• Tweets

• Just a typo change that I'd make for the last line. Maybe also add something that says "I assume you will be fully aware that you cannot rely on a clause of a contract that you do not produce."
    • Hello, Firstly, and most importantly I am sorry for your loss. I would go back to the bank with the death certificate and ask them to step in. Remind them firmly but politely that there is no limit for DD claims   Please let us know how you get on.
    • My wife is the named person to his bank account with him having Dementia being his daughter (I say named person she still is but he recently passed away and the deputyship application has now being stopped by the solicitor as it's no longer needed) We've only just got the Death Certificate so the bank will be the next step informing them. She went to the bank and explained the situation but even being his named person the bank said she didn't have the power to stop DD without any legal documents (virgin money) was the bank. She could have copies of bank statements that was about it.
    • I see you said you tried to stop the DD but it seems that didn't work. May I please ask why that didn't work? You should be asking your bank to cancel the DD and I don't see why they would have objected, hopefully you can clarify this. I agree that you should be making a claim here against your bank and ask them for a DD refund. There is no timeframes for this.
    • JK: Yeah That's correct. We left rent payment coming out of his bank account from January 2023 - August 2023 until we could find somewhere to sort out his belongings which was fine. I tried to give notice a few times from August 2023 asking for advice from Sanctuary housing how we went about this explaining his condition and that he was in a Nursing home from December 2022. I explained we don't have any legal powers to his account like POT but were in the process of going for Deputyship and that I was the named person to act on his behalf to speak with Santuary housing. I said we could provide details of his condition and proof he was now in a nursing home with date he moved in. This went ignored despite repeated attempts to contact them until a housing manager contacted us end of February 2024 and notice was finally accepted with his tenancy coming to an end March 22 2024. Although they have continued to take rental payments for the flat despite someone else living in it from the 1st April. I wasn't aware payments were still being taken till I checked his May banks statements. I had asked them to back date rental payments to August 2023 when I gave notice rather than just giving notice in March 2024 but they've ignored that bit. I don't see why they shouldn't give it back they've taken money they shouldn't have. Thanks DX, I wasn't aware we could do that for that length of time. I'll ask my wife to check with the bank this week
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Creditor failed to provide CCA now commencing collection

albertini
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6033 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

section 64 cca states

64. Duty to give notice of cancellation rights.

— (1) In the case of a cancellable agreement, a notice in the prescribed form indicating the right of the debtor or hirer to cancel the agreement, how and when that right is exercisable, and the name and address of a person to whom notice of cancellation may be given,— (a)

must be included in every copy given to the debtor or hirer under section 62 or 63, and

(b)

except where section 63(2) applied, must also be sent by post to the debtor or hirer within the seven days following the making of the agreement.

(2) In the case of a credit-token agreement, a notice under subsection (1)(b) need not be sent by post within the seven days following the making of the agreement if either— (a)

it is sent by post to the debtor or hirer before the credit-token is given to him, or

(b)

it is sent by post to him together with the credit-token.

(3) Regulations may provide that except where section 63(2) applied a notice sent under subsection (1)(b) shall be accompanied by a further copy of the executed agreement, and of any other document referred to in it.

(4) Regulations may provide that subsection (1)(b) is not to apply in the case of agreements such as are described in the regulations, being agreements made by a particular person, if— (a)

on an application by that person to the Director, the Director has determined that, having regard to—

(i) the manner in which antecedent negotiations for agreements with the applicant of that description are conducted, and

(ii) the information provided to debtors or hirers before such agreements are made,

the requirement imposed by subsection (1)(b) can be dispensed with without prejudicing the interests of debtors or hirers; and

(b)

any conditions imposed by the Director in making the determination are complied with.

(5) A cancellable agreement is not properly executed if the requirements of this section are not observed.

and s127 which is what the courts look at with regards to their powers of enforcement says

(4) The court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) in the case of a cancellable agreement if— (a)

a provision of section 62 or 63 was not complied with, and the creditor or owner did not give a copy of the executed agreement, and of any other document referred to in it, to the debtor or hirer before the commencement of the proceedings in which the order is sought, or

(b)

section 64(1) was not complied with.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya,

If it is a cancellable agreement then the creditor has a duty to provide copy documents and with them cancellation rights, if this is not adhered to then it may be unenforcable by virtue of 127(4) of the Act.

If it is a cancellable agreement and no cancellation rights are even mentioned on the agreement they have contravened the regulations, thus predjudicing you, hence an enforcement order could be appealed against using s127(1) of the Act.

the question is, it is cancellable or non cancellable! For an agreeement to be non cancellable it must satisfy the following criteria:

Agreements that are secured on land.

Agreements that are signed at or within the creditors premise or place of work.

Agreements that have been signed by the detor without any prior face to face discussion with the creditor.

