way of uploading documents as opposed to jpegs or Gifs? Reason I ask is that scanned as a jpeg half the information disappears - whereas in word form - having edited out my personal details it looks like the document I received.

My PC crashed on New Year's Eve and I've only managed to get it back up and working today. I think I've attached a PDF scanned agreement to this post but although it says it's attached I can't see it in the message window?

I'm clearly doing something wrong here

first direct loan.pdf

Harvest, that's great thanks.

Well As all the prescribed terms are present this is an enforceable agreement.

Time to get a SAR in and see exactly what has been done with this account concerning charges etc.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

Thanks Ben -

I'm a bit confused about the purpose of the SAR in relation to a loan account - what should I be asking for? Is it just a stalling tactic?

Thanks again

The reasoning behind a SAR is to get ALL the information concerning this account.

So you want to see what charges have been applied, all the supporting paperwork, etc.

After all you only want to be repaying exactly what you owe and not the addition charges.

Thanks CurlyBen

On the First Direct Loan account I have now had a default notice and I'm worried that it's going to court.

What happens if a default notice is applied through the courts? Are you automatically made bankrupt? Do the Bailiffs call round? Does the court decide you have to pay it back some other way?

This is another reason why you need the SAR, as incorrect values on the default notice render it unlawful.

IF they start court action nothing is taken for granted.

Bankruptcy is something completely different, so don't panic there.

Now I they win they I enforce with bailiff action, but this isn't the only out come.

The method of repayment is at the courts order.

Thanks CurlyBen

On the First Direct Loan account I have now had a default notice and I'm worried that it's going to court.

What happens if a default notice is applied through the courts? Are you automatically made bankrupt? Do the Bailiffs call round? Does the court decide you have to pay it back some other way?

Again

..its unfortunate that the agreements look ok.....but if there are any unlawful penalties added to the account, then the issued defaults will be inaccurate. Everything on the default notice MUST comply with the 1983 Act or its amendments. therefore there may be a way out that way.

Are the default notices 100% legal ?

please try to post them

rgds

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Cheers Ben and Dave for your help - I have attached two default notices that I've received.

I am now starting to get scared. I received these between Christmas and New Year even though the dates are earlier than that. (My step dad posts them onto me).

I think this is probably the end game.

My current situation is as follows:

1. I will be paid just under £6k for work - the majority of which is owed out on the 14th Jan but it will take 3 days for this money to be available in my bank account (a basic account I have so it doesn't get mixed up with First Direct account)
  2. I have done some further work for which I will be paid in late February / early March. Possibly about £3.5k
  3. I have yet to pay tax on earnings of approx £10k for 2007-2008 and in total earnings might be about £17k for the tax year. I have been told by HMRC that I will receive a self assessment form but this hasn't arrived yet.
  4. I find out tomorrow when I have an interview for a job of approx £40k per annum - this came from an interview I had in late December in another part of the country. I was told that I didn't get the job I went for but would I consider being interviewed for an identical job covering a different region and that they would contact me on 7th January to arrange this interview.
  5. Can I buy some time until then given the CCA agreements and the attached Default Notices or is this like throwing my last remaining coins down the wishing well?

I am seriously beginning to consider BR as the option that my circumstances seem to be narrowing me down to. I think if this happens I would not be able to take up the job with the organisation re-interviewing me because it's a government agency and they would know about BR because of the tax code (as I understand it).

I am seriously low at the moment. I feel like everything is starting to close in on me - like some Dickens Novel with creditors chasing me towards debtors prison. Stupid I know but that's how I feel.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance.

I know I am by no means alone and if the financial analysts are to be believed there will be many thousands joining me (us) on CAG in the next couple of months.

FD Loan.pdf

Sainsbury's Loan.pdf

Incidentally, I have so far only received the two CCA agreements from First Direct re the Loan and Egg re the credit card - no other creditor has supplied these.

Hi Harvest.

These default notices

The first direct one l dont think can be classed as a proper agreement as it says

To remedy the breech you must pay us £XXXX before the 3rd December 2007

The signtaure of the document is dated the 4th December.

Also they have admitted they have added charges on the default notice.

The Sainsburys Deafult Notice.

Does this include any charges? I notice you have said you have not recieved a CCA from this company so l dont think they have operated within the law by sending you a default notice when they are the ones in Deafult

Please dont quote me on this tho as l am not expert on this type of thing. Maybe you should PM Curlyben or PT2537 and ask them to look at the deafult notices for you.

Chrissi

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Damm....paul beat me to it ...:).......again

I concour

If they have ended the contract with this and have passed you onto an inhouse debt management program or a dca then the debt may well be on the way to going......

Dave

** We would not seek a battle as we are, yet as we are, we say we will not shun it. (Henry V) **

see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,

Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:

Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George!'

:D If you think I have helped, informed, or amused you do the clickey scaley thing !! :D

Whoo

I got it rite. Sorry back to the thread if a company has not complied with a CCA request can they send someone a default notice?

Chrissi

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Whoo

I got it rite. Sorry back to the thread if a company has not complied with a CCA request can they send someone a default notice?

Chrissi

There isn't really a simple answer.

In theory NO, but as we well know it happens all to often.

So what can we do about it.

If they send us a deafult notice that is full of charges or if they send us a deafult notice when they are the ones in deafult?

Chrissi

Thanks everyone

Given the general consensus on one possibly dodgy default notice and one default notice sent without a CCA provided -

What practical steps should I be taking?

Just a quick update

From first direct a letter which states:

Dear Harvest

Re: 1st Account - Balance £2217.30 debit. Formal Overdraft Limit £0.00

Gold Card Balance £3,743.03. Arrears £110.00

Personal Loan, One payment of £374.01 in Arrears

I write with reference to the above accounts and further to your recent letter.

As the Personal Default Notice has now expired I have no alternative that to withdraw all of your banking facilities.

I now require the return of any unused cheques together with all first direct cards which you should cut in half for security reasons.

As I now require your payment proposals for the outstanding debt please complete and return the enclosed financial statement within the next seven days. Alternatively please advise me of any debt management company who may be dealing with this matter on your behalf.

Your sincerely

Credit Services

First Direct

Does this buy me some time with first Direct at least?

If they charge you £60 per year for a formal overdraft and then withdraw it because they have added charges and you've therefore breached your OD limit can you get the £60 back? My overdraft limit was £1500 but bounced direct debits pushed this to the balance at the top of their letter even though I'd asked them to stop DDs.

Have now received a full CCA agreement for the Sainsbury's loan - signature and terms and conditions look okay to me.

Struggling along at the moment - I hope everyone else on here is keeping their heads above water in this depressing month of January!