LG 42" Plasma and CURRYS attitude

MrRee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5943 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What applies here is the Sale of Goods Act. This entitles you to repair/replacement or refund (at the retailers choice) for faulty goods. Up to 6 months from the date of purchase, SoGA (ie the law) maintains that the fault was there at the time of purchase - unless the retailer can prove otherwise. Afetr 6 months, this burden of proof reverses

just a question really, after reading through SoGA i cannot find the word refund mentioned at any point, and to make sure i did an ALT+f search and no results.

am i just being stupid and not reading refund but in a differnt phrasing or does SoGA not at any point entitle you to a refund?

Guest Old_andrew2018
just a question really, after reading through SoGA i cannot find the word refund mentioned at any point, and to make sure i did an ALT+f search and no results.

am i just being stupid and not reading refund but in a differnt phrasing or does SoGA not at any point entitle you to a refund?

Hi

Why not try this link Sale of Goods Act Quick Facts - BERR

Here it talks about money back, although the word refund is used later on

I expect money back or refund mean the same thing, but who knows there may be a technical difference.

I recall returning an item which was faulty, and accepted as such by the manager however it was purchased from another store and she was insistant that I could

i) not have a refund and would need to take it to the original store many miles away, despite my contacting that branch first to confirm that I could

Sorry I have gone off on a tangent here to return to the point refunds are available under the legistration, however it is not unreasonable for a company refund to your credit or debit card if that is how you paid for the item.

It does but not in plain simple English - an understanding of contract law is required to be able to understand the Act properly.

Where it states that there is a breach of condition, then that means recission of the contract (which effectively means a refund). A breach of warranty traditionally allows for damages only (such as cost of replacement or cost of repair) but this has been changed so that the remedy is usually the repair itself.

Hope that clarifies the matter. There is a sticky somewhere on the sale of goods which is quite informative. It's a bit long (unavoidable) so I would grab a cuppa before reading.

thought that was the case

would really help both consumers and retailers if when writting these acts they actually used phrases and language that normal people use instead of legal jargon.

so correct me if i have this wrong

the only time that you are able to get a full refund under SoGA is if they break the contract itself ie.

a. the product is not fit for purpose ie, it says it makes toast on the box but it is actually a VCR

b. i am mis sold the item, same as above but i spicifiacally ask for a toaster and the saleperson sells me a VCR telling me it makes toast

c. the item is faulty at the point of purchase.

d. the things that i have forgot to add to this list.

please let me know

thanks

Guest Old_andrew2018
thought that was the case

would really help both consumers and retailers if when writting these acts they actually used phrases and language that normal people use instead of legal jargon.

so correct me if i have this wrong

the only time that you are able to get a full refund under SoGA is if they break the contract itself ie.

a. the product is not fit for purpose ie, it says it makes toast on the box but it is actually a VCR

b. i am mis sold the item, same as above but i spicifiacally ask for a toaster and the saleperson sells me a VCR telling me it makes toast

c. the item is faulty at the point of purchase.

d. the things that i have forgot to add to this list.

please let me know

thanks

Here is another usful link Consumer Direct - Electrical and gas appliances

The advice here is a bit less muddy, still vague.

However its still worth pushing the retailer what have you got to lose, I am sure many would rather bluff their customers.