This wasn't signed by you on company premises, it is not secured on land and there was face to face discussion with the finance broker (as he was acting on behalf of creditor this counts as antecedent negotiations imo) For these reasons I think this is a cancellable agreement.

I'm not an expert on this particular subject and it may be because this is not a conventional regulated agreement but a conditional sale agreement there is something i am overlooking, for that reason I would wait for Peterbard to give his expert opinion on this.

kind regards,

shane

All advice is offered freely & without prejudice

If my post has been useful to you please click the scales

The agreement they have sent me is headed “Conditional Sale Agreement regulated by The Consumer Credit Act 1974”.

There is no mention of cancellation rights but there is a clause on termination only after £7900 has been paid.

A small clause on the document also says “before you sign you should read the terms of this agreement carefully including those on the following pages and that you understand them”.

They have not though provided the “following pages” so I cannot upload them to see what you think of them.

this would be covered by 127(4) shane if they had not supplied cancellation rights wouldnt it?

yes thats right

The agreement they have sent me is headed “Conditional Sale Agreement regulated by The Consumer Credit Act 1974”.

There is no mention of cancellation rights but there is a clause on termination only after £7900 has been paid.

A small clause on the document also says “before you sign you should read the terms of this agreement carefully including those on the following pages and that you understand them”.

They have not though provided the “following pages” so I cannot upload them to see what you think of them.

Hiya,

in that case they remain in default of the CCA request, they must provide the agreement as well as any document referred to in it, including all further t&c's they make mention of. If they havent they remain in default and as such cannot enforce the agreement

The letter from them i attached in one of my earlier posts and this is my proposed reply incorporating the points that people have rasied today.

Any comments welcome before i send it:

I am in receipt of your letter dated 9th November 2007 and accompanying documentation.

Allow me to begin by making my own points in response to the contents of your letter.

It seemed to me that there was an obvious attempt to muddy the waters at this stage (August 28th). This is because my initial letter of the 23rd July 2007 was a clear and unequivocal request under the CCA 1974 Act for documentation relating to the alleged agreement.

I note your comments regarding the potential breach of the Data Protection Act with wry amusement. Whilst I applaud YOUR competence in making sure that your company was not falling foul of the Data Protection Act, it is a shame your telephone operatives never felt the need to apply the same standards and vigorous compliance to this Act in the roughshod manner they attempted to contact and threaten me (and others that I work along side).

Hence my complaint to you about the breaches of both the law and the OFT guidelines that your staff made in their dealings with me.

I trust therefore, bearing in mind your clear and stated dedication to adhere to the Data Protection Act in your letter, and the witness statement you have (alongside my own version of events), you now accept that your nameless operatives fell foul of this and other Acts and acted in a very unprofessional manner. Not only do they give both your company and your industry a bad name they open you up to the possibility of further action by the controlling authorities in your industry.

In truth though, in your letter of the 28th August, it appeared strange to me that a Professional Solicitor could attempt to draw some ambiguity in what was clearly a bog standard CCA request, of which your office must now be receiving, and processing, hundreds, on a daily basis.

Your request for clarification on my part about this debt seemed no more than a thinly veiled attempt to draw me into acknowledging a debt against me with a company I did not know who had employed a Debt Collection Agency that I knew nothing of either.

My letter of the 23rd July 2007 clearly spelt out the CCA request, yet you saw fit not to comply with it nor furnish me with the relevant documents at that point.

You cannot have it both ways. You cannot say that you wanted to be sure under The Data Protection Act that my position was clear when for the previous three or four months your company had, through its telephone operatives, “released the hounds” on me. Surely then your operatives should have been ensuring the debt was correctly assigned to me before all the threats and intimidation over the telephone began?

It seems to me that your procedures are badly skewed here. Where is the logic in aggressive chasing and threats BEFORE you have ascertained precisely the correct debtor? Unless of course you operate a strategy of bullying people into paying for unproven debts?

Whilst it will serve no purpose to remind you of the consequences for a breach of a CCA request the general rule of thumb of 12 days + 30 days still applies. You can argue that you weren’t sure about my letter but the fact is the Act is clear on the time frames your company has with which to comply with my request and you failed to do so.

You then move onto say you never received my letter of the 5th September. This letter was actually faxed to your office on the 5th September. Nevertheless the clock was ticking from the 23rd July and despite your sterling attempts to suggest otherwise, it is clear your company has committed a breach for which I retain the right to take further.

Your position is further weakened as you are STILL in default of providing ALL relevant information under the CCA 1974. The copy agreement you have provided clearly mentions accompanying terms and conditions yet you have failed to supply these to me. May I point out that until such time as you comply with the CCA request in entirety this account remains in dispute and is not enforceable. This includes a requirement on you to supply all documentation referred to in the agreement.

I would therefore request that you send them to me as well.

Once I have these documents, and after taking advice, I will be in position to correspond further with you.

I await your rapid response.